Customer reviews

Don't You Forget About Me
Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 October 2012
This was my first Alexandra Potter book despite having a couple of her others on my chick lit shelf for a little while now and I must say that I was delighted. I didn't go in knowing what to expect from her, and I honestly didn't have a clue what I was going to get short of girl makes wish, wish comes true, zany things happen. Of course it has the usual chick lit formula but personally, I think this is what I love most about chick lit. The plot is safe. It's like a warm snuggly blanket and you know you'll leave the book with a warm feeling and a smile on your face and Don't You Forget About Me did just that.. though I wish we saw a little more of the ending!

The premise promises a fun little chick lit magical realism and this is exactly what you get. Tess makes a drunken wish on New Year's Eve and spends the next couple of days truly believing that she has gone mad as nobody can remember Seb or her having a relationship with him. It isn't until the diary she kept while with her ex turns up that she realises something must have happened and figures that hey, why not try again? This time she can fix everything she did wrong, right? This is the part where alarm bells go off in my head, as they often do in chick lit novels, and I want to shout at the protagonist for caving to manipulation and self-doubt. I think I disliked Fiona's trying to be somebody she isn't even more. Putting on a posh accent and trying to impress a group of self-important Chelsea girls.. I just couldn't get my head around the whys of this but then Tess wasn't much better, trying to be somebody she wasn't to impress Seb and then judge Fiona for doing the same thing. It made for a good ending but Christ it annoyed me while reading.

I also found it quite annoying that rather than just not swearing, she would go all.. "that thing he does with his... *interruption*" Or the one that really got me: vajayjay. It felt a little immature to me. Very teen. Either use swears and `dirty' words, or don't, there's really no need to hint.

Despite my annoyances, the fun of this book really was in watching Tess and Fiona try to be people that they just aren't and the resulting mess they found themselves in. It was a lot of fun to read and I did find myself giggling away a fair bit and by the end of the book I had tears in my eyes and a feel good feeling. I felt that the things that annoyed me were worth it for that ending. And at the end of the day, the worse she feels trying to be somebody else, the sweeter the ending when everything comes together.
VINE VOICEon 2 August 2012
First, a disclaimer: I'm a newcomer to Chick Lit. I read quite a bit but not in this genre so don't have a lot to judge this against.

That said, I thought this was a great read. My usual reads are urban/paranormal and come in black covers or apocalyptic fiction which have slavering zombies on the cover and as a rule anything with a pastel coloured covered doesn't even register when I'm scanning the shelves at the book shop or library. Lately though I'm getting burned out on the whole vampire/werewolf/demon thing and when I was offered a pastel covered book a while back I thought I'd give it a whirl to see what I was missing (that book was Out of the Blue by Belinda Jones) and I really enjoyed it so started checking out other pastel covers. I find that I really like the ones that have cartoony covers and that's what drew me to this one by Alexandra Potter.

Anyhoo, the book... I liked it. I wasn't sure at the start and got a bit lost with the mechanics of the wish fulfillment but by the end I was hooked and couldn't wait to see how it all came together.

It's the story of Tess who has recently been dumped by her boyfriend and she's heartbroken. She makes a wish on New Year's Eve that she'd never met him so that she doesn't have to suffer the pain of losing him and her wish comes true! It's as if they didn't meet. However, it's everyone else who forgets she ever met him, Tess herself doesn't forget and when she's given a second chance to do it all again, with knowledge of all the mistakes from before she's thrilled.

I have watched my fair share of 'RomCom' in movie form and this book is just like watching one of those. (I think this would transfer really well onto film and I'd definitely pay to watch it). All through the book there are little clues dropped and loose ends and it's not until the very end that they all fit together and tie up and along the way there's plenty of laughs and misunderstandings.

I did guess the ending within the first 3 chapters but that didn't spoil anything for me, I just looked forward to it happening. There are a few other twists throughout and I guessed a couple of those too but it was still a great read. I liked that all the loose ends were tied up nicely.

Some of the characters were hateful and I loved how they were dealt with in the end, likewise I liked how the underdogs were treated too. I just liked it all around really. As a newbie I'm a fan of the genre so far :)

I hope all the pastel covers I read from now on are as good as this!
on 11 January 2013
Having read and enjoyed other books by this author I was really looking forward to this one. I loved the whole idea of Tess changing her actions to try to eradicate her regrets, I knew it would make for interesting reading.

The book began on New Years Eve so the fact that I started reading it on that date was perfect! Tess was apparently still upset over her break up from sexy American Seb and when it came to midnight she made a wish that she had never met him. This was the part that I was most looking forward to, I couldn't wait to see how her actions would differ from the first time around.

As with the other books by this author I did lots of laughing, there were many funny moments but a few stick out in my head - a fake sweat disaster, the after effects of spicy food and a military fitness class are all events in this book that you should look out for. Whenever Tess visited her Gramps in the nursing home I couldn't help but smile and I felt that this was a nice touch for the book as it gave it more of a family feel.

I was surprised to find myself getting annoyed with Tess as the book progressed, it seemed that she was trying to be someone completely different and I couldn't see why she would change her life just for Seb (who was also seriously getting on my nerves with his selfish ways). Saying that, I did find it interesting to see how she reacted to things with the power of hindsight under her belt.

Even though I guessed quite early on how this would end, I still enjoyed the journey to get there and I think that it sent out a good message - you should always be yourself!

This was an enjoyable book, not my favourite by this author but it was definitely a fun read.
on 18 July 2012
The cover for Don't you Forget About me has to be one of my favourites so far this year so it was easy for me to decide which book I should read as my 200th book on Goodreads as this continually caught my eye and I have loved previous books by Alexandra Potter.

Heartbroken Tess has just been dumped by her boyfriend and all she wants is to get back together again, in a mysterious situation Tess gets her wish to go back and start the relationship from the beginning again and she is determined to do things differently this time to make the relationship work.
I thought this was an excellent storyline as I am sure we have all been in the same situation as Tess, broken hearted and would do anything to have a second shot at a relationship so we can relate to her character even though the majority of us do not get a second chance and definitely not one to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch.

There is a great amount of humour in this book which I found similar to the humour in Jane Costello's books. Often when Tess is on a date desperate to make the date more successful this time around but the majority of the time something terrible happens to her and yet although you feel for her you can't help but laugh! Tess was a likeable character from the first chapter as was her friend and roommate Fiona, and I loved the shocking twist surrounding Fiona later in the story which came out of no-where.

This is a fantastic romcom which gives you everything you can possibly want in a book laughter, romance and certainly pulls at the heart strings especially when it comes to Tess's granddad. I found the book pacey and there seemed to be something constantly happening on each page so it was very hard to put down. Alexandra Potter as come back with a bang !
on 7 August 2013
I am in the middle of reading this at the moment. I love Alexandra Potter's style of writing, it just carries me away into another world. I am enjoying this new adventure. I have read a cople of her books already, I enjoyed my very first one so very much I immediately went out and bought every one she had written to date. I don't normally like 'chick lit' but Alexandra does this with a twist.
If you like romantic stories with humour and a bit of fairytale fantasy rolled together please give her books a read.
At the moment Tess (the heroine in this book) has wished she hadn't met Seb the love of her life..and her wish comes true ! She has however met up with again having bumped into him firstly in Starbucks then at a computer shop. She is about to embark on her second date. Fingers crossed for a happy ending for Tess and Seb !!
on 6 September 2017
Loved it! Although each book has a different main character, you really feel for them, would love to have them as a friend, laugh with them and laugh out loud at them and really want them to have a happy ending. This book like the others written by Alexandra Potter have characters with heart and she writes with a lot of humour and things ordinary girls/women can identify with. Read nearly all of her books now and hope she writes some more. If you like the Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella, you will enjoy these books too.
on 17 September 2012
Don't You Forget About Me is a great new read from Alexandra Potter. It's another magical story which kept me hooked and I read it within a couple of days. It is the story about Tess who has been dumped by her boyfriend and makes a wish on New Years eve that she never met him, a wish that comes true the next day, she is the only one who remembers going out with him. She meets him again and tries the relationship again but does things differently in the hope that this time it will last - however she soon finds out that you can't change who you are to make a relationship work. I love Alexandra Potter and eagerly awaited the release of this book and it did not fail to impress. I love the way she makes her stories magical but still believable. A perfect holiday read!!
on 18 February 2013
Tess Connolly, the main character of Don't You Forget About Me, is a little ridiculous, but not totally unlikable. There are a couple of cringe-worthy moments when I can't believe girls like this really exist and furthermore that other people, presumably also girls, want to read about them. At times the character seems so shallow, and frankly quite stupid too, that I can't believe I didn't stop reading immediately.

What saves this book is that its moral is sound: don't pretend to be something you're not. In order to keep her boyfriend Seb happy and their relationship thriving, Tess is constantly trying to be something she's not, often with disastrous consequences. This message of being true to yourself is reinforced by the character Fiona, Tess' flatmate, who not only is the most unhealthy health & beauty editor, but she's prepared to adopt a fake persona to fit in with the 'posh set'.

Throughout the year that we follow the characters they discover more about themselves and who they truly are. With this new-found knowledge they are able to form better and stronger relationships with the people around them and ultimately be happier.
on 9 April 2016
I loved this book so much and wanted more from the characters as they were brilliant, wish the book was longer. wondefully written and believable. and i wish i could erase some of the dates i have been on to. Alexandra is becoming the queen of chic lit alongside sophie kinsella. well done xx will be reading more of her books. xx
on 3 March 2017
My 2nd by this author...and there will be more! Her heroines are so real and normal and believable, it's so easy to identify with them. You can really imagine yourself doing the same things and making the same mistakes...or is that just me??!