on 15 February 2013
I only received this book as although Im not a practicing veggie its generally all I cook when Im at home. I also like a bit of spice in my food & after reading the reviews already on hear took the plunge.

On first look I was a bit dissapointed as there didnt seem to be that many straight forward curry receipes..But then I had bought this book as I thought the receipes were going to be something original so I can't have it all ways :-) Anyway I could read through the book time & time again or I could actually have a go at making something then make my mind up. Im so glad I did! I decided to invite all the housemates (so cooking for 6) for a meal involving 4 of the recipes as well as some dhal. I cant remember all the names but I made rustic flatbreads (my mouth is watering as I think of these, will be making them again this weekend for sure!), quick spicy sweetcorn (my favorite), riata (yay, I can make a nicer one that my localy take away now!), Garlicky black chickpeas & potato curry (I thought this was going to be pretty bland and dry, how wrong I was).

Every receipe was simple to make & really well explained. There wasnt a single bit of food left and the flatmates were still thanking me two days later! I cant wait to work my way through the whole book to learn new things and more importantly eat very interesting healthy food! Thank you...
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2014
Prashad is an Indian vegetarian restaurant in West Yorkshire that was named Best Restaurant by no less than Gordon Ramsay. The word "Prashad" means "sacred offering" and refers to religious food offerings left at temples. Amazon happened to recommend Prashad to me as I was looking at other UK-authored vegetarian cookbooks. I was instantly intrigued, as I am quite familiar with Mediterranean and Middle Eastern vegetarian cuisine, but Indian cuisine is relatively unknown to me other than some Indian restaurant standards like tikka masala and saag paneer. I've been vegetarian for over ten years and am always on the lookout for new dishes to add to my repertoire, and "Prashad" opened my eyes (and my spice cupboard!) to the myriad of flavors and textures in Gujarati cuisine and introduced me to new ways of cooking that will make it into my regular rotation, particularly how to make masalas and tarkas (heating spices in hot oil). Gujarati cuisine is also very vegetarian-friendly as it is strongly influenced by Jain vegetarianism and traditional Hinduism.

I reached out to Prashad through Facebook and the restaurant was kind enough to send out an autographed review copy from the UK. The book is written by matriarch Kaushy (her son Bobby is the current owner and manager of the restaurant). Kaushy's four simple rules (fresh and fantastic, prepare, relax, and cook with love) and clear instructions make this flavorful vegetarian cuisine accessible to any level of cook. As many of the cooking utensils and ingredients were new to me, I particularly appreciated the illustrated guide to ingredients and utensils and the several pages of practical points, top tips and how to (roasting seeds, stopping eggplant from oxidizing, stopping dhal from foaming over, preventing tarka spices from burning, balancing spicy foods, etc.) Sharing extra food with friends and neighbors ("vakti vevar") is also an important step to creating community bonds in Gujarati culture. The several sample menus in the back will allow you to create an authentic Gujarati feast for family and friends with plenty to share!

As this is a UK cookbook, recipes are in metric / temperatures in Celsius, but as I frequently cook using metric, this is no issue as long as you have a good kitchen scale. Many of the starters / appetizers are fried, but Kaushy also provides instructions for baking them for a lower-fat alternative, which I greatly appreciated as I try to avoid fried foods. You will also find variations that will add extra mileage, and serving suggestions on what to pair each recipe with (I liked that the page numbers were provided for quick reference and tabbed those so I could quickly flip back and forth between the two). Beautiful full-color photos on matte paper and colorful illustrations of elephants and geometric prints give a much-needed splash of color and makes the pages "pop". At the back of the book is a guide of Kaushy's suggested brands, although most may only be available in the UK or online (the only commercial brand I saw near me was Deep). The clear step-by-step instructions with helpful visual and auditory cues ("when the mustard seeds begin to pop, turn the heat to low") make you feel as though Kaushy is standing next to you guiding you; Kaushy also gives cooking classes at The Cooking School at Dean Clough Mills, which I would love to attend.

I also loved the sample menus for special occasion feasts, weekend dinner party, and three sample quick midweek suppers. This section is particularly well-suited for new cooks, as Kaushy gives timing instructions for each step of the dinner so all the dishes are ready at the same time. This is extremely helpful and something which is frequently left out of other cookbooks.

The most difficult challenge will undoubtedly be finding the fresh Indian vegetables, pulses, and specialty flour blends locally; even with an Indian and Middle Eastern grocery store at my disposal, I was unable to source some of the more "exotic" ingredients like colocasia leaves, hyacinth beans, and bottle gourd, but found enough staples to make several of the dishes that caught my eye, including the pethis (garlic-coconut filled potato balls), handvo (seed topped lentil cake), paneer tikka (with homemade paneer that I added curry powder to from One-Hour Cheese: Ricotta, Mozzarella, Chèvre, Paneer--Even Burrata. Fresh and Simple Cheeses You Can Make in an Hour or Less!), ferar bataka (ginger-chili peanuts and potatoes), and chole. Some of the dishes like chole come together quickly, while others like the handvo require time for prep (the dough must ferment at least 12 hours). There is also a chapter on rice dishes and breads that includes many Gujarati staples such as rotli, bhakri, juvar na rotla, paratha, puri and bathura.

I have a notorious sweet tooth and am quite familiar with Middle Eastern desserts like baklava and basbousa and some Indian desserts like gulab jamun, but loved the carrot pudding, dhud pak (cardamom, almond and pistachio rice pudding) and mava lapsi (spiced fruit, nut, and cracked wheat pudding, which reminded me of the Ukrainian kutya) from Prashad. I enjoyed trying out some of the accompanying dishes like imli chutney; tamarind is easy to find in my town both fresh and dried, and I loved the tangy sweet-sour-spicy kick this gave to dishes. I am particularly fond of chutneys and pickles, which had always intimidated me before (I will admit to buying commercial chutney, which always seemed lacking or too sweet). I can't wait to try the murabho (cinnamon and cardamom-infused sweet mango pickle) as mangoes are plentiful in my city; I use piloncillo in place of jaggery as it is much easier to come by in my neck of the woods.

Pleasing to the eyes and stomach, Prashad opened up a whole new world of flavors and cooking techniques from Gujarati cuisine; a second Prashad cookbook is currently in the works, and based on the fabulous recipes and cultural tidbits in the first book, it will be on my must-buy list!

(Thank you to Kaushy, Bobby, and the Prashad staff for the review copy and I hope to visit you in Drighlington one day!)
on 28 July 2013
This book is the one! Fantastic photography, wonderful anecdotes, and stunning recipes. Real inspiring stuff. So easy to follow and so enjoyable to make - you can't go wrong. Dinner planners, shopping lists; this book has it all. And it's also just a really great book to sit down and read. Highly recommended!
on 5 October 2012
My son made a career in the hospitality business and has worked at Michellin-starred restaurants and at top hotels. My brother is an enthusiastic amateur who has trained as a chef to professional standards. None of us are vegetarian. But we all agree that Prashad is without doubt the best place we have ever eaten and the most unlikely, tucked away down a side street in Bradford. I have been collecting Kaushy Patel's published recipes in the Yorkshire Post and I am absolutely delighted to see it come out in book form. My only worry is that store-bought spices will never measure up to carefully prepared fresh ingredients that they use in the restaurant, which I suspect is the real secret behind the sensational flavours. Forget Ramsay, Oliver, Blumenthal and all the rest. Everyone who enjoys good food should buy this book, vegetarian or not.
55 Comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 May 2013
For someone not particularly familiar with Indian cooking, this was a real eye opener for me. It is amazing how many different dishes you can create with a few spices, herbs, fruit and vegetables. A lot of recipe books contain many fairly predictable recipes but the majority in this one I would certainly not have thought to come up with myself. You can certainly tell that a lot of thought, care and attention has gone into this book. There is a very good introduction, with information on spices, utensils needed and general tips and practical information. I've tried several of the recipes and have many more I'd like to try and I can say that all have worked reasonably well so far. A minor criticism is that while there is a lot of information (I do like the introduction to each recipe) and extremely detailed step-by-step instructions, this can leave the pages looking very cluttered and a large proportion of the recipes do not have photographs. Despite not being the most neat and tidy book in terms of layout, the content more than makes up for this to leave a very good impression overall.

The contents page looks like this:

Introduction 8
Meal Planners 244
Kaushy's Store Cupboard and Supplies 252
Acknowledgements 254
Index 256

The full list of recipes (English description only):
Fenugreek leaf and banana bhajis
Potato fritters with coriander and pepper crunch
Stuffed chilli bhajis
Spicy cauliflower and cabbage fritters
Potato, pea and carrot parcels
Prashad spring rolls
Lemon and coriander potato balls
Fluffy chickpea and chilli dough balls
Spiced pea and garlic chapatti balls
Garlic-coconut filled potato balls
Shallow-fried colocasia leaf parcels
Stuffed colocasia leaf rolls
Seed-topped lentil cake
Spicy chickpea cake
Garlicky cucumber and rice cake
Mashed pea and cauliflower kebabs
Spicy peanut-marinated purple yam and potato
Griddled spicy paneer skewers
Seed-topped chickpea pancake rolls

The king of streetside India (chickpea, potato and samosa streetfood)
Savoury lentil porridge
Indian pasta and pigeon pea soup
Lentil dumplings with cumin yoghurt
Spiced-up rice
Chapatti in spicy yoghurt sauce
Speedy spicy sweetcorn
Indian garlic mushrooms
Fragrant fenugreek chapatti
Fenugreek and coriander pancakes
Potato and cauliflower stuffed flatbread
Spicy fried dough puffs
Crispy puffed rice, potato, chickpea, chapatti and chutney chaat
Flattened rice with peanuts and potato

Round aubergine satay
Aubergine and Indian broad bean curry
Aubergine and potato curry
Tamarind, tomato and potato curry
Ginger-chilli peanuts and potatoes
Spicy picnic potatoes
Punjabi cauliflower and potato curry
Corn-on-the-cob curry
Carom, onion and green cluster bean curry
Mustard seed, okra and potato curry
Mixed lentil curry
Tomato, carom and hyacinth bean curry
Stuffed ivy gourd curry
Bottle gourd and split chickpea curry
Garlicky black chickpea and potato curry
Cinnamon-spice chickpea curry
Fenugreek, tomato and okra curry
Spinach and mushroom curry
Garlicky curried purple yam
Green banana satay
Sweet and spicy cheese and peas
Spicy tomato and Indian cheese
Curried red and yellow lentils
Tomato and chunky vegetable curry
Crispy pancake with potato and coconut curry

Green coriander rice
Boiled basmati rice
Spiced vegetable rice
Cumin-infused rice
The king of rice dishes
Layered vegetables, rice and lentils
Soothing yellow lentil rice
Pan-fried chapatti flatbread
Fried puffy bread
Fluffy fried fermented bread
Gujarati jaggery bread
Sweet and buttery lentil-filled flatbread

Aromatic vegetable and lentil soup
Traditional yellow lentil soup
Spiced yoghurt soup
Green mango and fenugreek pickle
Sweet and sour Indian lemon pickle
Cinnamon and cardamom-infused sweet mango pickle
Pickled green chillies with mustard seeds
Chilli-garlic cucumbers
Chilli, carrot, cabbage and pepper salad
Fenugreek, chilli and apple relish
Coriander, chilli and garlic relish
Green mango and onion relish
Red pepper and carrot relish
Tangy green tomato relish
Apple and pea chutney
Garlic and red chilli chutney
Sweet and tangy tamarind chutney
Yoghurt and mint dip
Cool cucumber and yoghurt dip
Mustard seed, curry leaf and coconut dip
Sesame, peanut and coriander dip

Cooling mango yoghurt drink
Avocado and cardamom milkshake
Rose milkshake with ice cream and vermicelli
Ginger-infused tea
Cardamom, almond and pistachio rice pudding
Smooth and creamy cardamom yoghurt
Spiced fruit, nut and cracked wheat pudding
Speedy almond and sultana semolina
Traditional carrot and cardamom pudding
Sesame jaggery squares
Semolina and white poppy seed sweets
Indian coconut fudge
Jaggery dough balls
22 Comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2013
Some rather standard coriander, cummin and garam masala based dishes but the use of asafotida (hing) and tamarind works well.
Good advice on the use of garam masala too.
Everything I have tried has worked as described, unlike some cookbooks.
Nicely set out too so I recommend this and a Sumana Ray book if you're looking for some solid Indian Veggie fare.
Amendment: 4 years on and I still use this often. A few have become family staples and I have now tackled the more complex recipes and they've all worked well.
From simple to the complex, an excellent book.
I had the pleasure of sampling some of Kaushy's food at her cookery demo at Meat Free in Manchester in 2011, so I can assure you that it tastes every bit as good as it looks in this new book.

This is a perfect book for anybody who wants to learn how to cook good authentic Gujarati food. Here you will learn not only great recipes but also about some of the more exotic Indian ingredients such as patra, urad dhal and valor (hyacinth beans). The book is very narrative so you'll find lots of stories and explanations of the food. This is my opinion always takes a cookery book one step beyond just been a list of good recipes.

I thought the best tip you can take from this book though is Kaushy's four golden rules of cooking: always buy the freshest ingredients, prepare everything in advance, relax to enjoy your cooking and cook with love!
on 22 December 2015
If you like Indian food and you're vegetarian this book is an ABSOLUTE must. I've never been able to make Indian food the way they do in restaurants, but the recipes in this book come out even better than your average veggie Indian fare.
Yes, it's heavy on the spice, sometimes salt and sugar, and a lot of stuff is fried, but that's how you get the authentic taste.
With all the breads, rices, sauces and curries you could cook up an absolute feast for your friends, and the curries are pretty simple to make if you have a good spice cupboard and a pestle and mortar.
The red and yellow lentil dahl is the best dahl I've ever tasted.
on 20 September 2012
Before reviewing this book I must first paint a picture of the Prashad Restaurant in Bradford and the family that have produced it!

Being meat eaters my friend Vicky and I were a bit reluctant to go 'all vegetarian' until Gordon Ramsay revealed this little gem of a restaurant tucked away in Bradford. After watching them come very close to winning first place on his program we decided to give it a try and with much trepidation to try food without meat we were far from dissapointed.
The atmosphere was brilliant and the service second to none but the biggest thing was the incredible food and the fact there was no meat in sight. It was a revelation that as carnivores like us we did not feel disappointed and miss having any meat in any of the dishes we had.

Every dish is so different in taste, texture and flavour and the menu at Prashad, although not huge, gives such a diverse range of choices it becomes hard to choose what to order.

The dishes are all fabulous but there are some firm favourites we must recommend. The Bombay Pataka ( Bombay Potato ) is to die for and one of my favourites. The Dosa's are superb and one of Indias Street Food dishes I have never seen on offer anywhere else in Britain.
The Chole is fabulous and the Special Chaat ( Gordon Ramsay's favorite, and ours too ) is simply stunning and lights up the pallet with sensational flavours you simply can't resist!

I could happily eat this at every meal.

Their award winning Pethi's are to die for. You have never tasted anything so wonderful and delicately spiced and so mouthwatering. All the tastes and flavours and textures Kaushy and family produce are unique with no hint of anything being mass produced or swamped with a base sauce as in so many other restaurants.

This food is fresh, delicate, vibrant and more than that very moorish!

So, with recipes taken from the restaurant menu and the influence of Gordon Ramsay this book has been produced with help, advice and a colourful look at Indian Vegetarian Cuisine which is a must to see, read and try.
Nearly all the restaurant menu dishes are in the book as are many more from the family archives which is a real bonus.

We have met Kaushy and family and they are very warm and welcoming and the chefs enthusiasm and as she says 'the love' exudes from the food they cook. Kaushy not only cooks the food but takes her time to come into the restaurant and spend a while talking to you and making sure everything is okay and ask you what you have enjoyed and what you think could be better! Where else do you get this kind of attention to detail and attempts at pleasing their guests.

I think I must also add at this time I have read back this review and omitted to include a very important person from this wonderful family and great restaurant and that is Minal who is Kaushy's daughter-in-law. She was the other star chef who appeared on the Ramsay program and deserves an equal mention for her wonderful food and dedication to the business. She works alongside Kaushy and staff and has been in collaboration with Gordon Ramsay, working and learning at his restaurant's a few days a week to gain both business experience and a good sense of running a restaurant.

The end result of this is perfect service for the customer to match the sensational food!

It is no wonder they appeared on the T.V. and no wonder this restaurant is packed every day.
If you live nearby you are blessed with such a gem of a restaurant on your doorstep. If you live further away I thoroughly recommend the trip to experience this superb cuisine and taste some of it's delights and the expertise of these skilled chefs!
And if you can't make a personal visit the next best thing is to buy this book as it is full of just about all of Kaushy's family secrets handed down from her grandmother that should be tried and tasted to be believed. What you see in the book you get at the restaurant and for me that is a breath of fresh air! No secrets, just the recipes as they are meant to be made.

All the dishes are fairly easy to follow and ingredients not too hard to source either on the high street or online, but I think there is a therapy to be had in the preparation of some of the more complicated recipes and the end results are stunning and well worth the effort.
The Prashad has now moved on to pastures new and has expanded their business to larger premises in Drighlington near Leeds and I wish them every success in the future.

My advice is to buy the book and try it. I don't think you will be disappointed.
The photography is lovely and the hints and tips are wonderful.

This is an unique book so far removed from the mainstream cookery books. It is about family cooking written with love and an enthusiasm for beautiful and enjoyed recipes and is a great book to grace any kitchen book shelf!
I can't recommend it more highly than this! Buy it, try it and enjoy!!
22 Comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2013
I was thrilled to get hold of this book and less than thrilled with some of the results in the kitchen. Pea and cauliflower curry great, and likewise speedy spicy sweetcorn. But if you cook regularly and think a quantity is wrong it probably is - roti dough was far too wet and sesame jaggary 'squares' were a heap of brick dust; the text shows toffee-like looking squares and comments that 'Angela Hartnell liked the texture and richness'. Like another reviewer I think these recipes have not always been tested with the quantities printed in the book.