on 9 April 2017
Enjoyable read, mostly up to the usual Sacred Diary standard. But two questions and two gripes. Question 1: what was the point of Josey's health scare? It felt like an uncomfortable and unnecessary add-on that the author had not thought through. Question 2: what was the point of the nasty manager? He was a totally static character and his presence in the book was never justified. Gripe 1: Plass clearly loves writing the Fidybus stuff, but it's not funny and actually rather irritating. Gripe 2: Father John, the saintly mouthpiece for Plass's own views, is actually just as annoying in his own way as the intentionally-infuriating Minnie Stamp. Kill him off and give us more Leonard and Angels next time please!
on 16 July 2013
I was delighted when Adrian Plass brought back his Scared Diary again. Ive
read all the others and was looking forward to his latest offering.

There are some great laugh out loud moments and as always Adrian can tell a tale
like no other christian writer. The church weekend setting gives plenty of scope
for funny situations.
On the downside it just wasnt as strong as previous books and there was not enough time to get
to know the characters, in my opinion the first half of the book was the best it tended
to wane a bit at the last.

That said it is still a very enjoyable read.
on 26 June 2017
Adrian Plass at his best. I love the mixture of humour interspersed with the insightful telling of stories and observations that touch you at a deep level. I absolutely recommend it!
on 4 May 2017
I really enjoyed this book. I was feeling a bit down about my disabilities, but reading it made me laugh often, which I really needed. Thanks, Adrian!
on 18 April 2017
Fabulous book. Adrian Plass makes me laugh out loud and through his inimitable style manages to bring me closer to God and reflect on my own experience, faith and understanding of it.
on 2 October 2013
Reading books written by Adrian Plass is a bit like looking at a picture on the wall laughing at the imperfections only to gradually come to the realisation that you are looking in a mirror.

This book had the many laugh out loud moments anticipated, however it was the heartwarming interaction between some of the characters that left an indelible impression.
on 2 March 2017
Too short!! Loved this book...wanted so much more of it!!
on 15 July 2013
Ok. We've all grown up. Adrian's grown up. The cast of characters have all grown up. Even Gerald's grown up! And, sadly, I've grown up too. It's perhaps why I just didn't "get" this. Adrian still has a wonderful ability to create completely believable moments of emotion and provoke the applicable emotional response in the reader. However, times have changed. The humour just didn't work for me this time around. It strikes me that a "Church Weekend" was a bit of a cliche, as they have been for many, many years. An easy setting for humorous situational comedy. But, as Ben Elton can prove, even masters of the art can fall flat sometimes.

The beauty of the original Sacred Diary was how "normal" it was. It could've been any Church, anywhere. The characters resonated. They were just like people I knew! Everyone knew a Leonard. Everyone had a Flushpool in their Church. The sheer absurdness of the reality was it's brilliance. Sadly, I just don't think this hits the same level. The original sequel (Christian Speaker) was excellent, as were the Theatrical Tapes and also Andromeda's story. I love the writings of Adrian Plass. He has amused me, moved me, challenged me more than many, many others. I wanted this to be brilliant, but it's just "ok". Sorry Adrian, I wanted to write a brilliant review, I really, really did...
on 4 September 2015
present
on 4 June 2015
I liked this as I like nearly all Plass`s works. But I don't think this was nearly as good as the other books in the Sacred Diary series. The last book was brilliant and I enjoyed Leonard and Angels haplessness but I did think it went a bit over the top in AP and The Church Weekend. I felt that the joke was being stretched too thin there. Also didn't find the Schizophrenic Support Group gag very funny. I'm not politically correct or anything but I didn't find it funny. Maybe because I know people with schizophrenia and Plass`s portrayal of the illness seemed a bit caricature. I realise it was meant to be a bit funny but to me it just grated. I expected better treatment of this issue from a sensitive writer who has suffered emotionally himself. The spiritual content was as nearly always with Plass, good and touching although again, I the last two books were better with that one. But still a good read. I never like to miss a Plass book