on 28 July 2013
Although I enjoy the occasional non-fiction book, it's very rare that I read memoirs - I can't even really say why, but perhaps I'm just not that interested in the lives of 'famous' people and I'd just rather throw myself into a made-up world. Miranda Hart is one of my favourite English comedians, and I've been a huge fan since the first episode of her sitcom, Miranda, and her awkwardness had me snickering and also feeling a sense of camaraderie with her semi-fictional character so I put aside my normal aversion and gave her memoir a try.

I was a little tentative about her book however, as it is essentially a conversation with her eighteen-year-old self in parts, and what I really wanted was just some of her funny observations about life and stories of her funniest life moments. However, although there are conversations with her younger self, the funny stories and awkward moments were far more prominent and had me smirking and even laughing and reading parts out loud to my boyfriend occasionally Structured into subjects such as be
auty, dating and weddings, this is one of the rare books that had me smiling almost all the way through.

But I found more than I thought I would as the book progressed - as well as telling the outrageously funny stories of her own social awkwardness, Miranda Hart also talks about how although her life hasn't turned out the way she imagined as a teenager, she is completely comfortable and happy with her life as it is and the things she thought would make her life complete are not the things that she really needed in life. This was something that I wasn't actually expected to come away with from this book, and it also gave me more respect for Miranda herself.

This is really a book for Miranda Hart fans - I think you'd need to be familiar with her to really understand her sense of humour, because hearing her voice in my head whilst I was reading was what made it really hilarious. Or just imagine someone in a bit of a posh, yet panickedly-shrill voice reading it aloud to you.
VINE VOICEon 26 June 2013
I really love Miranda Hart. She's made the art of being spontaneously fun cool again with her excellent BBC sitcom set in a joke shop and so I was very much looking forward to reading her book. Unlike most celebrity autobiographies, this isn't her life story from beginning to end. It's a bit more clever than that.

Her 'Miranual' (*sideways glance to camera* good word that. MIRANUAL.) on how to tackle the things that come without a life manual - flirting, engaging in intellectual dinner party conversation, reaffirming your love of Take That and Strictly Come Dancing - are all covered in this book in a funny, even quite touching way as she addresses the 18 year old, hockey sticks a-go-go boarding school version of herself.

Not only did I find myself laughing out loud just as much as I do at her sitcom, but I realised how much I actually identified with the situations she's found herself in. And dare I say it I even had a little cry on the last chapter (you'll know why when you get to it because it's really so beautifully written and so true).

Whilst sophisticated silliness is Miranda's ball court, when she does address you on a more 'serious' level as it were you find yourself being unexpectedly moved by what she says. We could all seek to live a little bit more and have a little bit more fun in the formal straitjacket that is adult life. Which is precisely what 'Is it Just Me?' gives you - and more.
Top Contributor: Doctor WhoTOP 50 REVIEWERon 19 November 2012
Well, this book is just such fun! What more does any Dear Reader Chum really need to say, when they have just finished laughing their way through Miranda Hart's witty, funny and oh-so-very-true observations on life and all that goes with it? The premise of the book is that Miranda is sharing with us and with her 18-year old self from 20 years previous, her thoughts on the strangeness of various aspects of life - from music and hobbies, through to culture and dreams, and just about everything in between. This is one of those books you really need to imagine the author's voice talking to you as you go; it really does sound just as though Miranda is just voicing her thoughts as she goes along. And funny they are. Being 6 feet tall myself, I really empathised with her views on the good and not so good aspects of being that height; I think sometimes people only keep me around to get things off the top shelves, and hang the tricky Christmas decorations. Oh dear. Awkward.

A wonderful book, one to pick up and enjoy again and again - highly recommended for anyone who appreciates Miranda's humour, and who appreciates humour which takes the mickey out of all of us.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 January 2014
I wanted to enjoy this book more than I did. I think I would have if I had read it last year, when I hadn't seen/read so much about her already that nothing in this book was particularly a revelation, and particularly after having heard her on Desert Island Discs this month, I found some of this material quite disappointing, in that it is obvious that she has moved on with her life quite a bit since this was written.

A lot of the material in here is clearly gleaned from what she has written into her show as well, and this sort of takes some of the enjoyment out of reading it for me. When a certain anecdote starts in the book I can already picture how she has done it on the television and the writing becomes a bit flat because of it.

Having said all that, she comes across as a decent, kind, lovely person in the book, much as she does on television. Her writing voice is so exactly her you can actually picture her reading it to you, and it is amusing enough, just not terribly revelatory or innovative.
on 19 January 2013
I adored this book, maybe it's because it's not just her? As some of the things in this book do ring true for me, (don't you know thank you very much frightfully embaressing) for me to. Love the style of this book. A nice type face, on cream coloured paper instead of bright WHITE so no headache (I find a lot of books go in for this sort of thing, if you're going to use white paper Mr/Mrs book designer then change the colour of the ink to a grey charcole if you will I thank you rant over) enabling oneself to breeze through this book so easily.

I love how her younger self comes into the fore and they chat to each other as we are the on the side lines watching and of course how she (Miranda) talks to you (the reader) directly and all too often guessing that I am in bed with my dog at the time of reading (very clever Miranda) Also had lots of excellent advice how to get through those all to awkward moments in life.

And if you have a super duper life then buy this any way to have a good laugh at some one who can't quite manage this with out catastropy and too many to mention embarresing moments, it's OK she has wretten a book for all to see.. My hubby (yes I am married Miranda, I know total amazballs) more than once said what are you laughing at then gave up asking as he knew the answer, Miranda's book, totally LAUGH OUT LOUD and a fabby 1/2 price I thank you.
on 25 February 2013
I think, for me at least, 3 stars is about right for 'Is It Just Me'. I bought the audiobook version as I thought I might benefit from hearing Miranda's unique vocal take on things and I did...to a degree. I did laugh...quite a lot as it happens...I particularly like and agree with several of her 'lists'. As a book in the 'humour' section it pretty much succeeds. Like several others, I tired quite quickly of the Little M dialogues (and was concerned that Peggy the dog was going to go the same way) and in these sections in particular, there seemed to be an awful lot of rambling and there were times where I found myself switching off. It didn't help that Little M sounds almost identical to the character Tilly in Miranda's TV show and Tilly is probably the only character I really can't stand!

As autobiography, I'm not convinced - I can't help feeling that 'Miranda' the TV persona is not really the same as Miranda Hart (although I'm quite sure there are points of crossover) and I don't feel I learned much about the woman herself. That's fair enough and probably wasn't the intent of the book. I AM quite sure that Miranda Hart is a lovely and fun person and I'm still a big fan but I might think twice about buying another of her books.
on 2 May 2014
I will say upfront that I love Miranda Hart. I know her particular brand of slapstick humour isn't to everyone's taste, but I find it both funny and refreshing in an old-fashioned way which still manages to make you smile. She is also a very good straight actor, as shown in Call the Midwife. However, I think her humour is visual and really doesn't work so well on the page. Her book takes the form of a conversation between herself as she is now - 39 year old - and her 18-year-old self - the hopes and aspirations of a teenager and the reality of life some 20 years on. I did smile at some of it but I wanted to know more about her real life. I think I should have read her autobiography first. A good read if you already know more of her life story.
on 23 May 2014
This book made me laugh, a lot. I bought it because I was interested in finding out about Miranda Hart's career and behind the scenes of 'Call the Midwife' etc, but there's very little about her career in here (just a couple of 'aside' mentions). So if you are looking for an autobiographical book this isn't it. However, I did feel I got to 'know' her a little, as much as you can through a book. And in a better and different way than a standard autobiography. The thing I enjoyed most, apart from the humour, was the overall positivity of the book. Both in terms of Miranda's outlook on life and from her reaffirming statements about embracing being yourself. It sounds trite but it was actually very nice. I always put the book down feeling cheered. Enjoy with a cup of tea and naughty biscuit.
on 12 January 2013
I love Miranda. I love her show and I love every interview I have seen her in so I knew I would love this. It's just like reading a version of the show, which might have been a little disappointing for people who want to know all the nitty-gritty and celeb gossip but I thought it was fabulous. At one point I laughed so hard there were tears rolling down my cheeks. I'm not one who normally laughs out loud at books but I couldn't help it, I thought I may die, I haven't laughed like that for years. There are subtle hints throughout the book if you really look for them, about Miranda's actual life and her struggles, but she portrays them so well you could be mistaken for thinking her life has been a lark. If you look underneath though you will find someone who feared they would never fit in and now realises that no one fits in, we all just have to make the best of it. This book was funny and made me think about not being so hard on myself. Job done I think, Miranda.
on 25 April 2018
I thought this book was absolutely hilarious. I don't think I have ever laughed out loud so much when reading a book. This was the first of Miranda's books that I had read and I thoroughly enjoyed it - as far as I am concerned, it most certainly is not just her! I would definitely read more of hers.