Format: Hardcover|Change

on 21 June 2017
You can pick and choose his advise. The main theme is to remain objective, however, in hindsight, everyone is bound to be right.
on 1 June 2017
Great thanks
on 4 January 2016
Really like it. While you may not agree with all the ideas, just considering them provides you with an insight.
on 3 February 2015
Great read.. Can read it piecemeal . It's more of food for thought book !!
on 27 April 2013
`The art of thinking clearly' by Rolf Dobelli took 10 days to arrive. It is hardback, but thick paperback sized (326 pages), made up of 99 Chapters each of two to three pages.

Originally the text was written as a series short magazine articles, so this is in effect a bound collection all in one place.

Rolf tackles the many ways in which thinking errors can occur (what we think is going on, and what is actually going on, can and often is very different). In a sense this is quite profound, we all run around with models of how the world works (and interconnects), and these models provide a handy short cut to quick decisions rather than thinking things through from scratch every time. Rolf clearly and logically and with examples shows us how and why these models are in error (the links are incorrectly connected) and while there might be good material going in, the wrong model all but guarantees the wrong material out.

As humans we are programmed for the here and now, long and very short time scales are difficult for us to grasp, big numbers are just big numbers etc. Rolf tackles psychological perception and how we can be confident and sure about something, yet we have mislead ourselves or been mislead by others, but our confidence means the alarm has not sounded. These sorts of thinking errors have been well researched by psychologists, but largely buried in academic journals and tomes. Rolf brings them out, makes them live and contemporary, and with examples shows, actually, anyone with a working brain needs to beware.

So this is less a book about `The art of thinking clearly' and more a book about `I think, therefore I err', and is no less valuable for that, just don't expect methods, plans and exercises for thinking clearly.

Finally, perhaps a perfect book for the modern age, we move too fast for our own good, a book which in very short hops takes you on a (thoughtful) journey, easy to pick up grab a page or two, put down to await the next `reading bite' opportunity. Take it from start to finish, or dip in an out, it makes no difference, each Chapter is stand alone. For me at least, £7 very well spent.
on 19 January 2016
Thought provoking, prepare to be challenged (in a good way). Well done Rolf.
on 22 April 2017
Arrived on time and product as expected.
on 6 May 2013
Rolf Dobelli has compiled 99 cognitive errors in one delightful anthology. His text is entertaining, and I often found myself smiling and nodding along in agreement with his short anecdotes. The book reads like a blog; each chapter is discrete. Thus, readers needn't peruse the chapters in any particular order. In that sense, "The Art of Thinking Clearly" is a good coffee table book (an advantage of the hard copy over the ebook); I could pick it up and leaf through the chapters that took my fancy at ease. I found the volume to be a great conversation starter among friends.

Although Dobelli doesn't include any original research, he breaks down difficult cognitive science theories into layman's terms and aptly illustrates various biases that govern human actions. His ideas are provocative and lead to further reflection. I garnered an insight into how my brain's cognitive errors dictate my everyday behaviour. Since I've finished the book, I find it difficult not to analyze my every thought and action to try to figure out what bias - if any - is at work. "The Art of Thinking Clearly" shone a new light on my understanding of the thought process.

This is a light, educational, fun read.
on 5 July 2013
I bought this because this genre interests me and it had a glowing reviews. But actually the writing style is simplistic bordering on patronising. The writer comes across as an enthusiastic hobbyist rather than an expert, and he presents some fairly obvious concepts as dramatic revelations. For instance, it turns out advertisers use pretty people to sell products (really, this was one of his breakthroughs). Having previously read Taleb, who is almost hero worshippes in Dobelli's book, I found the art of thinking clearly to be much less of a breakthrough. I would recommend Dobelli's book to anyone who has never thought about behavioural psychology before, but for most people Taleb is better (if in himself, a breathtakingly arrogant writer).
on 27 March 2013
The concepts in this book are so smart and straightforward, you will kick yourself for not knowing and applying them in your life already. As you read through the book you will find many instances where you can relate your own action or more importantly your own inaction to a cognitive error. In essence, the book provides you with necessary frames to make better more informed decisions. For me, understanding how sunk cost cognitive error has framed my inaction on taking a decision to move past a bad business decision will be worth many times the cost of the book. The Art of Thinking Clearly is for everyone but business people, students and university faculty in particular will find this book a thought provoking read.