on 1 May 2011
I do enjoy Stephen Fry's wit on TV but this Twitter style book or diary just oozed pure mundane drivel, which i forced myself to finish.
on 19 February 2011
I have never been quite sure if Stephen Fry is the absolute genius that he appears or if he annoys me intensely because of his unrelenting knowledge and wit at all times. I just love to listen to him talking and watch him in various television programmes, where he always just behaves as he is, but never before have I ever been able to imagine him as a parent, certainly not one of such numerous, delightfully named and entertaining genre. To be married to such a person as this Dear lady is, must have been a trial, one that is told in such an absolutely brilliant and compelling way, that the reader can in no way put the book down until the month is ended, and then have a sneak into the next..... A must read for every one... I loved it.
on 16 December 2013
It's certainly not the kind of writing I'd have expected from the erudite Mr Fry. He doesn't miss one opportunity for a laugh in his slightly chavvy view of what the poor Mrs Fry would be like. I wuldn't read this on your Kindle on a train unless you want to annoy all the passengers when yu laugh. I suspect this could raise a hoot from a corpse. Stephen Fry should do lots more diaries - asap
on 28 December 2012
I bought this on a whim, having not read any books by Stephen Fry before. Overall I found it quite funny - it was fun to read about Stephen's 'fake wife' and how she sees Stephen's alternate identity. Many of the diary entries are like self-contained jokes that set themselves up as a clever pun or play on words, but the main story thread running through the diary is fun to follow. It wasn't laugh-out-loud hilarious but made me snort approvingly in places.
on 5 December 2010
At its special pre-Christmas price of under a fiver, it's an excellent stocking filler to keep various relatives or Secret Santa recipients occupied this Christmas. Little gems of wisdom, interspaced with the ups and down of life with Mr Stephen Fry and the numerous small fry, plus some excellent recipe ideas for Spam. It's funny, irreverent and a little weird, just like that old uncle that who you only see at Christmas. At this price, you'll probably pay more for the wrapping paper and card. Make sure you buy one for yourself at the same time, because you if you only get one, you won't want to give it away.
VINE VOICEon 11 October 2010
I'm certainly not a Twitter user. More to the point, I'm sure Edna herself would undoubtedly agree that I'm of proud of that! However, I loved this book and enjoyed the details of Edna's life - sometimes tragic, sometimes comic and always handled with the finesse of a true lady (in the old-fashioned sense). Edna Fry is a find! Stephen should be on his knees with gratitude to have such a wonderful, undemanding (yet passionate) companion and life-long support. The writings of Mrs Fry - along with the occasional goings-on of her companions, Mrs Norton, Mrs Biggins and Mrs Winton - are not to be missed.
As I follow Mrs Edna Fry on Twitter, and am always chuckling away at some of the tweets that she comes up with, I knew that I had to get this book to give me a laugh, and a break from some hard going novels I'd been tackling at the time.

Everything is tongue-in-cheek humour and you can certainly see the funny bits coming but as long as you don't expect it to be anything but a silly book, then you can't go far wrong with this one.

We read about Stephen Fry's secret life with his wife and 6+ children...they've lost count now, and I couldn't help myself when I looked at the dates of what was being written in Edna's diary and trying to figure out what Stephen would have actually been doing. I'm a bit sad like that.

If you follow Edna and Stephen on Twitter, then you should give this book a go.
on 14 November 2010
An amazing recording of a marvelous house wife who really is a megastar in the making. Her quick wit and amazing way she can tell her tale of everyday life struggling with the highs and lows of a suburban mother with six or seven kids juggling her housekeeping money to serve tempting spam dishes to keep the spice of life going in her marriage even with Stephen her husband friendliness to a neighbors and visits to local pub. A must read for all wives and mothers to help them through the challenges from day to day.
on 29 December 2010
I bought this for my mum as a Christmas present, partly because she recently got into Twitter and enjoys reading the tweets of MrsStephenFry but mostly due to the obvious hints she was giving me. I must say it was a present well bought, she doesn't normally sit and read a book from cover to cover but with this one she did and in only a few day. Of course while she wasn't reading I had a look at it which left both her and myself laughing loudly.

This book it witty, creative and above all brilliantly written while giving us an insight of the life of none other than Stephen Fry and not forgetting Edna's various uses for Spam.

Once my mum finished reading it she was only left wondering two things, if Edna will ever learn what Stephen really does and if there will a second diary next year. If there is I'm sure my mum would want that as well!
on 13 November 2015
As a fan of Stephen Fry - writing, TV a nd film this is yet another success. Loved the book especially the very amusing little sign-offs. Superb!