on 2 August 2015
I am reading through the Thomas Kydd saga and this is the first of the 13 books I have read that I struggled with to keep my concentration especially the last third of the book, I would and have rated the previous books a 4 or 5 star and think that if you are reading the saga you have to persevere and read this book to keep continuity. I have purchased the next book in the series and look forward to starting the book.
on 4 May 2014
I became hooked on this author from the very first hard back outing in this series and I still am collecting every one,despite the regrettable price increases on most hardbacks thses days, and insufficent discounting on some works. This is an excellent story and is on a par with every one published to date-this is a consistently fine author and the absence of unneccessary foul languge is a blessing. I have always found the use of the period vocabulary spoken by Kydd to be a little irritating but the overall excellence in terms of storyline, drawing of characters and the sailing and fightiong detail over rules any misgivings. This book and the others in the series are simply spendid. Julian Stockwin may well be the successor to Alexander Kent.
on 24 July 2017
ok, ive read all the series up to book 14 and I have to say this is one of the weakest. I just found myself reading it because I had read the previous one's which is a shame. book 14 was much better.
on 23 October 2012
For those of you familiar with the genre of Napoleonic naval fiction, and the Kydd series in particular, this is an excellent addition and a fantastic read.I note I am not the only one to have found it impossible to put down, amongst the reviewers!

I was slightly disappointed to see it compared similarly to the Hornblower series, as I think Mr Stockwins work to be profoundly superior.

I have read all 13 books, and as you would expect, the characters have been developed in a very pleaasing way through the journeys Stockwin takes them on.I find some writers in the genre get a bit too tied up in the action, and whilst that is extremely exciting in Stockwins books, the character development, and the descriptions of on board life are equally important.Personally, I enjoy hearing about the lives and conditions of the characters on board, and the romance of the sea, and its horrors,and they should be important parts of stories about the age of sail, and with Stockwin, they certainly are.
As a student of history, the other most gratifying thing about these tales, is the incredible attention to detail Stockwin puts into his research.Also, he discovers and writes about little remembered events that could have changed the course of history, and he does it with the authority and panache of a true storyteller, in love with his subject matter, and enormously capable of taking us, the audience along with his characters on their missions.
I woulld unreservedly recommend this to anyone who likes a great story, well told, and no naval tale reader will come away anything but hugely pleased with this greatly satisfying book.
Well done, Mr Stockwin.Please keep these coming.I await them all with great anticipation.
on 21 February 2013
Sorry Mr Stockwin.I read 'Betrayal' and would advise Kydd to saet sail for the open seas away fron South America as quickly as possible if this drawn out 'adventure' is the best that results.
I am re-reading O'brian just to make sure I am not being unjust.Seth Hunter and Russel Thomas and Donarchie are much more exciting and worthwhile reads.
The subject matter of 'Betrayal is interesting,but no substitute for action and interest.
One person found this helpful
on 3 June 2017
Great
on 21 September 2013
I have read all of the Kydd novels, and perhaps for me this was the least enjoyable. Not that it is bad, but more I think the area covered of the British invasion of Buenes Aries, provided little for the character to develop in
on 27 December 2014
Ex Naval man wright good historical stories, this one of a series - good read
One person found this helpful
on 25 November 2016
excellent book, typical of Julian Stockwin
on 27 July 2016
Excellent, but then the whole series is!