Customer reviews

1,209
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 February 2017
A masterpiece.

One of my favourite Jodi Picoult books ever written.

One beautiful march morning, a student enters his high school and starts shooting. He kills 10 and leaves their small town reeling. But look a little deeper - you'll be page turning like there's no tomorrow.

This was stunning. A tome of almost 600 pages - every one of them complete gold.
on 9 August 2017
Whilst Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult didn't quite capture me as much as her other works, in particular The StoryTeller and Small Great Things, I would still definitely recommend this book to purchase. Picoult, a talent writer who manages to incorporate multiple plot elements and character development within all her books, did not fail to do so here. The characters are well thought out, interact with each other beautifully, and develop throughout the story in a manner which always leaves me impressed. Nineteen Minutes immediately from the first chapter captures your attention, and without giving too much away, Picoult takes you on a journey which is worth every penny.
on 1 May 2017
And I really loved it. A sensitive subject, but beautifully handled. Each chapter was dedicated to an individual character, which worked well and although I thought it was a bit slow in the middle, (something which happens in many novels) the ending came without my seeing it ! So, please, read till the end! I plan to read Great Small Things next.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 January 2011
I've read several Jodi Picoult books and admire her ability to use page-turning fiction to make one think about moral issues. As in House Rules the main character in Nineteen Minutes, Peter, is a teenage boy who is different from his peers and suffers for it. The book starts with Peter rampaging through his high school killing fellow class-mates and others. The rest of the book is an insightful and humane laying out of the possible reasons for his violent outburst and the huge effect the killings have on his parents and the victims and their families. The author writes of trials and tribulations of adolescence with sensitivity and understanding. As in other Picoult books I've read so far such as Salem Falls;Mercy and Handle with Care, the later part of 19 Minutes is a engrossing court case with surprises and disappointments. The author is very adept in her enactments of the cut and thrust of court procedure. The book is not just a catalogue of heart-rending material but also has happy scenes of romance and friendship.
I had been starting to get worried that Picoult's books were becoming more about quantity rather than quality; but 'Nineteen Minutes' really is a return to form.

If you've read a Picoult novel before, you'll be on familiar ground in terms of structure; there is the usual crime and then twists and turns until the trial at the end. There are some subtle changes though, this time we are taken back and forth in time so we can better understand what turned Peter Houghton, a high school misfit, into a murderer. It's a credit to the writing that she manages to make us feel sympathy for a character that has done something so incomprehensible.

Also in the mix are a couple of familiar characters, Jordan Mcafee (the defence lawyer from 'Salem Fallls' and 'The Pact') and Patrick Ducharme, the POlice Officer (from 'Perfect Match'.) I won't give too much away, but I'm glad that Patrick has a happy ending.

I'm really glad I read this book. If you've been disillusioned with Picoult's writing of late, you'll welcome this return to form.
on 11 July 2013
I bought this because a friend recommended Jodi Picoult and this was the cheapest one. When I started reading, I realised I had uninentionally chosen a pretty depressing subject but it wasn't unecessarily gory or graphic and it was written in such a way that you still have some sympathy for the murderer and understand why he was screwed up enough to want to kill so many people. I sort of guessed what would happen in the end but the twists and turns still develop in unexpected ways. It was well well written and I would like to read more Jodi Picoult
on 12 October 2009
My first Picolt novel was My Sister's Keeper. I enjoyed that very much and have picked up a couple of others since as I wanted an 'easy' read. I say 'easy read' because they are quick reads even when they tackle difficult subjects.

This was a difficult subject - why does this sort of thing happen? I wasn't sure I wanted to know. But I got stuck in nonetheless and overall I enjoyed the storyline. But I got confused a couple of times and I think that's down to the editing (or lack of).

Unfortunately these books are sometimes a little predictable - but then that's one of the things about easy reads which I can read on the train.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 August 2013
I have read many books by Jodi Picoult and I think she is an awesome writer and tackles subjects that are real and draw you into the book.

I had seen the film and debated for so long whether I should read this but I am glad I read the book also.

Both good and the book made me cry more than the film andi am also had a slightly different twist.

Well worth a read.

KARRIE
on 4 July 2013
This was a very sad book but I thoroughly enjoyed it and near the end figured how Jodi would finish her book. I suppose it's sad because it happens in real life and if you are a parent it's even scarier. It has made me listen to my daughter more and praise her instead of nagging her over trivial things.
Life is very short make the most of it - this is what I got from this story.
KARRIE
on 1 April 2017
My new favourite book which is saying a lot considering how many good books I've read. It's a very powerful, thought provoking and moving novel and I highly reccomend it!!!!