on 3 August 2017
You can take the boy out of Bedwas/Caerphilly but you can't extract the leagacy. A delight
on 18 March 2013
I have only one question. Why is this book not still the number one humour best-seller? If you are old enough (30+) and clever enough (proper degree from a proper university, not a jumped-up former polytechnic) you cannot fail to laugh out loud at every page. Hidden beneath the dyspeptic world view is beautifully written prose that says everything that should, and needs to be said about the UK today. If you value good writing and an an uncompromising view of life rush to order this now.
on 21 October 2014
Seasonal Suicide Notes had me in stitches from beginning to end, so I was looking forward to this. Not disappointed either. It deserves five stars if only for suggesting that Bruce Forsyth might put "Dulce Te Videre, Te Videre -- Dulce!" on his coat of arms.
Life with Our Rog must be hell on earth, but at a distance he's hilarious.
on 22 January 2015
Just writing a review because none of the other reviewers have
pointed out that Roger was brought up in the Welsh valleys in the early
1960s. The way he writes about those times and places was very interesting
to me. I can just about remember my Edwardian grandparents in
Swansea etc. Roger seems constantly suprised to find himself living in today's current times.
The juxtoposition of then and now sets the whole tone for the book.
on 29 July 2015
An excellent enjoyable read. Waspish comments about many well known personalities in
the theatre and poitical world, Mr Lewis is not afraid to trample on some highly over-groomed
toes. A witty and comical riot of well tuned words.
on 12 November 2011
And on the back of that dubious season, Roger and his publisher are going to try to persuade you to buy this awful book for your loved one. Now it may be that your relative is male, white, aging, cantankerous, conservative and that this book might appear to offer an easy solution to the Christmas present problem. However, if you have any vestiges of love left for him browse on through Amazon and find another one.

Let me select a fairly random line:'The radiographer said my liver was 'fatty' to which I was tempted to reply "and you're an ugly tw@t..up the b@m and no babies to you." Characteristic Lewis misogynism, but is it even funny?

Here's another excerpt: 'If I said I was Oscar's pre-op lesbian, transgender, one-legged, black, vegan, Mohammedan asylum-seeker, no doubt all doors would immediately be opened' (you don't really need to know the context). Even to those of the political bent to nod their head in agreement to this sort of tedious claptrap, is it actually humorous?

Well, I don't know. Some like Clarkson too. I will say no more. If you really think your elderly male relative needs a hardback full of whining self-pity, fatuousness and bigotry, then go ahead and make his Christmas. But you'll find the contents of a Christmas cracker cheaper, shorter and, above all, funnier.
99 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 May 2016
Doctor Roger Lewis ( two doctorates, but only one in his title) made me laugh a lot. A shame really, as it wakes me up last thing at night. I should read him earlier in the day.
on 4 March 2012
As for the title, I and the world at large ask the same thing, what is he still doing here?
on 25 November 2012
Mixed feelings! Someone well-known recommended this book as a "must" in the press recently, so I bought it. While the book IS fascinating and entertaining ,I think it is very much for (a) a cultured British reader and who would be familiar with the many people and places the book covered and also(b) a very well- read person with patience to understand the author's mindworking.
Ít left me with a slightly sad feeling for the author, perhaps that is due to influence by the title of the book . Easily and best read in chunks.
As I am a "colonial...." British person,with a modified British sense of humour,it was not my favourite cup of tea, but fun nevertheless.
on 3 May 2014
Good job I got this for 50p in a second hand shop otherwise I would have wasted my money as well as my time!