on 17 July 2017
Not an easy book to review due to the nature of the content, however I feel compelled to give it my best. I was inspired to read this book after visiting the Jewish Quarter in Prague earlier this year. This book was on sale at the Jewish cemetery, however I waited and purchased through Amazon.

The book charts the life of Eva Schloss, step-sister of Anne Frank, and a holocaust survivor. Her time in Auschwitz is difficult to read, compelling and also uplifting. Her years afterwards and her way of living some kind of a life are inspirational. Roughly the book is broken into three chapters of Eva's life. Before Auschwitz living in Austria and Holland before the war; her time in Auschwitz; and the life she created for herself after the war into the modern day.

For those generations for whom the holocaust draws a blank expression, this book is essential reading. It shows the worst and best of humankind in its 314 pages and I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to read it.

God Bless you Eva and your family for having the courage to bring your story to the world.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 June 2017
I haven't read this as it was bought as a gift but the recipient (who is very interested in history and world events) thought it was a beautifully written account of such an horrendous period. She said it made her cry but also made her smile. I think I'm going to borrow it back as it seems to have made a real impression on my friend. My friend said it's a book everyone should read if we are to never forget and learn from mistakes of the past.
on 20 May 2017
Really interesting read comes off as very honest and god bless Eva for sharing her story in this book!!!
on 9 June 2016
Fascinating story. Gets a bit tedious when the tale turns towards the politics of publishing the story of Anne Frank.
on 13 June 2013
I'm just lost for words .Eva you are such an amazing woman,so glad to have read your story,thank you for sharing this with us
on 30 April 2013
This is a very moving and inspiring story from a dignified and caring lady who has suffered, purely as a result of racial hatred, more than the vast majority of us will ever know or understand, and yet the message which she carries to the younger generations and to prisoners and to the world in general is one of tolerance, understanding of difference and the need for people live together in peace. I hope her message continues to inspire people around the world for many years to come.
on 23 May 2013
I decided to purchase this book after seeing Eva on the BBC Breakfast news. Eva is Anne Franks stepsister and I read Anne Franks Diary about 20 years ago. This book is beautifully written and details the life of Eva, her mother, father and brother and their lives before the 2nd World War, their capture by the Nazi's and their time spent at Auschwitz, and how mother and daughter survived Auschwitz and had to rebuild their destroyed lives. You can't even imagine the horrors that they witnessed and experienced during this time. I have been unable to put this book down and believe that everybody should read this book.
on 4 March 2016
Felt like 'jumping on the band wagon'
on 29 April 2013
every once in a while a genre needs a shake up and this book, to me, is that very thing. We learned about the Holocaust in school and were told by parents and grandparents. We were told how brave the people were. We were told how bad the Nazis are. This book answers a question for me. Could she forgive? I know I couldn't. I also think that I would have been a coward. I could never be brave enough to put these experiences on paper. She must have spent hours in tears of mourning for the losses she experienced. The only question I have is: how did the first Seder or Passover go? It puts my priorities in order. Family first.
on 20 July 2013
I would recommend that you read Eva's Story by the same author before this book as it describes her time in Auschwitch in much more detail. That being said, I really enjoyed this well written, touching story. The message that is presented is one that the world should not forget.