on 3 August 2017
Well plotted with colourful characters and a good storyline. Brings the ordinary people of Ancient Rome to life.
on 19 July 2017
I loved the Falco books and this moves the series on with a old character in a new role. You feel you could walk Ancient Rome after reading this.
on 18 July 2017
Written in a modern vernacular but still puts you right in the historical era. Lovely humorous touches, such as someone ordering a "full Roman" breakfast! Looking forward to reading more.
on 15 December 2017
Lindsey Davis never disappoints with her Falco/new generation novels.
on 20 September 2017
Brilliant. Couldn't put it down! I love the Flavia Alba books.
on 14 August 2017
A great book! Enjoyed it even more than the Falco books!
on 6 April 2017
Must admit I was a bit nervous as to whether Flavia Albia would live up to the wonderful standards Ms Davis set with Falco, but I the adult Albia is a wonderful, powerful female character. "Tiberius" sounds interesting!
on 20 June 2017
This is the first book in the Falco: The New Generation mystery series by Lindsey Davis.

Flavia Albia, daughter of successful investigator Marcus Didius Falco, is following in her father’s footsteps, even though it is an unlikely profession for a woman in Ancient Rome. Albia is looking into a tragic accident, when a series of unexplained deaths, including that of her client, puts her into the middle of a dangerous hunt for a serial killer. The young investigator is not only faced with danger, but has to cope with bureaucracy, prejudice, and even her own inexperience.

I love mysteries and I have a special interest in Ancient Rome, so this book seemed perfect for me, but although I found it quite enjoyable, I wasn’t thrilled. The atmosphere of Ancient Rome was great; the excellent detail in the descriptions of places, customs and everyday life of the time, truly transported me to 89 AD Rome. Also, surprisingly, Albia as a female investigator in Ancient Rome, was very convincing and very likable and even with her blunders, she still kept me interested in her story throughout the novel.

My main problem however, is that the actual mystery plot is not very well structured and engaging; there is a lack of suspects, plot twists, or any real suspense. I guessed who the killer was early in the story, but the person’s motives and personality, though explained, were not very convincing.

The plot was somewhat disappointing, but I had a wonderful time in Ancient Rome with Flavia Albia and I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series, hopefully with a more interesting mystery story.
on 17 March 2017