Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 August 2015
Tunnel Vision: V.I. Warshawski 8 .. by Sara Paretsky is just that ..... Another typical VI v The Money people story. This time we find ourselves chasing homeless people through the flooding tunnels beneath Chicago in a desperate bid to save them and the runaway daughter of an eminent figure...
on 28 June 2017
Excellent story, full of twists of the plot and plenty of flawed characters to make it more believable than many novels. The VI Warshawski series is an entertaining one with lots of drama.
on 31 May 2016
Yep, usual sort of thing. Not as good as other novels, and I wonder if Paretsky is running out of steam. This felt rather formulaic - Vic goes into battle yet again against the wealthy and the powerful, who are almost by definition corrupt. It stretched my credulity more than once - I began to wonder if anyone would really put themselves through all this pretty tough treatment. But it was enjoyable, well-plotted, quite complicated (so I had to concentrate!) but none the less a good holiday read. However, even back in 1994 when first published, the term "queer bar" and the slightly scornful description of its customers is not good.
on 10 November 2013
This isn't the page turner I'm used to with Warshawski stories. I used to devour her stories on a long flight but this one didn't hold my interest to the same extent. It is hard to say why. The plot is fine with the usual dare devel antics from VI but I didn't care about the characters one way or the other. I think the real trouble was the prose - somewhat pedestrian as if it was done in too much of a hurry or it was ghost written. I've vowed to go back and re-read one of her earlier books to see if I still feel the same way.
on 30 March 2014
I always know that with this author I will be carried along with the flow of the story, and will be very sad when I have finished the book.
At least Sara has written a whole lot of books so I can find another one of hers to fulfil my need for a good read. Her stories are always so cleverly constructed and the heroine is someone I would like to be similar to. (In my dreams)
An interesting story that was very readable, thank you Sara
on 28 June 2002
The thought of female P.I detective fiction might put off male readers who would rather not read the rantings of an angst-ridden feminist. It shouldn't. The Warshawski books are well worth the read and this one tops the lot of them. Since Vic first took her Smith and Wesson out of its holster, she has been delighting readers with her adventures and mis-adventures. Paretsky subjects the poor woman to more physical abuse and emotional turmoil in each volume than one person can reasonably be expected to cope with in a lifetime and 'Tunnel Vision' is no exception as she limps down Chicago's darker passages on the latest of her typically quixotic and altruistic quests.
V.I is but one of the well-drawn characters of Paretsky's series. The long suffering Lotty is another beautiful and complex character who doesn't take any c#*p either and she is joined by a host of other innocent bystanders who become entangled in the debris of the private-eye's wonderfully complex life. The emotional element is touching but never mawkish; the action is engaging but never gratuitous and as Vic crawls Schwarzeneger-like to the book's conclusion we are merely left waiting for the next one, hoping that Paretsky will let her loose on Chicago's streets one more time. I have yet to read her latest effort 'Total Recall' but 'Hard Time' did not disappoint.
I was introduced to V.I by Kathleen Turner but fortunately in the form of an excellent Radio 4 dramatisation of Deadlock with Eleanor Bron as Lotty, and not by that direst of films V.I Warshawski. (This film canibalised the worst events of the first few books and skillfully extracted the Paretsky's charm and gift for story-telling.)
For readers who haven't read Paretsky start with Deadlock and Killing Orders. Better still buy the three-in-one volume and save yourself the time.
on 6 December 2011
VI's strong sense of social justice and nose for corruption take her once again into the seedy side of Chicago life. Juggling investigations, friends old and new, and her current relationship takes its toll but VI is resilient, brave and resourceful. A strong, satisfying read.
on 31 May 2015
This isn't as good as I expected and it dragged a lot. Not Paretsky's usual standard and I was glad when I'd finished it. I hope the next in the series will be better.
on 15 October 2013
This did not grip me like her previous VI stories, the plot dragged and I haven't bothered finishing it yet. Such a shame as I'm normally a tremendous fan.
on 31 July 2015
I have been a fan of Sara paresky for many years and she has never failed to deliver and I have always enjoyed vi warshshawski