Second Glance
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 January 2017
I was so torn with this. I am an enormous Jodi Picoult fan - she is the reason I have such a love for books, so I wanted to love this like I love all of her books. Sadly, I just didn't. The first flaw for me was the huge amount of characters introduced so early on - and add to the fact that they are all in some way linked, I just couldn't keep up. And then, the storyline. This was such a wonderful concept which was once again just lost on me. Far fetched, complicated, over the top and way too intricate. A shame but by no means a reflection on Picoult. She is gold.
on 24 June 2017
I loved all the people in Second Glance. I felt the pain, frustration, hopelessness, ecstacy, relief, longing, regret, wonder and so many more emotions that were conveyed so brilliantly. I loved the way that so many ends of different pieces of string were brought together and tied into beautiful bows as I had wanted them to be. Every time I read a Jodi Picoult book I can't wait to read the next and would highly recommend any of her books to a reader who wants to be emotionally charged, lost in a story and totally gripped but who is also prepared, at times, to sacrifice everything else they should be doing to reading.
on 12 August 2012
Having been slowly working my way through Picoult's books, this is a clear standout from her works. Unlike her other novels it follows a slightly different formula, yet still has a sense of Picoult's charm. The book has a great beginning and gets straight into the plot, making it a relatively easy read, yet this book is full of surprises and every character has a back story, making it almost thriller-like in genre.

The plot itself follows a man who feels he has lost everything searching for the ghost of his love, his sister, her son,a little girl having nightmares, a police man and a few other seemingly unrelated characters. Undoubtedly the best part about this novel is how it all comes together and the genius with which Picoult makes you want to laugh and cry all in one sentence.
Second glance is a mystery, a romance, a thriller and slightly paranormal, its a roller coaster ride, you can't get off. even people getting bored of Picoult will be able to appreciate the story telling in this noel.

i would recommend this for lover of Picoult, but also for people looking for a way out, of the paranormal romance rut everyone seems stuck in after twilight. although the some areas of the book may initially seem irrelevant my advice is persevere read every word, and be amazed at how it all fits in the end.this book has been one of the clear highlights of my summer and will be passed on to everyone i know, because it is such a rewarding novel.
on 1 August 2013
I'd not read any Jodi Picoult books for a long time, the last one being The Pact which, brilliant as it was, I found the subject matter very difficult for me at the time BUT Second Glance is fantastic, brilliantly written as usual and the subject matter, story line and characters were so interesting/intriguing/believable I read the whole book in two days! Whilst the story doesn't really lend itself to a sequel part of me really wants to know if Ross and Meredith live happily ever after and will finding Meredith make him 'mortal' again
on 7 November 2012
I first read this book as a paperback five years ago. I downloaded the Kindle version this week and even though I enjoyed re-reading the book, the terrible Kindle formatting spoiled the experience. A rip off at £4.99!

If you want to read this book, go for the paper version. I had to keep referring to my paperback trying to make sense of it.
on 3 January 2018
I really enjoy this author's work and this was no exception and was a change from the courtroom based dramas she normally writes. As with all her novels it was a gripping storyline with characters that made you feel for them
on 1 June 2017
Nothing like Jodi picoults usual books and one I had difficulty putting down
I would definitely recommend it to anyone.
on 8 July 2012
I normally breeze through Jodi Picoult's books but this one took me a little longer. I read it in the Kindle version and sometimes it wasn't clear when the story was changing to a different thread due to the lack of distinct paragraph breaks. There are also a lot of characters introduced in the first part and this can be confusing. Having said that the book is worth sticking with. There are no shocking endings as with some of Ms Picoult's other work as all is explained and some of your suspicions about the plot are confirmed. I would definitely recommend this book.
on 21 July 2013
I think in this book, while the formula of alternating chapters for each character still worked the story tried to deal with too many subjects. A mother with a child who has an illness, her brother and his depression, ethnic cleansing in a certain part of America, and the history of Cherokee Indians. It just didn't flow as well as some of her other books.
on 17 January 2018
Interesting read but hard to get into at first,however once you do then I found it compelling. Well written as with all Jodie Picolts books