on 1 October 2012
Being a huge fan of David Coleman's work, I went straight out to buy this book and must say it made for a very interesting and easy read. The book itself covers all stages right up to adolescence and even deals with how parents cope when the young (or sometimes not so young!) finally fly the nest. What I loved about the book was that David manages to draw on real life case examples which I felt were a great addition to the book and particularly interesting to read. A couple of slight negatives for me were that I felt the book may have been trying to cover too much at once and I found the flow of the book was not great. It seemed to jump around a little. Having said that, anyone with a family with children at different stages will find it particularly useful and there isn't a paragraph in the book that isn't very informative.
For newer parents with young children, I would prefer David's other book, "Parenting is Childs Play" which is a truly excellent read and is more detailed on the problems parents are likely to encounter during the early years. As a parent with 3 children who are 5yrs and younger, I'd love to see another similarly detailed book from David perhaps dealing with the pre-adolescence years (or maybe a book isn't really needed, those in between years are relatively easy - wishful thinking perhaps??!!)
All in all, a good read and I would definitely recommend purchasing.
on 9 June 2013
This is an amazing, all round book for tips and advice to any parents. It covers all areas from tots to teens, dealing with family conflict and letting you know that we are all dealing with the same or similar issues, cannot rate it highly enough!!
on 28 August 2014
Very clear and concise theme throughout the book. David Coleman explains the principles to good relationships with your children. I would reccomend this as a must read for any parent