on 18 June 2017
Not as good as falco
the fantastic family go forward this time with didio falcons adopted daugher solving the problem and making a life for herself in masochistic rome where only men are thought to have a brain ( but the women rule ) funny and sad love affairs and murders a plauge of death by a monster who poisions with needles a, charming but dangerouse man and strong willed lady detective fighting to make her living and her mark on the world of rome ... Lovely
on 27 March 2017
If you haven't read the Falco books, then read them first. It's not that you need to know the background, it's that they are much better!
Compared with the Falco books the characters are limited and flat. There is no one to compare with Helena or Petronius or Falco's many relatives. The plot is OK, but not really gripping.
However - if, like me, you are a Falco fan and have read all the books and just want more, then this one is similar enough to be enjoyable. I liked it enough to want to give the next one a try.
on 25 October 2013
I loved the early Falco books (and the middle ones too) but was not so keen on the later ones which I felt had run out of fun a bit. The female perspective in this one is great. It seems like a cross between Falco and Course of Honour which I also really enjoyed. I think this book has renergised the whole series.
Loved it.
on 1 May 2017
I loved, and demolished all of the 20 falco novels, loving the way the narrative made you feel for him and his family, this new series with his adopted daughter carrying on the family business was a brilliant introduction to a different kind of Rome with different perils. I'm hoping that we will see some more of the family now albia has come into her own, a great start to the new generation...
on 19 November 2015
I have read all of the Didius Falco books and loved then. So I thought that I would try the new series. I did not enjoy and will not follow this series
on 6 April 2017
Must admit I was a bit nervous as to whether Flavia Albia would live up to the wonderful standards Ms Davis set with Falco, but I the adult Albia is a wonderful, powerful female character. "Tiberius" sounds interesting!
on 20 June 2017
This is the first book in the Falco: The New Generation mystery series by Lindsey Davis.

Flavia Albia, daughter of successful investigator Marcus Didius Falco, is following in her father’s footsteps, even though it is an unlikely profession for a woman in Ancient Rome. Albia is looking into a tragic accident, when a series of unexplained deaths, including that of her client, puts her into the middle of a dangerous hunt for a serial killer. The young investigator is not only faced with danger, but has to cope with bureaucracy, prejudice, and even her own inexperience.

I love mysteries and I have a special interest in Ancient Rome, so this book seemed perfect for me, but although I found it quite enjoyable, I wasn’t thrilled. The atmosphere of Ancient Rome was great; the excellent detail in the descriptions of places, customs and everyday life of the time, truly transported me to 89 AD Rome. Also, surprisingly, Albia as a female investigator in Ancient Rome, was very convincing and very likable and even with her blunders, she still kept me interested in her story throughout the novel.

My main problem however, is that the actual mystery plot is not very well structured and engaging; there is a lack of suspects, plot twists, or any real suspense. I guessed who the killer was early in the story, but the person’s motives and personality, though explained, were not very convincing.

The plot was somewhat disappointing, but I had a wonderful time in Ancient Rome with Flavia Albia and I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series, hopefully with a more interesting mystery story.
on 17 March 2017