on 16 October 2017
Very rarely buy cookery books these days as I have a lot and other recipes are sourced online. However, I flicked through this whilst staying with friends and was impressed enough to buy a copy. The recipes are very good and there is a wide range to choose from. All have worked out beautifully so far.
5 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 October 2017
This made a really good gift for a friend.
Ive also borrowed it from her a couple of times and found the recipes easy to follow.
Theres food for all types of cuisine and to suit a variety of tastes.
Gordon knows his stuff!
An essential for any kitchen.
on 17 November 2013
I consider myself a beginner cook. So I try to collect all kind of cooking books for beginners. I already have Jamie's books. I also have a Jacques Pepin book. So I ordered this one because I like Gordon's meals and thought it might be good.

It is indeed an interesting book. It has detailed descriptions and explanations about what equipment you need, different kinds of spices, different kinds of meats and specifics about each of them. It has beautiful photos of the meals although not every recipe has a photo. Each recipe has hints and tips about the preparation.

Generally I think the book is great but I dropped a star because it lacks cooking times estimation. I like to decide what to cook depending on cooking time and since the these recipes don't have that I have to read through the instructions and infer the required time.
on 13 April 2014
The only two cookbooks that I have ever read that were a true cookery course were Deila Smith's Cookery Book, and an Italian Book I found in a used book store. Both described in excellent detail all the ingredients they use, when they are in season, what to watch out etc. In essence knowledge and wisdom from someone who has been cooking for a long time as well as recipes.

Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course is packed with excellent recipes and is a really good price for the £5 i paid for it. It has some good tips for certain foods but it isn't a cookery course. Had it not been for the low price I probably would have limited myself to 3 stars because of the title stating to be an 'ultimate cookery course'. With a change in the title and a pricetag of £15-20 it would have been a comfortable 4-5 stars.

The design is beautiful and the layout is makes in information in the book very clear. Would highly recommend.
on 25 May 2017
I've really enjoyed this cook book, no fussy hard to get ingredients and differing levels of cooking throughout. I have to say the soda bread with buttermilk is so so easy to make and superb, I make this all the time now. The tastes are slightly more delicate then say Jamie Oliver's, maybe more English, everyone has enjoyed everything I've made from this book so far.
on 4 November 2013
Not a Gordon Ramsay's fan normally - due to prejudiced views à la swearing etc. But I was very impressed by his series of cookery course on TV. Tried out his short-ribs from Channel 4 website and well, the rest is history. Bought his book and still not a super cook but my meat-cookery has improved tremendously. Nothing cloying or over upbeat like some, just straight forward instructions gently guiding me along to the final product which tasted great! so pleased.

The layout of the recipes is good. Instructions more or less following the sequence of the list of ingredients, therefore the line of thought is not all over the place making the cooking experience comfortable. The recipes are not the usual bog-standard but standard with a twist and more. Have tried many of the recipes and all successful - which is a great feat for a hit-and-miss cook.
on 3 October 2012
After finding myself rather enjoying the TV series, I decided to buy Ramsay's book. Amazon, as per usual, had a superb price for it, which made the decision very easy.

The book itself is weighty and robust; ideal for coping with the bumps, spills and mucky fingers that tend to be in the kitchen. As for the content, I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'Ultimate', but I certainly find it extremely useful. While not all of us will have saffron in the cupboard for making mayonnaise, or be able to afford a whole beef fillet to make a steak sandwich, a lot of these recipies I find to be simple, affordable and quick. This seems to be Ramsay pared back. A much higher digree of simplicity and a greater focus on time and effort saving. This can be seen in the Eastern influence in many of the recipes. My flatmate joked during the TV series that if you had garlic, ginger, spring onion, chilli, lime and soy sauce, that you would be able to make anything in the book. While not quite that basic, influences like this make sure that your stock of day-to-day items goes a long way.

In all, I've found this book to be extremely useful and inspirational. As someone who takes a great deal of pleasure from cooking, it helps me to ensure that the quicker meals I prepare on a weekday evening are varied and delicious, as well as providing some longer, slower and more indulgent ideas for when I have more time.

Mr Ramsay, you've done it again.
on 28 October 2013
GR used to be known for being a gobby twit, but I happen to like him and where he came from to get where he is today. His achievement only came from many long hours working in kitchens and pure hard work learning his trade and reaping the rewards for his accomplishments. Personally I don't want a library full of cookery books I want one or 2 really good ones that fits in with my life style easily. The Ultimate Cookery Course does what it says on the cover, it has easy amazing recipes that don't break the bank for the ingredients but it also gives you some great tips on the way from the best culinary utensils to cheats but without the B.S. G.R is like marmite you either loath him or love, but don't judge a book by the cover as I've had the pleasure of reading his 2 autobiographies which created a lasting impression on me. He is man who is the dogs bo*****s at his trade but also a great husband and father, you must be a very proud man!!!
on 16 January 2015
Easy to follow, easy to execute, and easy to buy the ingredients... what more could you wish for from a cookery book - oh yes... delicious recipes. Tried about two-thirds of the recipes in the book and only one has disappointed - not sure if it was the quality of our ingredients or whether it was just down to plain taste.

With this book you will produce a good range of excellent dishes for both every day cooking and for that special/difficult occasion. If you accompany this book with Ching-He Huang's book Chinese food made easy - and you won't need anymore cooking books.
on 25 June 2014
Really getting a lot of use out of this book. It's a slightly different layout compared to many other cook books. There are the standard type of chapters on meat, fish etc but also chapters on good food for less and cooking for one/two. The instructions are all step-by-step so following the recipes is easy, I like the 'how to' tips and I'm learning to not fear the really hot frying pan! I've followed about 12 of the recipes so far and there are still so many more I want to try. I have bought a few new things for the store cupboard (vinegars and smoked paprika) but Gordon tends to use things in lots of recipes so they aren't going to be sat in the cupboard going out-of-date. I can highly recommend the Chilli Beef Lettuce Wraps and the Smoky Pork Sliders. I think they'll both be new staples from now on.
Overall it's a fantastic cook book full of recipes I will use. This one is definitely worth the investment if you want to vary your repertoire, learn better cooking skills and enjoy delicious food.