on 15 March 2013
Well, this was...strange. I have enjoyed the Dark Tower series so far, but felt things went in quite an odd direction with this installment. Which is not so say it was bad. There was some fantastic writing here, with character development and detailed world-building and suspenseful plotting and all the good things we expect from a Stephen King novel.

But for me, the device of the author appearing in his own story was just a step too far, I found it self-indulgent and a bit cringe-worthy. I appreciate the cleverness of what King was trying to do in weaving together the real and the fantasy worlds, but it was taken too far in this book and was offputting and distracting for me. I would have liked more of the 'world' of Gilead instead. For me the most engaging part of this series has been the well-told, suspenseful and emotion-filled adventure stories set in Roland's world.

I'm still looking forward to starting the final book. This has in many ways been a wonderful series, very unusual, ambitious and rich, and I have enjoyed the journey right from the first appearance of the lone gunslinger on the edge of the desert. However it has been flawed and frustrating in places, and many of those places were found in this book!
One person found this helpful
on 29 November 2017
If you're reading this book, it's likley you've read the 6 books before hand. This book moves the story on quite a lot. I preferred it to the sometimes self indulgent Wolves of the Calla. At the risk of spoilers, I will just say this is the waterfall after two books of sedentary pace story river. I found the structure of a pice of music unnecessary, swaping chapters for Stanzas, etc. But that's a minor point. Reignites the story of Roland and his Kate for me.
on 13 June 2018
Short and relatively sweet this one. We find a little more about the substance of midworld and the context of the tower but overall we only take a few small steps in a surprisingly brief affair. Still a great read and the next volume is on the shelf ready to go although I’ll wait just a little while yet.
on 17 August 2015
Book 6 in the Dark Tower installments, and it does not disappoint. Once again we enter Roland's world and his quest, this time focusing heavily on Susannah and the imminent birth of her/Mia's child. As the ka-tet is separated into 3 groups, this book is the most fragmentary of the Dark Tower books so far, switching between the groups and their different tasks at hand, but Kings excellent way of conveying even the most complex story ensures the reader does not get lost along the way. Another 5 stars and on to the final book. The tower is upon us!
on 23 April 2018
I'm not an avid reader, i can read fast, but that doesn't make me read more...

To be honest, I love films, there's something personal about having someone else's imagination brought to life, that you can just watch with no effort,, and have the story told in a way i could never imagine myself (how lazy of me, right?!).
I may not be an avid reader, but 'Sai' King's writing transports me, (kind of like todash, but without the chimes).

This book series, I've just finished book 6/7, is like I imagine cocaine to be. Once I start reading, I constantly think of it, night a day, unable to wait until I can return to reading.

If that isn't the sign of a great book series, what is?
on 12 June 2008
King's sixth book in the "Dark Tower" series picks up immediately where "Wolves of the Calla" left off, reinserting the reader into the world of the gunslinger and his travelling companions. They resume their quest for the Dark Tower with a great opening scene, and soon cutting to the absconded Susannah and her new passenger ...

Things progress smoothly and very competently in this penultimate volume, a shorter story than many of its predeccessors and more focused for it. The writing is condensed but not neglectful of the characters or the scenarios, and has all the fluidity and poetry of the previous volumes, although sadly not to the extent of the wonderful "The Gunslinger".

The novel benefits from the sense of movement and progress, that was sadly lacking in the last two novels, "Wizard and Glass" which was almost entirely flashback, and "Wolves of the Calla" which took place entirely in one town. Now things are rolling and the excitement and urgency return to the story.

I'm not a fan of the metafictional aspects of the series, which begun in earnest last novel with the mention of "Stephen King, the authord from Maine", a plotline which is expounded upon and reaches a kind of conclusion here as well. Mixing real-life with fiction is often a bad idea, and although Stephen King appears here as a character, the novel itself doesn't appear to suffer greatly despite the cringing feeling you might get at the hubris of the author.

Still, there are some truly heart-stopping moments, such as the escalation of Susannah's troubles in the final chapter, and the moment of Jake and Pere Callahan's emergence into the New York of 1999. Despite another cliff-hanger ending, which generally drive me nuts with anger and disappointment, it's still a strong book and worthy of the collection. If you felt a little deflated after books four and five, you'll be happy to see a return to form with book six.
on 17 February 2015
I am committed to reading the whole of The Dark Tower even though I have breaks from it and read other books in between. It is Stephen King's life's work and very, very long. I can read the most ridiculous scenarios because he makes them believable and I love his imagination and The Dark Tower is full of imaginative characters and events. The Song of Susannah is mostly about waiting endlessly for the birth of the baby, and it could have been condensed, sometimes SK rambles just a little too much. I am not sure about inserting himself into the story, he just about pulls it off. I enjoyed it but not as much as the previous books in the series.
on 17 December 2014
Amazing read, once again, Stephen king, the "wordslinger" slings his words all over the shop. I found the story to be gripping and in a very real sense, "moorish." ive read the whole series more than once, and I find the stories very easy to imagine, due to kings famous way of explaining words to make the picture. I would recommend this book ( the whole series, actually) to anyone looking for a good read. Truly genius the way Steve incorporates parts and characters of many books and stories into this series. I've read the dark half, the stand, needless things, rose madder, it, insomnia, Carrie, cujo, pet semetary, and many many others. But they don't even come close to the dark tower series. Stephen king.... Awesome legend!
on 7 September 2012
I am only just working through Stephen King's Dark Tower series and had been given the previous two books last Christmas (Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla) which I thoroughly enjoyed and thought I couldn't wait until this Christmas to see how the story progressed. I decided that I would try the "used" book option. The Song of Susannah paperback that I received was in excellent condition - it didn't look as if it had been read. It's condition was very accurately described by the seller. So much so that I have now ordered the last book in the series The Dark Tower (also secondhand) so that I can complete the story. For me this book was pure Stephen King at his very best. The story hasn't lost of any of its momentum and I want to finish the series. I shall also be interested in reading the dark tower novel that has just been released.
on 19 August 2017
I've loved these books... but I'm sorry to say I found this one rather corny in places... and I found Suzannah irritatingly tedious. I was almost glad to finish it and move on. Of all the characters, she is the most tedious.