Customer reviews

1,137
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 April 2015
This is a convincing summary of an MSc course in mindfulness and the psychology of the brain that is an accessible read for non experts. It provides a well argued, and cited, explanation of the behaviour of our brains and how it affects our ability to respond to different situations.
on 1 November 2014
I found the book interesting to learn about how the brain works.this takes the first half of the book then she talks about mindfulness which I found helpful and related to most of the things she said. Was funny at times all and the medical research proves that mindfulness does work .
on 19 April 2014
I bought this book as I have an interest into the workings of the mind - as powerful and feeble in equal measure as it can be - and thought that there may be some interesting insights into it in this book (having seen it publicised on The ONE Show recently). I must say that there are some interesting sections and snippets in the book, and found it an interesting read, however I fear that I may know more about the workings of Ruby's mind than my own, as it decends into mini-rants about her past at times; although these are entertaining, and you really can hear her voice as you read! I can't help but feel that if she'd have stuck to the workings, and examples other than her own it would have been a more insightful read. Still, interesting and entertaining none the less - well done Ms Wax, not bad - but feel the publisher could have pointed her into expanding some areas and reducing others to make it a better book.
on 21 November 2013
Ruby Wax has a way of writing about depression which makes it understandable to those of us who have only recently been diagnosed. It would also help those who know nothing about the condition. She explains ways of coming to terms with depression and how to defeat it. Thanks Ruby.
on 18 August 2013
Ruby's humour makes what is a very serious subject extremely palatable and even just dipping into the book one can come away with life changing ,practical help in coping with the vagaries of life.
Definitely worth reading over and over again and the exercises are invaluable.
on 2 May 2014
I enjoy Ruby's fast paced narrative very much. It makes the book very readable. I do not suffer from depression; I read this book to improve my understanding of depression - I learned a LOT more. All of it useful I recommend this book to everyone, especially teachers and carers.
on 29 March 2016
I didnt know that Ruby was a sufferer of depression, nor that she was so interesting! This book was informative, heartwarming and useful _ written with just a touch of humour. It inspired me to do a Mindfulness course. Good for her for her honest writing on a difficult subject.
on 20 April 2016
I enjoyed this book mostly because of the brilliant advice and tips but also for the stories and antidotes. It has a no nonsense approach which is refreshing in itself. Its obvious that a lot of research has been done but put together with the Ruby Wax humour. Very informative.
on 29 July 2014
Thank you Ruby.....I twitch my toes a million times a day in a bid to hold onto my now. By the way we do exist -the ones who get the train before the train, the plane before the plane....

I recommend this-if you want it to it can change your life!

Readers
on 28 March 2016
...such as those by Shamash Alidina, Prof Mark Williams, Danny Penman, or Vidyamala Burch instead.
Is "Sane New World" about mindfulness or about being happy? Yes, peace of mind might be a side-effect of practising mindfulness, but it isn't its goal. Mindfulness is about being present. I feel cheated that I bought this book but at least it was on offer so I didn't spend too much. Ms. Wax's writing style seems oddly judgemental and compassion-less for someone who's a regular meditator, but then maybe there's no need for me to be so judgemental myself. The book did contain some useful (basic) neuroscientific facts and research results (although I'd have liked to have seen the evidence so I could have read more about the studies myself), hence the two stars. If this book helps some people find a calmer or more mindful way of being, then it has been worthwhile. I personally preferred the other writers' (mentioned above) books on mindfulness.