on 1 October 2012
I loved The Happiness Project and therefore bought this one the day it came out on Kindle but as other reviewers have said there is not enough new material to sustain a whole book . Disappointing sadly and more or less a re-hash of her previous work .
on 12 December 2012
If, like me, you enjoyed 'The Happiness Project' then you'll love this book. The author has researched widely and offers her thoughts on how to enjoy a happier and calmer home life. I'm working on putting them into practice.
on 27 October 2013
Her first book is fabulous. So I was really pleased to see she has written another. However, it was pretty more of the same and I stopped reading half way through. Shame really as the first book was so great.
on 20 November 2012
I loved The Happiness Project, but this seemed much more thrown together and half-hearted, with very little new insight or ideas. Suspect her agent and publisher thought it was a good idea, as the first one sold so well, but her heart wasn't in it.
on 16 October 2012
I bought this book as it was mentioned on Brene Brown's blog. (author of The Gifts of ImperfectionThe Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to be and Embrace Who You are I love Brene Brown's work and on her recommendation bought this book. Gretchin is very honest in stating that the details of her own happiness project will be very different to those of anybody else's project; what makes one person happy won't necessarily make another person happy, and a lot of what she set off to do seemed really common sense to me e.g greeting and leaving your loved ones with warmth. She also seems to have a different take on life to me so when she started the book with "possessions" i really didnt agree with a lot of what she was saying, but there were these gems of insight that she would present and I think thats what she does well through out the book. I did not agree with everything, some things I thought were so common sense they didnt need to be pointed out, sometimes it felt like she was over-quoting BUT the whole way through there were fantastic little gems of insight dropped in which were worth the read. The book has a lovely point of living in the now, rather than waiting for a happier tommorrow to arrive. Its a good book but i was let down only because of all the hype that surrounded it which made me expect greater things (for which i would recommend Brene Brown's book instead). Perhaps i should read her previous book, but i think i will content myself with a copy from the library rather than buying it.
on 26 January 2014
Always considered, funny and thought-provoking, Gretchen Rubin seems to be a one-off in her blend of intellectual curiosity, practical sense, passion for her subject and honest soul-searching. At times, this seems an exhausting search for perfection in every day life where clutter is not tolerated (or continually sniffed out) but this is balanced out by Rubin's self-deprecation and self-awareness. I really enjoyed reading this and feel it is a book I will return to.
on 8 November 2013
I am enjoying this immensely as a follow up to the first happiness project book - so easy to read and many valid comments and ideas. Book arrived very quickly, well packaged and is a/welcome addition to my shelf.
on 12 November 2014
After absolutely loving The Happiness Project, this was a disappointment. I'd read the bad reviews before buying and thought that maybe it wouldn't be as bad as they stated. Compared to The Happiness Project, this is a damp squib of a book. It's a sort of recap of the first book rather than adding anything to it. I love the whole idea of the Happiness Project and follow Gretchen on YouTube and her blog and you can get everything that is in this book from those sources.
on 18 April 2013
I bought this book because I'd borrowed Gretchen Rubin's first book from the library and really enjoyed it and the reservation queue for this book was so long; but also, because I felt that I had freeloaded enough on her blog and it seemed fair to reciprocate in buying the book (plus there is a lot of promotion of the book on her blog, which is fair enough!)

I don't think that this book adds all that much to the first and, indeed, some of the paragraphs are practically identical. That said, I found it a very compelling read and finished the book in two sittings over a couple of days. I think part of the fascination for me is that you get a really detailed insight into the lives of an extremely privileged, well-connected family (apparently) living a dream life in Manhattan.

It would be easy to dismiss the books as the self-involved complaining of someone who has never known any real hardship (a fact the author acknowledges herself multiple times). However, the fact that she deals with the same inner turmoil and petty grievances as the rest of us is reassuring. I like her very frank and honest style (sometimes too frank in writing about the short-comings of her husband and some of her friends)and feel that she writes with a complete truth that hooks you in.
on 1 November 2012
Bought this as I wanted some advice since becoming a stay at home mum. First book was better nothing really new and it's more her own reflections, I bought how to be stay at home mum and found it of more use.