Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 September 2015
My favourite Indian cookbook! And I have a few....
She uses a lot of oil, but I generally halve it and the recipes still work out well. I purchased a good sized mortar & pestle to use with this book, as she uses a masala paste in a lot of the recipes. I would advise this, as you get a better depth of flavour than you get with just chopping stuff up and it's a lot of fun (until you get chilli in your eye!)
on 13 May 2017
This cookbook has changed my life! I've rarely cooked vegetarian meals in the past but this book has changed everything. The tarka daal recipe is sensational. I must have made it 10 times or more in six months!
on 24 March 2017
Wonderful book, good food
on 18 August 2015
I've been a Western vegetarian for about 19 years, which basically means dairy, pasta, Quorn and wheat in large quantities, leading to a weight problem ...yes, yes, I know it doesn't have to be that way but this is my review so please be quiet :). In 2010 I had a revelation - I needed to learn how to cook Asian food, so I could eat lots of tasty and healthy Asian dishes, and move away from Western vegetarianism. The first problem was I didn't have a clue how to cook good Asian food - I hadn't grown up in an Asian household, learning at my mother's knee so to speak, so I began the very lengthy process of learning to cook another cuisine from scratch, when I'm not a particularly good cook in the first place. I bought a few different cook books - my inital food forrays into Asian cooking weren't pleasant on the taste buds and usually got thrown away. But my love of tasty Asian food made me persevere and bit by bit I started to make sense of what was being asked of me, particularly when I bought Kaushy's beautiful book. At the risk of stating the obvious I had to do a certain amount of shopping to get started - I would head out to the shops with a shopping list of spices, and as time went by I bought myself things like a masala tray and a flat bottomed pancake type thing to heat my chappatis. I have now mastered one dish so well, that I can make it almost with my eyes closed, but I make it every week like clockwork. I may just be making one dish successfully at the moment but I believe I have finally understood the processes of the initial mustard and cumin seeds, the asoefatida, the turmeric, the masala, of how to tie the whole dish together. I roast spices and grind them too! I love Kaushy's comments through the book about her family, and the beautiful pictures. It is absolutely my favourite cookbook.
on 12 July 2014
I originally gave this book 3 stars but having tried a lot more of the recipes, I feel I need to warn the reader -do not buy this book. I am a competent cook who has followed/modified many a recipe successfully (not just meat dishes - I was vegetarian for 10 years), but many of the recipes in this book are inaccurate and beyond salvaging, making the end result inedible. For example, aubergine satay - I've followed it step by step twice and had to throw it in the bin. Yet the author apparently won an award for it. Indeed, the book appears to be more a showcase for her own achievements than for the recipes within. I cannot believe she serves this food in her restaurant and feel she must have omitted certain things from these recipes so as not to give away trade secrets (although obviously, this is just my opinion). I'm also pretty sure she has not tried these recipes out for herself in the form in which they appear in the book, as otherwise she would realise they are overladen with oil and jaggery/sugar. I could go through all the recipe disasters I've had herein, but I've wasted enough time in that respect already. Some of the recipes do actually work with a bit of tweaking, but is that really good enough for £19.99? Shouldn't more or less all of them work without messing about for hours? I don't feel it is fair to market a book like this, as aside from the considerable cost, it could make a novice cook feel like a failure when the recipes turn out so badly, and put them off buying other books/cooking again. The solution I've found is to take a leaf out of the author's book - in fact take them all out and do the following: heat 5 litres of oil, 200g jaggery, 10g of raw peanuts and two tons of chilli, until it resembles one of the curries in the book. Next, add some door stops, sorry dahi vada, then slowly add the pages from the book and stir until the aroma of subterfuge and blowing one's own trumpet evaporates. Place it in the bin and go and buy Meera Sodha's 'Made in India'.
I realise this review might sound harsh, but I feel if someone is charging good money for a cookery book they have a responsibility to fulfil certain obligations, like actually testing the recipes.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 22 May 2013
For someone not particularly familiar with Indian cooking, this was a real eye opener for me. It is amazing how many different dishes you can create with a few spices, herbs, fruit and vegetables. A lot of recipe books contain many fairly predictable recipes but the majority in this one I would certainly not have thought to come up with myself. You can certainly tell that a lot of thought, care and attention has gone into this book. There is a very good introduction, with information on spices, utensils needed and general tips and practical information. I've tried several of the recipes and have many more I'd like to try and I can say that all have worked reasonably well so far. A minor criticism is that while there is a lot of information (I do like the introduction to each recipe) and extremely detailed step-by-step instructions, this can leave the pages looking very cluttered and a large proportion of the recipes do not have photographs. Despite not being the most neat and tidy book in terms of layout, the content more than makes up for this to leave a very good impression overall.

The contents page looks like this:

Introduction 8
Meal Planners 244
Kaushy's Store Cupboard and Supplies 252
Acknowledgements 254
Index 256

The full list of recipes (English description only):
Fenugreek leaf and banana bhajis
Potato fritters with coriander and pepper crunch
Stuffed chilli bhajis
Spicy cauliflower and cabbage fritters
Potato, pea and carrot parcels
Prashad spring rolls
Lemon and coriander potato balls
Fluffy chickpea and chilli dough balls
Spiced pea and garlic chapatti balls
Garlic-coconut filled potato balls
Shallow-fried colocasia leaf parcels
Stuffed colocasia leaf rolls
Seed-topped lentil cake
Spicy chickpea cake
Garlicky cucumber and rice cake
Mashed pea and cauliflower kebabs
Spicy peanut-marinated purple yam and potato
Griddled spicy paneer skewers
Seed-topped chickpea pancake rolls

The king of streetside India (chickpea, potato and samosa streetfood)
Savoury lentil porridge
Indian pasta and pigeon pea soup
Lentil dumplings with cumin yoghurt
Spiced-up rice
Chapatti in spicy yoghurt sauce
Speedy spicy sweetcorn
Indian garlic mushrooms
Fragrant fenugreek chapatti
Fenugreek and coriander pancakes
Potato and cauliflower stuffed flatbread
Spicy fried dough puffs
Crispy puffed rice, potato, chickpea, chapatti and chutney chaat
Flattened rice with peanuts and potato

Round aubergine satay
Aubergine and Indian broad bean curry
Aubergine and potato curry
Tamarind, tomato and potato curry
Ginger-chilli peanuts and potatoes
Spicy picnic potatoes
Punjabi cauliflower and potato curry
Corn-on-the-cob curry
Carom, onion and green cluster bean curry
Mustard seed, okra and potato curry
Mixed lentil curry
Tomato, carom and hyacinth bean curry
Stuffed ivy gourd curry
Bottle gourd and split chickpea curry
Garlicky black chickpea and potato curry
Cinnamon-spice chickpea curry
Fenugreek, tomato and okra curry
Spinach and mushroom curry
Garlicky curried purple yam
Green banana satay
Sweet and spicy cheese and peas
Spicy tomato and Indian cheese
Curried red and yellow lentils
Tomato and chunky vegetable curry
Crispy pancake with potato and coconut curry

Green coriander rice
Boiled basmati rice
Spiced vegetable rice
Cumin-infused rice
The king of rice dishes
Layered vegetables, rice and lentils
Soothing yellow lentil rice
Pan-fried chapatti flatbread
Fried puffy bread
Fluffy fried fermented bread
Gujarati jaggery bread
Sweet and buttery lentil-filled flatbread

Aromatic vegetable and lentil soup
Traditional yellow lentil soup
Spiced yoghurt soup
Green mango and fenugreek pickle
Sweet and sour Indian lemon pickle
Cinnamon and cardamom-infused sweet mango pickle
Pickled green chillies with mustard seeds
Chilli-garlic cucumbers
Chilli, carrot, cabbage and pepper salad
Fenugreek, chilli and apple relish
Coriander, chilli and garlic relish
Green mango and onion relish
Red pepper and carrot relish
Tangy green tomato relish
Apple and pea chutney
Garlic and red chilli chutney
Sweet and tangy tamarind chutney
Yoghurt and mint dip
Cool cucumber and yoghurt dip
Mustard seed, curry leaf and coconut dip
Sesame, peanut and coriander dip

Cooling mango yoghurt drink
Avocado and cardamom milkshake
Rose milkshake with ice cream and vermicelli
Ginger-infused tea
Cardamom, almond and pistachio rice pudding
Smooth and creamy cardamom yoghurt
Spiced fruit, nut and cracked wheat pudding
Speedy almond and sultana semolina
Traditional carrot and cardamom pudding
Sesame jaggery squares
Semolina and white poppy seed sweets
Indian coconut fudge
Jaggery dough balls
22 Comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2014
This book could turn even the most committed meat eaters into at least part-time vegetarians. The dishes are mouthwatering and the textures and flavours are superb. I find I have to cut down the amount of salt and chilli a little, but the recipes are very forgiving and this never detracts from the overall taste. If you're not used to cooking Indian food, my advice is go back to basics and take the Delia approach i.e. prepare, weigh and measure everything out fully before you switch the stove/pan on! If you're an experience cook you'll find these recipes easy, if you're a novice, try them on a rainy day when you've got plenty of time to potter around in the kitchen. Without doubt the best cookery book I bought in 2013.
on 15 February 2013
I only received this book as although Im not a practicing veggie its generally all I cook when Im at home. I also like a bit of spice in my food & after reading the reviews already on hear took the plunge.

On first look I was a bit dissapointed as there didnt seem to be that many straight forward curry receipes..But then I had bought this book as I thought the receipes were going to be something original so I can't have it all ways :-) Anyway I could read through the book time & time again or I could actually have a go at making something then make my mind up. Im so glad I did! I decided to invite all the housemates (so cooking for 6) for a meal involving 4 of the recipes as well as some dhal. I cant remember all the names but I made rustic flatbreads (my mouth is watering as I think of these, will be making them again this weekend for sure!), quick spicy sweetcorn (my favorite), riata (yay, I can make a nicer one that my localy take away now!), Garlicky black chickpeas & potato curry (I thought this was going to be pretty bland and dry, how wrong I was).

Every receipe was simple to make & really well explained. There wasnt a single bit of food left and the flatmates were still thanking me two days later! I cant wait to work my way through the whole book to learn new things and more importantly eat very interesting healthy food! Thank you...
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 July 2013
This book is the one! Fantastic photography, wonderful anecdotes, and stunning recipes. Real inspiring stuff. So easy to follow and so enjoyable to make - you can't go wrong. Dinner planners, shopping lists; this book has it all. And it's also just a really great book to sit down and read. Highly recommended!
on 14 June 2014
Prashad is an Indian vegetarian restaurant in West Yorkshire that was named Best Restaurant by no less than Gordon Ramsay. The word "Prashad" means "sacred offering" and refers to religious food offerings left at temples. Amazon happened to recommend Prashad to me as I was looking at other UK-authored vegetarian cookbooks. I was instantly intrigued, as I am quite familiar with Mediterranean and Middle Eastern vegetarian cuisine, but Indian cuisine is relatively unknown to me other than some Indian restaurant standards like tikka masala and saag paneer. I've been vegetarian for over ten years and am always on the lookout for new dishes to add to my repertoire, and "Prashad" opened my eyes (and my spice cupboard!) to the myriad of flavors and textures in Gujarati cuisine and introduced me to new ways of cooking that will make it into my regular rotation, particularly how to make masalas and tarkas (heating spices in hot oil). Gujarati cuisine is also very vegetarian-friendly as it is strongly influenced by Jain vegetarianism and traditional Hinduism.

I reached out to Prashad through Facebook and the restaurant was kind enough to send out an autographed review copy from the UK. The book is written by matriarch Kaushy (her son Bobby is the current owner and manager of the restaurant). Kaushy's four simple rules (fresh and fantastic, prepare, relax, and cook with love) and clear instructions make this flavorful vegetarian cuisine accessible to any level of cook. As many of the cooking utensils and ingredients were new to me, I particularly appreciated the illustrated guide to ingredients and utensils and the several pages of practical points, top tips and how to (roasting seeds, stopping eggplant from oxidizing, stopping dhal from foaming over, preventing tarka spices from burning, balancing spicy foods, etc.) Sharing extra food with friends and neighbors ("vakti vevar") is also an important step to creating community bonds in Gujarati culture. The several sample menus in the back will allow you to create an authentic Gujarati feast for family and friends with plenty to share!

As this is a UK cookbook, recipes are in metric / temperatures in Celsius, but as I frequently cook using metric, this is no issue as long as you have a good kitchen scale. Many of the starters / appetizers are fried, but Kaushy also provides instructions for baking them for a lower-fat alternative, which I greatly appreciated as I try to avoid fried foods. You will also find variations that will add extra mileage, and serving suggestions on what to pair each recipe with (I liked that the page numbers were provided for quick reference and tabbed those so I could quickly flip back and forth between the two). Beautiful full-color photos on matte paper and colorful illustrations of elephants and geometric prints give a much-needed splash of color and makes the pages "pop". At the back of the book is a guide of Kaushy's suggested brands, although most may only be available in the UK or online (the only commercial brand I saw near me was Deep). The clear step-by-step instructions with helpful visual and auditory cues ("when the mustard seeds begin to pop, turn the heat to low") make you feel as though Kaushy is standing next to you guiding you; Kaushy also gives cooking classes at The Cooking School at Dean Clough Mills, which I would love to attend.

I also loved the sample menus for special occasion feasts, weekend dinner party, and three sample quick midweek suppers. This section is particularly well-suited for new cooks, as Kaushy gives timing instructions for each step of the dinner so all the dishes are ready at the same time. This is extremely helpful and something which is frequently left out of other cookbooks.

The most difficult challenge will undoubtedly be finding the fresh Indian vegetables, pulses, and specialty flour blends locally; even with an Indian and Middle Eastern grocery store at my disposal, I was unable to source some of the more "exotic" ingredients like colocasia leaves, hyacinth beans, and bottle gourd, but found enough staples to make several of the dishes that caught my eye, including the pethis (garlic-coconut filled potato balls), handvo (seed topped lentil cake), paneer tikka (with homemade paneer that I added curry powder to from One-Hour Cheese: Ricotta, Mozzarella, Chèvre, Paneer--Even Burrata. Fresh and Simple Cheeses You Can Make in an Hour or Less!), ferar bataka (ginger-chili peanuts and potatoes), and chole. Some of the dishes like chole come together quickly, while others like the handvo require time for prep (the dough must ferment at least 12 hours). There is also a chapter on rice dishes and breads that includes many Gujarati staples such as rotli, bhakri, juvar na rotla, paratha, puri and bathura.

I have a notorious sweet tooth and am quite familiar with Middle Eastern desserts like baklava and basbousa and some Indian desserts like gulab jamun, but loved the carrot pudding, dhud pak (cardamom, almond and pistachio rice pudding) and mava lapsi (spiced fruit, nut, and cracked wheat pudding, which reminded me of the Ukrainian kutya) from Prashad. I enjoyed trying out some of the accompanying dishes like imli chutney; tamarind is easy to find in my town both fresh and dried, and I loved the tangy sweet-sour-spicy kick this gave to dishes. I am particularly fond of chutneys and pickles, which had always intimidated me before (I will admit to buying commercial chutney, which always seemed lacking or too sweet). I can't wait to try the murabho (cinnamon and cardamom-infused sweet mango pickle) as mangoes are plentiful in my city; I use piloncillo in place of jaggery as it is much easier to come by in my neck of the woods.

Pleasing to the eyes and stomach, Prashad opened up a whole new world of flavors and cooking techniques from Gujarati cuisine; a second Prashad cookbook is currently in the works, and based on the fabulous recipes and cultural tidbits in the first book, it will be on my must-buy list!

(Thank you to Kaushy, Bobby, and the Prashad staff for the review copy and I hope to visit you in Drighlington one day!)