on 13 April 2014
Love it, love it, love it! Almost finished reading it, but wish it would go on and on. If you have an interest in wolves, nature and deep spirituality, as well as wanting a great read, go for this book. It won't disappoint.
Lyn
on 5 June 2017
love her books
on 9 September 2013
Love Jodi Picoult books. This one was a real "page turner". DidnT want to put it down but sorry when I got to the end.
on 9 January 2013
I read this book whilst on holiday and found it very easy to read and completed it in a couple of days. I have read the majority of Jodi Picoult's books and do feel that the formula is beginning to get a little overused but it still doesn't stop me buying them as soon as they come out!
on 17 August 2013
I am in awe of this author and I've read so many books by Jodi Picoult but this is my favourite of all time and I don't think anything will knock it off the pedestal I have put it on.

I love wolves and they are so misunderstood with such a bad and unfair reputation, they are magnificent I would give everything I own to have an opportunity to be surrounded by them.

This isn't my favourite just because it's about wolves. The time and effort Jodi put into this book to research the wolf is just incredible. I do know a lot about them and I have read so many books about wolves that I could understand (and agree) with what she was writing about and enjoy the story to the fullest,
I loved the characters and found myself getting frustrated, angry and upset. Even though I wanted a different ending it ended as it should have PERFECTLY IN TUNE WITH WHAT A WOLF WOULD HAVE CHOSEN TO DO.

KARRIE.
VINE VOICEon 26 January 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Its rare that I read a Jodi Picoult book that I don't enjoy but when I heard of the storyline, I did wonder whether I would enjoy reading so much about wolves. However the amount of research that was necessitated made for interesting reading and having these chapters narrated by Luke and hearing his voice throughout the book added an extra dimension. The book follows the usual JP formula but its one that seems to work.

Luke's estranged son, Edward, flies home from Thailand upon hearing from his mother Georgie about the accident involving his father and sister, Cara. Luke lies in a coma and Cara requires surgery for her injuries. Cara blames Edward for breaking up the family by running away 6 years previously and thus causing the subsequent divorce between Luke and Georgie. Georgie has now remarried and has a new family whereas Luke's family is Cara and the wolves that he looks after. As the story progresses you learn more about Luke and eventually the reason why Edward left so quickly. The antagonism that Cara feels towards Edward leads to a courtroom battle as who will have the right to become Luke's medical representative - Edward believes that his father wouldn't want to live whilst Cara is determined to keep her father alive at any cost. Cara came across as being quite immature in her reasoning and towards the end, we learn the truth of a secret she is hiding that is hinted at throughout the book.

I enjoyed reading this, it was interesting and I became engrossed in the story. It seems to have received a varied response by way of review but to my mind JP just writes a story so well and they are a pleasure to read.
on 5 March 2012
As a big Jodi Picoult fan I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. I have read all of her other novels and enjoyed them (barring `Songs of The Humpback Whale' which I found to be a bit bland), so it was safe to say that I was anticipating an excellent read here.

Picoult definitely doesn't disappoint in this excellent story of a fractured family, hidden secrets and a horrific moral dilemma faced by an estranged brother and sister. I loved every word- the characterisation was excellent, settings believable and it really does make you think what you would do if you ever found yourself in a similar situation.

The book revolves around Cara and her father Luke, both injured in a car accident that unfortunately leaves Luke on a ventilator with a practically nil chance of waking- and even if he does, chances are he will be brain damaged. As Luke was a famous naturalist who has integrated himself into wild wolf packs, his estranged son questions whether his father would ever want to live such a different way of life. Cara meanwhile is determined to prove that any life at all, is at least worth living...

As the book unfolds, family secrets are brought to the fore which only adds further drama to the proceedings. Chapters are told from alternate characters perspectives which really adds a sense of tension to the story, as well as a degree of empathy and understanding as to what the family are going through.

I can concede other reviewer's reservations with this book however: first time readers may find her depth of detail and research slightly off-putting and indeed overwhelming at times, though I personally found it relevant to the plot; Picoult tells a narrative from Luke's perspective, in which the symbolism of the wolf-pack mirrors events occurring in his own family at the time. I found this to be an excellent device within the story with just enough level of detail around wolf packs to keep me interested, as well as educating me.

I have to admit that this book moves at a slightly slower pace than some of her earlier novels too, which other long time readers have highlighted. It is also more `clean cut' with its moral issue, in that suggestions right from the start of the story indicate the right decision to be made in the long term, though the journey in getting there is still a worthwhile narrative and (in my opinion) very worth a read.

I have deducted half a star merely because the supposed 'revelations' within the book were a little bit predictable. I suppose I expected a bit more twists and turns- this is a Jodi book after all! That is my only criticism of the novel however.

If you have not read a Picoult novel before then I would perhaps urge you to be a bit cautious in trying this one first- it is very different from some of her others. I would suggest starting with `Nineteen Minutes' or `Change of Heart' first and then move on to this one afterwards if you enjoy her style of writing. If you are a Picoult fan though, then you will enjoy it.
on 22 May 2017
A fascinatingly beautiful book, strong in metaphor and well-researched - I adore Jodi Picoult's work.

Luke, a father of two has always felt more at home under the stars with his beloved wolf packs. He has spent his life researching these misunderstood animals and feels an affinity with them that he just doesn't get with humans.

When Luke finds himself in a coma in a vegetative state - his children Cara & Richard have to make a decision. Is this the life he would have wanted for himself? No longer able to be near his precious wolves? But how can they choose to let him die?

A wonderful read. Heavy with the Wolf metaphor - read between the lines there and it's actually very clever.
on 1 March 2012
What immediately comes to your mind when you start reading a book and it has an absolutely killer first line? Do you instantly that this book is going to be good? Or do you ultimately set yourself up for disappointment?

I've loved Jodi Picoult's books for a good couple of years now, and although a couple of them have been a bit hit-and-miss, most of them have been brilliant. So I was looking forward to this book, and was seriously thinking about pre-ordering it, when my work went one better: I got an ARC of it, just sitting in the staff room ready for the taking. Of course, I had to finish the book I was reading at the time, but then the decision was made: I had to read this book before the other one or two (hundred) on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

From the killer opening line to the even better closing line and a few (almost) tears inbetween, I loved it. Once again, Ms Picoult has given us a hard hitting, emotional, driven book, which will certainly leave the reader thinking all the way through and even after finishing. I won't bore you with the blurb, as you have eyes, you can read that for yourself. But the main bulk of the story fits around wolves and the title Lone Wolf is also a book in the book. So a book, within a book, if you will. (Although not a book, within a book, within a book, within a book, within a book - you get the idea.) I discovered a lot of things I didn't know about wolves, which was very interesting.

Jodi has found her niche/formula and damn, does she stick to it. Although this hasn't worked in some books (The Tenth Circle to name one), it pretty much works with the majority of them. Each chapter is told from the point of view of a different character, with a few random people thrown in just to mess with your head. There are a few similarities between this and My Sister's Keeper, with one event happening almost exactly the way it happened in the latter.

As this has not been proof read either, there were a couple of incidences that bugged me - a character's 18th birthday keeps changing between coming up in 3 months, to coming up in 4 months. There is also the obligatory court case, which I've now come to expect! I can count on one hand how many books I've read of hers that don't feature a court case, but this one has a few shocks in store for readers and the characters.

One of the character's viewpoints/chapters (Luke) I liked, but at the same time, I didn't like and felt like something was missing. Maybe because this viewpoint is talking about past events, rather than present events, so it does come across as a disjointed viewpoint. But it is one of the more intriguing viewpoints, considering what is happening to Luke in the book and what the past events he is discussing. If you're like me, you'll be attempting to read between the lines to glean clues.

There's (as usual) a couple of plot points that will definitely have readers looking at themselves, their family and their friends in a different light. What would you hope your last words to someone would be? Mull that over the next over the next time you go to bed on an argument, the next time you walk away from someone, when you hang up the phone, or when you run away from your problems instead of facing them head on. Life is too short, as this book shows.

I'm now looking forward to the new book coming out in the UK in June and is co-written with her daughter Samantha. Two Jodi Picoult books in a year, we are honoured.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Some Picoult fans have said that her last two or three books weren't as good as her earlier ones, I've enjoyed them all but can assure you that Lone Wolf is excellent and just as good as her early books and written in a similar style.

This on is set within a divorced family with a re-married mother, Georgie, and brother and sister, Edward and Cara. Cara lives with her father, Luke, after Edward left the family to live in Thailand which Cara believes is the reason for her parents divorce. The book starts with a devastating car crash in which Cara pulls her father from the car, they are both taken to hospital, Cara with shoulder injuries while Luke is on life support and in a vegatative state. The big issue if this story is whether Edward, estranged from his father for six years, or Cara, a minor, should have the final say of whether or not to switch off the life support machine. There are many other issues and side issues within the story as a whole, just as you would expect from Picoult and all the way through we have chapters from Luke giving a wonderfully descriptive and informative life he has had with wolves, including integrating himself into a wild Canadian wolf pack for two years.

The end, as we have grown used to with Jodi's novels, packs a punch which we are not expecting and makes the reader re-think what you may already have made your mind up about. Excellent, much recommended.