Customer reviews

1,309
Doctor Sleep (Shining Book 2)
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 22 December 2016
I am a Stephen King fan and love the Shining, and I am use to Horror/Paranormal books and movies. This books is absolute terrifying (in a good way) from the beginning. Written in a classic Stephen king, I had to stop for some days and then return to read it because the details were so 'on point' that it was almost a movie in my head.
Excellent book!!
on 5 January 2014
I wasn't sure about this at first as I couldn't see how we would be able to follow Danny and Halloran into latter years, yet I should have known better than to doubt; Mr King has produced a great story that will have you hooked from the first page to the last.

While it works well as a stand alone book, I benefitted more from having read The Shining as the characters were already embedded in psyche. Mr King does describe what's going on and mentions The Overlook and how Danny got his shining which is why those that haven't read the previous will be able to enjoy, but I'd advise anyone that's not read the shining to do so before picking this up.

The interlocking of the past and present is done with such an ease (and the skill you would expect from such a great writer) that the book flows from one page to the next in a non-stop fashion; once I'd picked it up I didn't want to put it down.

Each character is described in such full detail you can easily visualise them which to me helps bring a book to life; you don't just read about them, you actually feel as if you are starring in the book with them (almost as if you are a fly on the wall watching what's going on).

Again like so many of his stories I don't see this as a horror in any way, but as a coming of age story and a narrative of Danny's life and how he been able to move on from the tragedy of his past, to become the man of his own destiny and future.
on 2 July 2017
Overall I enjoyed the book. Would have given it 5 stars but the ending was just a tad underwhelming - so where the first 200 hundred pages to be honest. It is enjoyable, I don't wish to put anyone off reading it.Just accept beforehand it may take a bit of extra commitment.
on 8 November 2013
Ever since I read the shining and saw the movie, I always wondered what happened to Danny, how his time in the Overlook Hotel changed him. When I saw that this book was coming out I pre-ordered it instantly. This book was really good. The plot, characters and story were all fantastic. A must read for any Stephen King fan's, or for those who also wanted to know what happened to little Danny.
on 18 June 2017
Not as good as "The Shining" but not bad. Nothing could be expected to live up to the likes of "The Shining", "It" & "The Talisman" etc. Interesting to know what happened to little Danny.
on 7 July 2017
As a follow up to The Shining, I wasn't too keen on the way the story began. Wasn't keen on the sad way Doc was portrayed. Have to admit, though, once I got into it, I really enjoyed it! Our hero redeemed himself!
on 8 October 2013
I ordered this on Kindle on release day and had finished it less than 48 hours later. There is a reason that Stephen King is known as the master of his genre, and Doctor Sleep is his latest superb offering.

Following his childhood horror at the Overlook Hotel Danny Torrance has grown up, and this book shows his life as a man with a difficult past, alcoholism, and the gift and curse of the shine.

I won't write more as it would be a shame to spoil it for anyone else, but read this book. You won't be sorry.
on 25 March 2017
If I could give this ten stars, I would. My perfect read.
on 8 June 2017
It's over 30 years since I read the shining, so as well as going back to meet old acquaintances it was a trip back to my teens. Although this is a sequel the main character is used asa vehicle to introduce us to a new heroine and a new kind of evil, lower and more deprived than your run of the mill vampires. So yes you do find out what happens to Dan Torrence, but you also get a whole lot more.
on 2 July 2014
When I first started to read this after having just read The Shining, I kept thinking 'oh no, little Danny's grown up' and what a path he's taking. The more I read, the more I understood about the path. This is truly a masterpiece. I very much recommend this. The underlying life lessons are filled with humility and maturity. Very respectful of the past, present and possible future.