Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 June 2014
This is one very good book. The main character who is not a good guy for killing so many people, especially being a priest but I've got to say by the end of the book i was blown away by the honesty this man possessed. Even though i knew it wouldn't be a happy ending i kind of expected it. But loved it throughout. I gave it five stars because of his amazing writing style.
on 6 February 2014
I am a Dekker fan and have been for quite a few years now, so I knew that I would most likely enjoy the book. I was not wrong. I gave it four stars because it has a good plot, is well written and in true Dekker fashion has you intrigued from start to finish. It did not get the full 5 stars because I felt that something was missing - something to make it stand out from other books of its kind. That being said I still gave it 4, it is good and I would recommend it.
on 14 April 2015
This book is UNFORGETTABLE and leaves you with a mind spinning new vision of what you thought you believed about justice, retribution, crime, violence and God. I have loved Ted's books ever since I picked up my first one HOUSE with Frank Peretti. Never disappointing.
on 9 December 2011
A very deep and exciting novel, whose dimensions I can't possibly begin to unravel until I read it again. So many themes explored by Ted Dekker. Thoroughly impressed. A proper review is inevitable in due course, in the meantime, read it! You won't be disappointed!
Prior to starting Ted Dekker's The Priest's Graveyard it's basic premise had me intrigued, which pertains to two abandoned souls -- one a vigilante priest, the other a young woman trying to recover from a drug addiction and from being a victim of sexual abuse -- who are on the hunt for one powerful man. Soon, their paths cross and lead to a twisted fate bound by a perilous love.

It seemed that after reading the first fifty or so pages Dekker's execution of this plot premise was going to be a good one. However, upon further reading, Dekker's poor writing skills dominate any plot qualities. That is, his character development skills, coupled with his almost child-like prose are about as poor as I can remember reading in many years. Further, his attempt to wrap his story around some religious beliefs (such as good and evil, god and the devil, angels and demons, love and grace, mortal sin, etc.) failed miserably in my opinion; and resulted in this reader feeling that his eyes were rolling around in his head.

I know this may seem hard to believe when you look at the Amazon Reader review ratings in the U.S. in which 51 of the 69 ratings (at the time of this writing) are 5 stars. Please don't be misled by this because if you look at the reviewers who gave this rating you'll see that many are by those who are writing their first review, which is a ploy many small publishers use to create reader interest and, of course, sales for their author's book. Some others are from Dekker's loyal army of reader reviewers, whose only reviews, or vast majority of reviews, have been for books by Ted Dekker.

Unfortunately, the only real mystery for me was why I didn't just give up on it and move on to another book. I know that a negative review such as this is bound to result in a bunch of "no/not helpful" votes, especially from the large, loyal base of followers of Dekker's books of Christian fiction. But, if this review helps prevent even a few readers from wasting their time and money (as I did), then my review has served its purpose.
55 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 May 2014
I am used to Ted's amazing writ in and this just didn't d it for me at all. for the first time in my life it took me more than 24 hours to finsh one of his books....