on 26 March 2017
Not at all sure what this book is meant to do.
on 17 April 2017
No idea ,do not think I bought this
on 31 March 2017
Very little here that wasn't in the first Happier book.
on 16 September 2012
I loved The Happiness Project and was so looking forward to this follow up. I'm a fan of Gretchen and follow her blog. But be warned - this is very thin and adds very little to the previous book. My advice is look carefully before you commit to buy...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 October 2012
I don't read self help books and I don't have a particular obsession with happiness, but when I was given, as a gift, Rubin's first happiness book, the "Happiness Project", I found it very interesting and captivating, so I got this book as well.

Rubin once again explores different ideas about happiness, by first researching both scientific studies, philosophical ideas, and discussing with people what makes them happy, and then by trying these theories herself. I think that what makes Rubin's work special is that she doesn't issue directions and affirmations from her high horse, but makes herself the guinea pig of her own experiment. Like she did with the "Happiness Project", she assigns each month to a specific area of happiness. This time she focuses on ways to be happier at home and her project lasts for a school year, from September to May.

Even though my lifestyle is very different from Rubin's, and probably our only thing in common is our love for reading, I still loved the book. It is written with honesty, a sense of humour, and a great understanding of human nature. Also, Rubin is not afraid to admit what doesn't work for her; I know that for some people it is hard to believe, but meditation or acupuncture don't work for everyone, and I am so glad that I found someone to agree with me. You don't actually have to have anything in common with Rubin to appreciate or even benefit from this book, because it is not a handbook for the reader to imitate her lifestyle and her kind of happiness. Her most important rule is to be yourself and discover what makes you happy. With her books, she provides the tools, the knowledge, encouragement and inspiration, and then it is up to the readers to create their individual Happiness Projects.

I know that some people found that this book hasn't anything new to add, but I disagree. Indeed Gretchen Rubin is still the same Gretchen Rubin, the method she uses is the same, and her understanding of happiness hasn't changed, but that is not the point. In this book she explores new ideas and discoveries, she delves even deeper into her pursuit, and even some of her old themes and ideas are now evolved. Also, I found her writing even more relaxed and personal; reading the book almost feels like discussing happiness with a friend. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed the "Happiness Project", having said that, if you haven't read The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun, I think you should start from that first book.
on 21 September 2012
A fantastic follow up to 'The Happiness Project'. I loved the first book for its easy to swallow advice, humour and relatability (if that is a word). I've lost count of the times I've read different passages, nodding my head in recognition in spite of the geographical (and probably economic) differences between myself and Rubin. I've seen a few slightly negative reviews along the lines that the second book doesn't break new ground. Well, perhaps in terms of overall themes and theories it doesn't. But I think to say that would be to miss the point. The foundations were laid by the first book and have been built upon in the second. You see, this stuff is a bit like a diet book. You're really inspired while you are reading but after a week or two passes you can start to lose focus and motivation. This second book picks you up and sets you off again. I sincerely hope there will be a third book.

The appeal of both books lay in Rubin's voice which is candid, humourous and engaging. Whether intentional or not, the streets of Manhattan waft straight from the page into my small town in England. So to do Rubin and her family. They feel like characters in a book that you just want to hear more and more about.

I'd never buy a self-help book about learning how to increase my happiness but I do love reading about real peoples lives, particularly when they are working towards a particular goal whatever that may be. Any, yes, there is plenty of advice and helpful ideas, some of which I have put into practice with good effect.

I found Rubin's writing utterly gorgeous. Gold stars to you, Gretchen!
on 27 December 2013
I read the happiness project and loved it. I finished it in two days or so (whilst travelling) and found it motivating and interesting. However, the opposite has to be said for happier at home. I feel that rather than a second book we are being given the same anecdotes, quotes and examples from the first book- with a different title. The photo books being one specific example of this. If you have read the happiness project, then I would save your time and money and try something else. I have found it so repetitive that I haven't even finished reading happier at home.
on 23 October 2013
I loved the first book 'The Happiness Project' - this is pretty much more of the same. Nothing new or groundbreaking, but a useful reminder of what she did before really. I like the author, the writing is a bit heavy on research though and its an intelligent read rather than a book you can dip in and out of. Plenty to think about though and if you are already a fan you'll probably find it useful. If you've never read this authors work before go for 'The Happiness Project' instead of this as its more comprehensive
on 6 March 2013
if you loved the happiness project then you will love this book. More great tips and projects to make your life that bit happier
on 23 January 2016
I read The Happiness Project and found it offered an encouraging perspective, since it focussed on small things rather than the big transformations often recommended in self-help books. She sounded like a pretty normal person just wanting to get more out of life.
This book is really just more of the same - i don't think it adds many more insights to what was presented in the first book. If you want to read more about Rubin's daily life, then read it, but don't expect it to add much to what she has already written. This looks just too much like a bandwagon book, written to earn more money off the back of The Happiness Project. I think readers who pay full price for this follow-up deserve a bit more!