on 5 July 2017
I wasn't sure if I'd like this I don't know having read and absolutely loved the rainmaker I should have been licking my lips in anticipation but yet I wasn't anyway I decided to crack on and read telling myself remember you loved previous books by him this story was utterly breathtaking the characters are amazing davids dad sounded a liked as family member of mine Rochelle was brilliant wally and oscar great guys not without their own personal troubles put the storyline together and john grisham once again just Lull's you into this magnificent book no qualms easily merited and well deserved 5 star rating from me
2 people found this helpful
on 14 April 2018
The Litigators was different to the other Grisham novels that I have read but it was nevertheless as good. There were more humorous moments than in his other novels, probably because Wally and Oscar were far from the 'big time' lawyers. Their comments and situations made me laugh out loud, just as David did at the start of the book. Soon, the 'big case' comes and it becomes apparent that these three lawyers are in way over their heads. Grisham really led me up the garden path regarding David's time in court, despite the outcome of the trial.

I would recommend this novel to those who enjoy a light-hearted legal thriller with three very amusing protagonists.
on 3 May 2016
I had to give this four stars as in the beginning I thought it was going to be about a pair of Laurel and Hardy partners and an overwhelmed good guy trying to make good but it suddenly morphed into a five star book as the new kid on the block patiently pulled them back into taking things more seriously. Not seriously enough for him not to end up in the hot seat but by then he had shown his and his wife's good morality sufficiently to give lawyers a good reputation again! In the end I was really hoping that it would turn out as it did. With the best intentions people can be wrong and this was a good example of how ethically difficult it is to sort out legal matters when people are good and bad at the same time, especially when they are on the opposite side of the fence to your firm and you have no control. I should have had more faith in John Grisham who is such an excellent author but you never know when people will lose it! Sorry Mr Grisham. I will be able to follow some of these tort cases with a bit more knowledge now and not be so sure I know they are crooks to start with! If you like court case drama, you will like this. Sometimes proving you are good at something you didn't know you could be good at, is just what you need.
on 28 August 2016
I love John Grisham and read a lot of his books . This is the first one Iv read for ages because I feel he lost his touch a while back and I moved on to other authors ..
I'd rate this book as ok , it took me quite some time to actually finish it which usually means it's not great otherwise I would finish it in a couple of days .
Iv read better Grisham books but Iv also forced myself through others !
The storyline is quite good and the characters are ok but I just couldn't really invest in them .
It's worth the couple of pounds kindle price and is an easy read , hence why I could read some then not pick it up again for weeks ..
on 16 June 2016
Ambulance chasers Finley and Figg - partners in a back street legal firm - barely make a living from their work, but plod along doing preparing wills, doing the legal work in divorce cases and representing the odd car crash victim. Then legal hotshot David Zinc drops into their firm, joins their team and everything changes. They pursue a pharmaceutical firm believed to be killing overweight people with a cholesterol-lowering drug.
As you would expect with a John Grisham book, things don't go according to plan, but I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read the book yet.
This is not Grisham's finest work - the story is very linear and everything ties up neatly at the end - but I liked the larger-than-life characters and got carried away with the story. It's an absorbing, non-challenging read, perfect for taking on holdiday.
Anyone who has not read a John Grisham before would probably enjoy his courtroom drama A Time To Kill and then the sequel Sycamore Row more.
on 29 March 2015
Sometimes I read purely for entertainment, with no intention to be instructed. And for that purpose, few writers are as good as John Grisham.

Or at least, so I thought until I read 'The Appeal' a few years ago. It struck me as altogether too ranty. What it was saying may well have been entirely true – life may really be like that – but if I want to read about injustice and corruption in the legal system, well I’ve got newspapers, and if I want to understand the mechanics of wealth behind it, I have Tomas Piketty.

It’s precisely when I need a break from the Pikettys that I turn to Grisham. So 'The Appeal put me off for quite some time. Until, in fact, two weeks ago when I happened to be at a friend’s house and glanced at the copy of 'The Litigators' I found on her shelf.

I was immediately intrigued, the plot premiss sounded so good: David Zinc, a lawyer on his way to a successful career in a huge and soulless firm in Chicago, decides he can stand it no longer and walks out. A day spent in a bar leads to his wandering, well lubricated, into a seedy law firm in a disreputable part of town, that same evening. The firm he chooses likes to think of itself as “boutique”, but it is in fact just small: two lawyers and a receptionist working out of run-down premises and living by ambulance chasing.

Well, perhaps not so much living as subsisting.

Immediately, Zinc finds himself sucked into the biggest case his new firm has ever seen, the one that after many disappointments, really could make the partners rich. But this kind of mass class action is way out of their league, and Zinc has to undergo a rapid and intensive education in how to fight, and more frequently, how not to fight this kind of case.

Fortunately, it’s not his only case. By chance, he’s led to pick up another, involving a toy that led to the lead-poisoning of the son of Burmese immigrants. They badly need, and have been unable to obtain, legal representation. He’s more than happy to start putting together a law suit on their behalf (while also cultivating, with his wife, a more personal relationship with them).

The two suits end in profoundly different ways, and their conclusion provides the basis for a new view of the future for Zinc, his partners in the “boutique” firm, the receptionist and even the firm’s dog.

It’s a highly enjoyable read – the kind of thing that takes a couple of days or so – and the ending left me feeling I’d rediscovered the Grisham I used to like. Not quite pure entertainment, because he also provides an insight into the world of the law, which I enjoy almost as much as his compelling plots. But the insight enhances the entertainment value.

So – no hesitation on my part in recommending 'The Litigators'. Especially if you’re tired, lying in a bath, or on a long flight. It’s well worth five stars – not because it’s great literature but because it does exactly what a Grisham ought to do.

Enjoy.
on 8 December 2017
Definitely one of his formula stories: enjoyable enough read and happy enough to have read it, but I did a test with my other half who is about halfway through to ask her to say where she thought the story would go and she got it 100%, including, the main trial, her assessment of the main players, the sub-plot that was put to one side but obvious as to it being relevant to a typical Grisham hero and what would happen to our hero and his associates in the end.

Hopefully, John will not start putting Game of Thrones style plot twists in though - I like my underdog lawyers to get to the end of the book!
on 26 April 2016
Possibly a lawyer's wish fulfilment fantasy. David Zinc decides one day that he can't be doing with working 15 hour days on international bond swap legal agreements in a windowless cubicle with 500 other zombies, not even for $300,000 a year. He walks out, gets drunk, and ends up working for a tiny firm of ambulance chasers where he actually meets clients. Despite taking a paycut of approximately 99%, he loves it.

I've read it before, some years BK (before Kindle) - John Grisham has written so many legal books that I find it hard to keep track. But perhaps this is a good test; although it is familiar, I can't remember the detail. I certainly don't intend to stop reading.

And although things go badly wrong for the ambulance chasers, the deus ex machina saves David and he in turn rescues his colleagues. Perhaps a trifle hard to believe.
on 28 April 2016
I really enjoyed this book. David Zinc and his wife Helen are thoroughly decent people, which is really nice to come across these days. The book is at times very funny but also at times very sad. It covers a gamut of subjects from disgusting drug companies exploiting the citizens of third world countries to immoral companies "employing" illegal immigrants to work for 80 hours per week for 200 dollars to large toy companies importing lethal toys from China that are poisoning children. It really is worth reading, it may even restore your faith in the milk of human kindness. It would be really nice to think that there were a lot of people like David and Helen around.
on 9 May 2016
NO SPOILER REVIEW.

I haven't read a Grisham novel for years, I felt that they were becoming a little formulaic. I thought I would give this one a shot though as I fancied a quick easy read. l didn't really read it that quickly though, mainly because it just didn't leave me wanting more. The story is OK, the characters OK. There was just not enough action or excitement. I remember reading The Pelican Brief 10 years or more ago and really enjoying it. This is just no comparison to that sort of book.By the end i was skimming paragraphs just to find out what was going to happen.

This book is a bit like easy listening music.