Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 May 2017
I read this book, years ago, whilst in my teens, and I remember enjoying it, but not to the extent where I ever thought I would pick it up again. However, the years have passed, and coming across the book on offer at a local book store, whilst looking for my next read, I thought I'd give it another go. I remembered the premise (most will know of it already from the movie) and a few random details (Jack crunching Aspirin in a phone booth has always stayed with me for some reason!), but, as is the case with time, most of the book was forgotten.
On second reading, I flew through it, and wanted to start it again upon completion. It is now one of my favourite books, and easily my favourite King books (I've not read them all though, maybe 10 or 12 tops).
The main difference from the movie, for those who have seen it, was, not an event in the book, but the way in which the characters were portrayed. For me, Jack was not the villain; without wanting to go into "spoiler" territory, Jack is a more empathetic character, struggling with guilt and addiction, as well of constantly struggling to re-earn the trust of Wendy (his wife/Danny's mother) following events laid out in the book. Wendy herself, is not quite the pleasant quiet character from the movie. Wendy is very untrusting, quite judgemental, and resentful, not just of Jack, but of the relationship between Jack and Danny. In short the characters in the book are far more human, and it makes for a very compelling read, being able to relate, on occasion, to all of the main characters within.
Some of King's works are on a grand scale, and can feature tens (if not hundreds) of characters, but for me, his best works feature a smaller cast, building on a few characters, allowing the reader to develop more of an attachment to everyone in the book. If you've never read a Stephen King book, I highly recommend this as a place to start, it is gripping, tense, funny, scary and emotional all in one.
on 31 March 2014
I haven’t seen the film and I wanted to read the book as it’s hailed as being a brilliant horror novel. I expect people know the story by now, we follow the family of Jack Torrance who takes over as caretaker of the Overlook hotel for the winter, where only he and his family will stay as blizzards enclose the hotel. He has a small child, Danny, who has strange visions that seem to increase as they arrive and stay at the hotel.

There are a few spooky scenes and there is a lot of suspense but, given all the great reviews. I was left a bit disappointed by the actual book. I think maybe I was expecting too much. A couple of times I found myself getting a bit bored and I almost wanted to skip forward. I did care about the family and I wanted to know how is ended but sometimes it was a bit of a struggle to carry on reading. Saying that, the ‘ghostly’ scenes are very well written and you can image them very clearly in your mind. I love Stephen King but, for me, this was not one of his best.
on 4 March 2017
After years of planning to read The Shining, I finally got around to it and it was definitely worth the wait. Stephen King is a master storyteller and all his other books I've read have been fantastic, The Shining is just the same. I had times when I wanted to hide because it that scary. If you liked this book, I'd definitely suggest reading Doctor Sleep (which I some how read before this) but it's another great story of Danny and where his life takes him.
on 17 May 2017
One of the most exciting books I have ever read. I couldn't sleep for two days but not because of fear. I was so excited about what was going to happen in the end that I was not able to relax until I finished. I'm not a native speaker yet Stephen King is quite easy to read even after a tiring workday. I'm planing to read the sequel 'Doctor Sleep' as well (sorry about the spoiler; a sequel presupposes that not all will die in The Shining).
on 1 July 2017
Really good book, I read in on my night shifts in a hotel (which was the worst possible idea by the way). Perhaps slightly unhappy with the ending, but there's some really really gripping chapters!
on 20 March 2017
This is one of my favourite Stephen King novels. It has genuine scary moments in it and surrealism. There's also a detailed and painful portrayal of Jack Torrance being slowly taken over by the hotel ghosts/spirits.
on 14 May 2017
If I'm ever asked to name a book that can scare me, this is the one that comes first to mind. I'd seen the film first, yet somehow that didn't ruin the scares I got from reading this. I can fully understand why Joey in friends used to have to put the book in the freezer!
on 18 May 2017
I read this having seen the film and loved it.

The core elements of the story ring true in both the film and book but they both exist in their own right.

If you liked the film read the book.
If you liked the book watch the film.

You won't be disappointed with either one.
on 10 May 2017
I'd seen the film many years ago and loved it but the book is brilliantly written and I'd go as far as to say it's better than the film (like most books). It's definitely worth a read. It's the first Stephen King novel I've read and I'm so glad I did. I will now be reading alot more of his books.
on 8 June 2014
I've seen the film a few times but the book is even better! There are some moments where I was scared out of my wits!