Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 February 2011
My son who is Autistic (he has Asperger's Syndrome) carried this book around with him throughout his teenage years, most everywhere he went. I remember we replaced it a time or two with a new book when the old one started falling to bits! He may even have a copy to this day.

I was always amused as to why this book was so important to him, his fixation with it. And although I was familiar with the story and the film, I could never see why it was so special to him. Well, I never did really find out and so had to draw the conclusion that the fuss was about a car with a girls name.

Anyways, I have just read the book myself and I have to say I thought that it was just great. Okay, maybe a little long before any action really gets going, but at the end of the book I realised that every word is necessary if you are to fully appreciate the toxic atmosphere behind the story.

Christine, the car herself, brings mixed emotions. You love her and you hate her at the same time, even through the murderous rampages. Stephen King brings her to life on the pages of his book and you feel the need to see her, to touch her, to let your fingers trail along her shimmering body work. You almost feel like running out of the way when she revs her engine and leaps forward - for this is a car like no other. I got a perverse pleasure at the end of the book. Analyse that!

Yep I loved it. Only Stephen King can lead me through page after page of dry text, (eg, his description of a high school football game,) and I manage to get a thrill out of it.

Quality stuff. Very enjoyable.
on 5 September 2002
Being a big fan of the film, I thought it quite neccassary that I read the book. Shocking.
The word passion springs to mind and that is pretty much what the book is about, a nasty little love triangle between Arnie, Christine and Leigh Cabot.
The film does the book no justice and I for one have now read the book twice and am still thrilled at the prospect of reading it again. My advice to anyone who feels that they should read it is: Book a week off work, listen to some 50s - 60s music and ENJOY!!!
on 24 January 2014
I have had this book in my library for close to twenty years without reading it. Don't ask me why, it just turned out that way. And here I am, in the year 2013, reading it on my Kindle of all things, even though I have two copies of the gosh-darn thing in paperback in two different editions, taking up space on one of my bookshelves. And what is more, it is by far the longest 'book' that I have ever read in e-book format. That is a review in its own right, but I will choose to continue. Because this is fun.

Anywho, the story goes like this: A young lad by the name of Arnie Cunningham is cruising the streets of his hometown with his pal Dennis ... When Arnie just happens to catch a glimpse of a vision of something that he never knew that he wanted. A 1958 Plymouth Fury sedan. The problem is, the car is a wreck, a rust bucket which shouldn't be on the road. And there is no way in hell that our Arnie can afford to fix it up. Dennis can see it for what it is but he cant make his pal Arnie see the wood for the trees. But Arnie buys it anyway. Because when Arnie looks at this particular Plymouth he doesn't see what everyone else sees. He sees a stud bucket on wheels. He sees success. He sees easy living. He sees everything he has ever wanted without ever realising he wanted it. In other words, the devil has come to Libertyville and he has set his sights on Arnold Cunningham's soul as his first possession.

Stephen King has always been a delight to read. In CHRISTINE, his writing is suspenseful, compelling and at times down right addictive. Given that the book was written back in the 1980s it still holds up remarkably well today. At times, CHRISTINE is shocking, but in a good way. You switch on the kindle (or open your book) and see an innocent and innocuous looking chapter that (so my kindle tells me) will take me 15 minutes to read but once you read this chapter you are faced with the choice of re-reading it for the simple joy of it, or rushing straight on to the next chapter even though it is a work day and it is well past your bed time. Personally, i tend to re-read them. His "shocking" chapters are classic Stephen King gore fests, which are gruesome, highly enjoyable rides of absolute terror and completely unexpected. Hence the shock factor. They can also be quite moving and emotional once your heart beat and blood pressure drop back to normal levels. And also once you have regained your grip on reality and your own sanity.

Seriously, reading CHRISTINE is like attending a master class in writing sophisticated horror fiction. As always with Mr King, his characterisation stands out like a lighthouse on full power being pelted by driving rain and heavy fog. His plot is sufficiently complicated and complex that the book never seems long despite its 746 pages. I have already mentioned its gore factor, the shocks and the unremitting terror in the second half. The only thing missing is a happy ending but if we had one of these we can't really say it is a horror novel, can we? But I shall answer that question when I have read the final page. But for now, I hereby award CHRISTINE by Stephen King a mandatory five stars out of five.

And so to the ending. The ending to this novel is perfect. It is brilliant, shocking and yet, heartbreakingly sad. But what else would we expect from the Master?

BFN, Greggorio.
on 2 February 2010
Excellent, scary book. In some ways, it's as much about youth and identity as a haunted car. King excels with brilliant pacing, genuinely compelling writing and the sort of authorial voice that makes writing look effortless and forces you to keep reading.
on 16 May 2016
To be honest, I didn't expect much, I always thought the idea of a "demon car" was kind of dumb. However, I ended up enjoying the book immensely. It all makes more sense in the book, over what they did in the movie adaptation.
on 23 December 2012
Having read all of Stephen King's 1970s and 1980s novels, this is the least scary to me...I just can't believe in a possessed car! Still hugely entertaining though - peppered with King's customary humour (although no amusing bumper sticklers), ratcheting tension, interesting sounding American snack foods and believable characters.

I just re-read this after 10 years, and despite not being particularly spooked by LeBay/Christine, enjoy the late 1970s backdrop, convincing family tension/love in both Dennis and Arnie's families, and felt so sad seing Arnie's gradual change from nerdy nice guy to something entirely different. Could Arnie have changed what happened, was there any way he could have put a stop to it? I sense not.

In anybody else's hands this tale would have been ridiculous, but SK makes it vivid, funny and bittersweet all at the same time. Not his best, but light years ahead of most other horror writers IMO.
on 24 July 2016
As a long time fan of S.K., there is nothing bad I can say about this book.
Has you hooked from the very first page - the man's storytelling skills are legendary. I have seen the movie beforehand, and the book still scares me. King is not for everyone, like no writer is for everyone. But if you enjoyed his other work pieces (The Shining, The Stand), etc, then you are bound to love Christine :)
on 8 July 2013
Christine was the first Stephen King work I read, and it's lucky that it served as my introduction to Mister King, because it's rather good. This is a great character piece, with two well-drawn and sympathetic central figures (Dennis and Arnold), teenage males whose friendship begins to fray as one of them starts to obsess over a car - namely a red 1958 Plymouth Fury known as Christine...

The main weakness with this story, as so often with King, is the conclusion, which is fairly ridiculous and drags on longer than necessary. But that shouldn't stop you reading Christine. For the most part, it's a thoroughly enjoyable ride...
on 21 October 2015
This has long been one of my favorite books. It has all the elements you would expect from King. The first time I read this book it was as a fan of the 1983 film version. After reading the book, I never watched the film again. I highly recommend this for fans of King, who haven't read it yet, or for horror fans in general.
on 12 January 2015
Christine was the first Stephen King book I read - I brought my first dog eared copy from a car boot when I was around 13 and from the first page the book held my focus and I enjoyed every page. I have since purchased a new copy and a kindle edition as my loved first copy is threatening to fall apart.

Fantastic writing by the master of horror and BUCKET loads better than the film!! Give it a read - you won't be disappointed!