Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 April 2017
The best thing for me about this book is the story within the book, I found it hard to muster up any sympathy for Paul the writer even when he was going through dark times with his number one fan Annie who has so many mental health issues are off the chart. I really wanted to enjoy the book which I gave 3 stars for part towards the end when Paul finishes the book and what he does to the book to spite Annie.

I watched the movie version a while back and Kathy Bates (Annie) steals the show and the film translated so much better on screen. I actually had sympathy for James Caan's (Paul). I will revisit the film sometime and see how it compares. To me it seems like the only part that was thought out was the story within the book and Annie's issues. I read and listened to the book and the narration by Lindsay Crouse and her performance added to the story and made it more bearable. Sci-fi is not usually my thing but of all the Stephen King's books this one stood out. So even though it was disappointing I am glad I stuck with it and gave it a chance.
I have watched many a Stephen King film, and some not even realising they were his in my younger years and a also many of these being favourites of mine.

However, I have never picked up a Stephen King novel, until now.
In hindsight I found this a good thing as I could appreciate not only the characters, but the setting and storylines and brilliance in the fear that Paul must have felt. I am unsure I would have grasped this the same way when I was younger.
Misery was a creepy, horrific read, but extremely clever and mind bending. I loved it! I was hooked in and thought the premise of the storyline so different and what a clever, clever plotline to follow. At times the reading was slow, but this was due to me having a break from reading and I was secretly savouring the read....
I thought how Paul managed to try to play Annie was clever and how devious her mind worked, I felt for her...
A whole new world of reading King has opened up. Looking forward to reading more.
on 11 April 2017
I think I have found a new favorite Stephen King book. For the most part, his novels are unnecessarily drawn out, with an anticlimax. That certainly isn't the case with Misery. We are thrown straight into the action from the very first page and the pacing and story telling never let's up. How King makes a book featuring only two characters and one setting such and engrossing read is testament to his ability as one of the greatest living writers. Fantastic.
on 11 August 2017
Love the characters, and have watched the movie a million times. The books is just so much better!
on 12 April 2017
Grippingly brilliant! Couldn't put this book down! Highly recommend this thriller.
on 22 August 2017
As described
on 29 November 2016
What a cracker. Great read.
on 12 November 2015
A good book to read,family member wanted it but couldn't find it so I went to Amazon and yes u had it THANKYOU very much when she got it she was so chuffed thanks again xx
on 22 June 2015
good quality
on 23 August 2017
Quick delivery. Excellent novel.