The Empty House
Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 November 2016
Alice, 17 and pliant, falls for a rugged farmer whilst on holiday in Cornwall from London with her dominant mother. His phone call and letters are kept from her, and she returns to London heartbroken. Eventually she makes a loveless marriage, only returning to Cornwall after the death of her philandering husband. Eustace is still single and the pair meet up again. This is a good, insightful tale set in a beautiful place.
on 28 January 2017
Young widow finds herself and an old love. Very dated, even for the first publication in 1973; like an adult version of The Famous Five with constant sunshine, hungry children and new kittens. If you want something more substantial about Cornwall, read the wonderful Mary Wesley.
on 19 January 2017
I loved this book from start to Finnish. Rosamunde Pilcher is a wonderful storyteller, full of descriptive writing in total balance with the narrative. This is the second book I have read by her and it will not be the last.
Caroline
on 18 January 2017
I absolutely loved Rosamunde Pitchers The Shell Seekers and have read it several times and for me it is still her best work by far. I found The Empty House lacking and it didn't grip me at all and I had to force myself to read to the end. Others may like it. I didn't.
on 10 June 2017
I like the easy to read style. Keeps you interested without being too complex to follow.

Perfect to read when there is little time to concentrate.
on 22 April 2017
The Empty House
A bit slow to get going, this was a good story but ended rather suddenly, I would have liked it to go on a bit longer after Virginia and Eustace got back together.
on 23 February 2018
Enjoyable read that satisfies the maternal instincts of female readers. Descriptive narrative is as always beautiful. A pleasurable read as always
on 10 January 2015
Having read and enjoyed winter solstice, coming home and September I was hoping for another story which would satisfy and charm. Sadly this book fails, it is a thin and predictable tale in the manner of mills and boon. Can only assume this was one of Ms Pilcher's earlier attempts and she later found her style and developed her writing style.
on 10 February 2018
I found Anthony to be a cad for things he got away with
Virginia found her soulmate in the final last few words of the story.
on 28 March 2013
I have to echo the view of some other disappointed readers. The Shell Seekers and September are among my all time favourites and this is just not in the same league. The characters' lack of depth is astonishing compared to this author's other work. I also have an issue with how she attributes the flaws in one woman's character to the fact that she does not have children. What she deduces from that fact is frankly insulting and undermines Ms Pilcher's credibility. Give this one a miss I say.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse