on 20 March 2016
I like reading, and I like most of the books Chris Ryan produces, in my opinion he has a great talent.
This is a more "extreme" version of his writing, and it reads fast paced too.
The only critism, its not something to start reading with little time, it has a certain got to finish feeling.
Everyone is different obviously, but for me I enjoyed the book.
on 30 March 2015
This is one of the worst books I’ve read in the last twelve months!
A sweeping statement, perhaps? Let’s examine my reasoning.
First up, why did I buy it? In this case I was travelling at short notice and without my trusty Kindle, so nothing at hand to read. I live in a country where finding English-language books is like stumbling over a five-carat diamond while walking in the park. In my desperation for something decent to while away a few hours, I discovered that a branch of a well-known French hypermarket nearby carried books in several languages. Their shelves groaned… no they didn’t, there were less than twenty titles in English, and once I had eliminated those I had previously read and those genres that do not appeal to me, I wasn’t exactly spoilt for choice – one book left. Now, seeing the author was Chris Ryan should have been a guarantee of a reasonable action thriller without too much to task the neurons. This was my first mistake.
Fans of this author can usually expect a solid thriller, technically correct, given the man’s experience, and entertaining. This ‘story’ doesn’t fall under that description.
In essence it’s a collection of four intense action scenes (over long in some cases) populated by one-dimensional characters, totally lacking in any convincing argument for their deeds. The storyline was paper-thin, no, almost translucent would be a better description, and only served to move the protagonist as quickly as possible from one episode of violence to the next. My second mistake was to keep reading with the ignorant hope of tripping over, not a diamond, but something that would make the book something less than an exercise in how not to write thrillers.
Well I finished it and felt ripped-off.
Now, a further development: As I went to Amazon to post this review, and warn other potential unsuspecting victims, I discovered the author had previously released each of the four action scenes as ‘novelettes’ in their own right and therefore this manifestation was an attempt to monetise the ‘work’ done producing them. Now I feel doubly ripped-off – there’s no indication in the book’s blurb this was the origin of said piece of literary wool-pulling. I’m not even going to give the author an additional star for effort on this one. I wonder if I can use it as a paperweight?
Most definitely NOT RECOMMENED!
on 20 January 2015
First let me say I would consider myself a long-time Chris Ryan fan, having read most of his previous books, and along with those of his ex-SAS comrade Andy McNab, have enjoyed the true-to-life, behind-the-scenes 'feel' of these stories, obviously written from a great deal of experience and insight into the workings of special forces operations.

Lets face it, neither Ryan or McNab purport to be Dickens or Shakespeare, (or even Clancy, Leather or Baldacci) but you know what to expect and both usually deliver the thrills and excitement in spades.

Unfortunately, 'Most Wanted', along with the previous EXTREME title I recently read, 'Hard Target', dispenses with this sense of reality and comes across as an almost cartoonish/juvenile attempt at this type of novel (maybe it is aimed at a younger teenage audience?) and I am astonished at the number of good reviews this has garnered.

There is little or no character development, the narrative jumps from one improbable scenario to another without a break, and with the very unpleasant, unlikeable hero John Bald managing to escape a series of almost endless 'final' scenes while all around him fall in droves, there is a distinct feeling of a 'novel-by-numbers' here.

Don't get me wrong, the action sequences in this type of novel are usually what propels you to the next chapter. Here though, it is like watching a movie of endless car chases - one or two are great and enhance the story, but when one breathless encounter follows another after another with little break between, it becomes very tiresome indeed. As with 'Hard Target' it had me skipping chunks of yet another long description of guns/bullets/firefights/knifefights etc. etc. and had me looking forward to the end of the book.

Unfortunately, without trying to spoil anything, I did find the ending very disappointing and weak, leaving a feeling of 'why did I bother', not something I relish repeating, so I don't think I will be rushing to get my hands another Chris Ryan EXTREME title.

Look, you know that you aren't going to great literature here, and at best this type of book is great escapism or holiday read/page-turner, but I would urge any prospective Chris Ryan reader to give the EXTREME titles a very wide berth and instead go for 'The Kill Zone' or 'The Watchman' - far better written narratives which have a form and structure to take the reader through the story, rather than just a series of increasingly improbable situations for the main character to survive as with this one - not to be recommended.
on 8 September 2014
A poor story - too far-fetched and sadly, Ryan is now starting to pump out charity-shop shelf fillers. I find McNab a far tighter and better writer.
End of the line for Ryan?
on 2 December 2014
I have read quite a few of Chris Ryan's books, the last two being the extreme series. I think he is losing his way with his storytelling generally but with the extreme books they are all over the place to the point they are almost 'pulp' action books. The earlier books had a high degree of truth and realism to them probably because they were based on his experiences but currently his mind is running away with him and this is awful. Very disappointing.
on 4 December 2014
I am a fan of Chris Ryan books, but this one is very poor. There were moments when I hoped the hero would get killed so that I didn't have to suffer any more of the unbelievable story. The ending was rubbish.
on 8 March 2014
Writing very much like Andy McNab, what with Chris Ryan, being another retired S. A. S., veteran. Extreme Most Wanted was good.
He travel's to lot's of Country's, around the world, some of which, I've been to as a retired merchant seaman.
D. S. Jones
on 16 January 2015
The detail of the situations the character faces put you right in the heart of the action. No fancy 'Hollywood' hero spin here! It's a stunning incite to the world of a top post SAS operative. Do you love him, or do you hate him? You decide, it's a tough call
Gripping stuff
on 4 February 2014
up to his usual high standard and well worth aread as are the others in the Extreme range, Looking forward to the next one, fast acting and no pause for a breather
on 29 January 2015
Well i actually read it I really didn't enjoy this one as much as the last book I didn't like the main character John bald but it was a good story line and he didn't get what he wanted at the end