on 10 June 2017
James May has compiled a delightful miscellany of tasks that a modern man should be able to tackle and achieve with the help of the guidance provided in this book, leavened with lots of his trademark humour. An enjoyable read even if some of the tasks are a little out of the ordinary but may be appealing to some readers.
on 24 June 2017
A good read
on 7 June 2017
A really good read. If you watched a lot of James May you can read this with his voice. I hope that is not just me.
on 3 June 2017
It was littered with too many nonsensical and useless things to repair or make making boring reading..
on 27 April 2017
GOOD
on 9 April 2014
In true manlab style I thumbed through this august tome whilst toasting my feet at the fire in my local with a foaming pint of best at my elbow. My regular chortles and occasional guffaw (top word that) drew disapproving glares from the nearby cribbage team embroiled in what was clearly a grudge match. The best way to describe the effect of the book on my wishy washy new man thinking was that of being in receipt of a damned good, straight down the line, talking to from a worldly wise uncle. The next day, duly inspired, I strode manfully down to the foot of my garden and 'sorted out' the huge trampoline that had been slowly falling apart for years. And, yes James, I WAS wearing overalls - in a rather dapper shade of claret. BUT, the trampoline did not, as I had intended, go to the local dump, oh no sir! Together with parts of a redundant barbie, I re-purposed the steel frame to create a seating area for a fire pit to enable NO.1 son and buddies to sit and do that essential teen male bonding thing, which will perchance lead to a new generation of manlab devotees. Nothing quite so manly as messing about with fire...Bless you Mr May for shaking me out of my wimp-like torpor!
on 6 April 2015
It's a good book
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 October 2011
After buying this book for my dad as a birthday present (he is a big fan of James May) I thought Id have a look through before wrapping it up. This book really is very good. Its informative, fun, accessible and a great read. The illustrations are super and really set the tone. It surpasses all expectations. I thought it would be predictable but its not. Well done James for giving us a thorough, well researched, well written book of usefulness! I urge everyone to buy it, read it and pass it on!
on 17 January 2012
My 16-year-old son absolutely loves this book. He has been an avid fan of the series on television so I bought this book as a stocking filler for Christmas. It contains some of what was covered in the TV programmes but also a lot of new and different things.
on 28 June 2013
My husband was thrilled as he loved the show. Made a great Father's Day present. I've even had a look through and found it really interesting and humorous too