on 12 October 2012
After reading entry 19, I decided that the first thing I would do after finishing this book is write a long and pointless review for it on Amazon.

I've been unreasonably excited to get my hands on 'The 100 Most Pointless Things in the World' ever since discovering it was being written (thank you, twitter), and now that it has arrived and I've read the entire thing from cover to cover in one sitting, I can gladly inform you that it exceeded all expectations. Xander and Richard, the fabulously charming, intelligent, witty and handsome gentlemen that they are, have really outdone themselves.

They make some surprisingly valid points about many things you've never even thought about, and while I disagree with some of them (*cough* readysaltedcrispsarethebestflavour *cough*) in most cases they really are spot on. And they're very funny too. Each of the 100 things has a short section dedicated to it which has been written up by one of the two men, indicated by whichever of their disembodied faces stares out at you from beside the chapter title. This is a system I failed to recognise until about a third of the way through the book, which is why I'm mentioning it in the review, as a heads-up.

As well as this, there are even some nice quiz questions and pointless facts, and even some cryptic clues for anybody who no longer values their sanity of free time. Luckily there are also answers in the back.

One final note to Mr Osman, just in case he ever chances upon this: Don't act innocent - I've been to a Pointless recording and I had a remarkably good view of your very brightly coloured rainbow socks.
11 Comment| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2017
Good book, as described.
on 6 April 2015
Great book
on 8 November 2012
I actually counted down the days until this book was released and I was not disappointed. A fantastically funny countdown of Richard and Xander's 100 most pointless things - if you enjoy Richard's rants on the show then you'll love this book. I downloaded the Kindle version and was curious as to how the Q&A parts would work but its fine, you just click the link and it redirects you to the answer. Also there are a few hidden gems in this book!!
on 30 October 2012
I laughed so much reading this book, its really clever and funny. A lot of interesting facts too, random stuff that I've been telling everyone I know!
The best bit is that you can share various topics with whoever you want (ie. shouting at football on tv came in handy one day...!)
There is a few questions and quizzy bits that are fun for the family to play, I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys pointless or just enjoys being entertained!
on 6 December 2012
Pointless is one of my favourite TV programmes and this book is just so funny. Definately worth buying! Hope they write another one..
on 26 January 2013
This book is not pointless. In fact it is full of good points very well made and in a way that had me frequently laughing uproariously and reciting bits to anyone who would listen. Even the chapter headings make me laugh. It is not just 'one of those books based on a series you enjoy that will be a good extra pressie at Christmas/Birthdays to pad out the more expensive items'. Oh no. It is clever, hilarious and packed with facts and compulsive quizes.

The pictures that denote the author of each chapter are a nice touch but not necessary as it is impossible not to hear Richard Osman's voice as he denounces pandas or razors (and their increasing blade-age) or any such beef that has you nodding along gleefully. Likewise Alexander Armstrong's jovial flights of fancy have his DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid - well done if you got that at home) all over them.

I highly recommend this book and suggest you don't relegate it to the bathroom.

One final point to Mr Osman - how would we cope at the '99p shop' without 1p pieces?
on 13 December 2012
If you like the quiz show, then you will like this little book. Enhance your pointless knowledge.
Great for the after Xmas dinner fun!
on 17 February 2013
I bought this for a gift at Christmas and wasn't sure how it would be received. I didn't need to worry it kept the recipient laughing all over Christmas. Richard and Alexander are both very clever and this book is well worth the money
on 22 November 2012
After learning of this book's existence from Richard Osman's Twitterings I was keen to get my hands on it as a gift for a friend who is a massive fan of the show. Of course being the curious person I was, I read only the first couple of `pointless things' (one of these being the non-introduction) before deciding I needed my own copy. I picked this up at one of the two book signings Osman and Armstrong attended and can confirm that they are just as polite and charming as they appear on the TV.

The 100 sections on various pointless subjects are concise, to the point and excellently written. I found myself agreeing with a lot of the points and realising that quite a few things in life are more pointless than you first think. There are also quiz-type questions, the answers to which you can find at the back of the book. Oh I do enjoy books where you find yourself learning and laughing at the same time!

Quite simply this would be an excellent gift to entertain any member of the family or indeed yourself. A quick read, but informative and guaranteed to have you smiling.