Customer reviews

Self Compassion
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 December 2015
A life changing book:the ideas seem so obvious that I found myself 'yeah yeah, tell me something new..'ing, and then I had this disconcerting recognition that it might be obvious but I wasn't doing any of it! This book made me want to actually follow the guidance rather than just read it...and together with the mindfulness strategies and meditations (mark Williams book) life has changed hugely in a positive direction. I'm much more content, happy, and as a result I am easier around others. , My only regret is that I could have done with reading this book about fifty years ago!still better late than never and I will really appreciate the next fifty years having had the past fifty plus as balance! Huge thanks to the author.
on 1 October 2015
I wish I'd read this book a long time ago...it would have saved me a lot of struggle! However, in the spirit of Neff's message, I'm truly grateful that I've read it now! If you are, like me, a leading expert in self-criticism then please read it. I've read quite a few 'self-help' books, but whilst reading this I could actually feel myself becoming more 'open' and beginning to, not only having a better and honest relationship with myself, but with others too. I hope you get as much out of this book as I have...happy reading :)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 October 2017
Effective book giving guidance on how to be kinder to yourself. Uses a lot of mindfulness techniques to help with the journey. I am pleased with my purchase and would buy again.
on 17 March 2018
Still haven't finished this as I found it slightly heavy going unlike Paul Gilbert's book: the Compassionate Mind. Interesting yes & with lots of sensible advice but it didn't resonate as the aforementioned book did which was much longer & more detailed. Probably just me & how I relate to these sorts of books but I think I'd recommend Paul Gilbert over this one.
on 26 June 2016
This book is really good. I highly recommend it. I suffer from anxiety and depression, and found the exercises helpful.
on 25 December 2017
This book has helped me a lot, while reading it I experienced a couple of challenges and was able to practice the principles taught which enabled me to cope. Life events are inevitable, how we deal with them is the only thing within our control and I highly recommend it.
on 18 June 2015
Kristin Neff is a teacher of Compassion and Mindfulness. This is an interesting book that is filled with exercises that are so useful for helping the reader to achieve some of the compassionate state for themselves. The theory being that unless we can be compassionate towards ourselves, forgiving our mistakes, etc, then we can't extend it to others around us.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 April 2014
I kinder way to see yourself and others. It is the next step on from Mindfulness Meditation. One recommendation is stroking any part of your body, when stressed, to release oxytocin (the happy hormone) - it actually does calm you slightly.
on 25 August 2017
The book is valuable as a gentle narrative leading you into self compassion. The book itself however is low quality paper and poor print size.
on 25 October 2017
I'd recommend it for those who struggle with self worth,anxiety and depression.
Reassuring that you don't need to be perfect but just be.