on 25 April 2013
As usual, Jodi Picoult manages a contentious subject thoroughly while also telling an engrossing story, earning a 5 star from me. I suppose I should declare an interest - my own daughter was raised by 2 moms. She's a graduate, married for many years and has a child. Picoult's voicing of her characters was very resonant of my personal experience (including a degree of evangelical Christian bigotry to deal with). It's difficult for me to place this book within the body of her work because it rang a lot of personal bells.
Anybody wanting some insight into the emotional turmoil that being gay stirs up for the individual, their family, their ex heterosexual partner could do a lot worse than read this book.
5 people found this helpful
on 21 April 2018
I would really recommend not only this Jodi Picoult book, but any book by this author. The first book I read by this author was the Storyteller and it was excellent. I quickly followed her other books and have nearly read all of them now. Haven't been disappointed yet. She deals with real life present day issues. Love her writing style.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 4 August 2012
This is the first time I have ever read a Jodi Picoult novel. A friend recommended it, so I thought I would give it a try.

It was an easy read. I powered through it in an evening, and was not at all bored, or tempted to put it down. On the other hand I found it totally overwrought, emotionally draining and not something I would cheerfully read again. I get why other people read them, and why she is such a popular author. She is very, very good at what she does. It is just that I don't want to read about this kind of thing for pleasure. It is exhausting, and pretty miserable, and shows lots of people in the worst possible light.

The subject matter was varied, and about the only thing that held it all together was the fact that all of it was totally harrowing. The torments of IVF and failed marriages, and same sex relationships and alcoholism, and extreme religious fundamentalism were just a few of the things that the author deals with in this book. I thought it was far too much, and a simpler, pared down story would have been just as effective, and way more powerful. As it was I did start to find the whole thing faintly ridiculous at one point and wonder what on earth Picoult was going to drag into the mix next.

Not for me, but great if you like that sort of harrowing, chick lit.
on 23 January 2014
I was unable to put this book down. The author's writing is fabulous and I felt empathy for all the characters. I was disappointed as at the foreword it advises you can download songs to go along with the book however I tried to find this via the link and separately on my computer but could not find the music. I still would love to hear it if anyone knows how to access them. The author has set the characters up to make you feel you know them, perhaps my religious upbringing helped me understand. The story deals with such issues that can vent anger from many on either side of the arguments raised. If only the extremists could read this and let their hearts truly do the talking and be more open-minded. I loved this story and would recommend it to my friends and family and also to anyone who struggles with gay rights. I am now going to search for more Jodi Picoult books!!
on 26 May 2013
Have read several Jodie Picoult books and chose this one for my Kindle as a lot of the free books I'd chosen had been disappointing. The story is told viewed through the eyes of each character, it's about an ex alcoholic husband, an infertile wife and their struggle to have a baby. It has a wonderful twist at the end.
Jodi Picoult nearly always includes a big court room battle in her stories and this is no exception.
I found it compelling reading and finished it in a couple of days!
Highly recommended, great holiday reading
2 people found this helpful
on 20 January 2014
Another well written book, interesting plot with many different points of views. To take the subject matter of same sex couples and their ability to rear children successfully, is thought provoking. What ever your personal opinions are on this matter, this book will make you really look at how, as human beings we react to individuals differences. How we can delude ourselves through fear and prejudices, be they religious or personal.
Great read.
on 28 April 2012
I am a big fan of Jodi Picoult and haven't read one of her books in a while (so many other great books out there), so I thought I'd give this one a go. I need a connection to the characters to enjoy a book, and I did feel a real empathy for Zoe the main character. The story touched on a couple of big subjects, which is quite typical of Jodi, and I enjoyed that side of it. Parts of it made me feel quite angry with certain so called "good people" in the world, which is a real compliment as it got to me! Not one of my favourite Jodi books (I think that still has to be My Sisters Keeper), but I did feel the need to keep reading as I was intrigued, and the ending was not a disappointment.
on 1 July 2013
I am a huge fan of Jodi Picoult and loved the subject matter of this novel. The plot is compelling and at times heart-wrenching, and expertly written in Jodi's classic style. I was intrigued by the idea of an accompanying soundtrack (the novel points out which track relates to which part of the story) but I have to say that while the musical artist has a great voice, I was disappointed that the songs were a bit "American" (read: "cheesy"). No offense intended to our American friends, but the songs were a little too cringey for my liking. Still a great read, just skip the soundtrack - I feel it detracts from the plot.
One person found this helpful
on 30 October 2013
Had no idea what to expect having never read any of her stuff before but it blew me away. Accurate, intimate and a darn good storyline. Will open people's eyes to fertility and its real issues and love / loving... Love is love regardless of gender or who you fall for. Brill book would heartily recommend. Could go on for ages but would ruin it for you - go buy the book!
on 28 April 2018
Buy it. Read it. Enjoy it. Be deeply moved by it.