Customer reviews

The Flat Tummy Club Diet
Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 July 2012
This book is brilliant for helping you get your head around how to change your ways in the long term. We all know that 'going on a diet' doesn't work for any longer than you are on it. You have to change your habits, and actually this book can help you realise this can not only be possible but quite nice! But I did not eat the kind of stuff she suggested, which is basically low fat with quite a lot of carbs. I tried it for two days and was so starving I probably ate just as much as usual even if it was 'healthy' food just to keep my appetite under control. Instead I also read Dr John Briffa's 'Escape the Diet Trap' which gave me everything I needed to know to work out what to eat that suited me (more protein,a lot less carbs). I am never hungry now except in a good way and have lost 1.5stone.
on 19 August 2013
After feeling extra bloated for a few days I looking to Amazon to find a book to give me some diet tips regarding bloating. The Flat Tummy Club grabbed my attention and so I read some reviews and decided to buy it. Before I was even a quarter through the book I found myself making changes to my diet, and once I had planned a weeks worth of meals and drinks and shopped, I then wrote down my tummy measurements and weight in my diary.
I duly started the recommended exercises and drank lots of green tea with honey. One week later I had lost 2 lbs. The second week - I am now so into my healthy food and snacks that I lost another 4 lbs, and my tummy measurements have gone down by almost 3 inches! I am looking forward to my third weigh in tomorrow.
I cannot recommend this book any higher. Everything makes sense and I am never hungry - I particularly like the Sunday Stew on p331! Get the book and read what Kate has to say and I defy anyone who doesn't make a change to their diet.
on 12 May 2011
I had an early copy of this book and found it really useful - it's not faddy, but full of practical and helpful tips to make you more mindful of what you are eating. Kate has clearly read a lot of diet books herself and culled the best bits from a wide range. I lost 5 lbs in the first week!
on 29 June 2011
There has been quite a lot of press coverage about this book and I ordered it after reading a couple of articles about it. The writing style is very readable - easy to pick up when you have a minute.

Most useful for me were:
- suggestions of healthier alternatives for snacks rather than just listing what to avoid.
- the attitude of not just cutting foods out, but cutting down or finding a "healthier version" of the same food, e.g. swap a bar of milk chocolate for a couple of squares of dark chocolate so you can still get a chocolate fix, but dark chocolate is better for you than milk.
- suggestions of more filling foods to try and cut down the need for snacks.
- explanations of why certain foods are bad for you, as well as why others are beneficial.
- lists of great foods, along with recipes for how to incorporate them into your diet.
- the relaxed attitude - no strict diet rules or calorie-counting. It's just giving you some useful nutritional information and suggestions of how to eat well, but once you get the gist of it, you don't need to follow anything by the letter.

I have now changed my overall diet and this is a great reference book to go with my new lifestyle.
on 11 May 2011
The intro to the book made me feel this could make a difference (without wanting to sound too cheesy it's really insprirational), and after a rocky start I found that it was easy to follow and contained some brilliant tips - and my jeans started to do up much more easily. I'm now a convert to green tea which I never thought would happen. The author is great at making sure you don't beat yourself up for having the odd glass of wine / chocolate (okay make that the whole box and a big night out), just get back to eating well the next day. Try it!
on 31 March 2012
I'm really impressed with this diet so far - after the first week I have lost 5lb! Its full of practical, sensible advice. There's nothing particularly new or clever about what is being said (as the author readily admits herself), but its easy to follow and very "do-able", particularly if you like cooking. The only drawback is that sometimes I would like a bit more of a rationale about the background to things - eg. why is eating x better than eating y. However, I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to add a common sense approach to dieting.
on 20 June 2011
I couldn't agree more with the other reviews, Kate has written a sensible, well-researched eating plan which is easy to follow, easy to stick to and enjoyable to read. I've lost a stone in 6 weeks and am delighted with my flat tummy, slimmer thighs, clearer skin and new found energy. But the Flat Tummy Club is more than that. It reminded me of Allen Carr's book on stopping smoking. Similarly, the content is nothing earth shattering (too much of the wrong foods will make you fat, smoking is bad for you) but it's the delivery that makes all the difference. Kate's voice is strong and, like reading Carr's book, the more I read, the more I realised I was going to follow the plan, for my own good. By encouraging me to face my own food danger points, I could tailor the plan to suit me without following a rigid regime. It was so easy and I put that down to Kate's style, there was very little I didn't already know (though happy to have Congee, Kelp and Linseed in my life for the first time) but somehow she's hypnotised me into using that knowledge for the first time!!
on 15 June 2011
I'm always a bit sceptical when a "new diet" comes along, but i've got to say this one works. I've been on it for 3 weeks now and lost 9lbs. Easy to follow recipes....try the portugese chicken and mint soup, sounds vile, tastes wonderful. Good sound common sense advice. It's a winner.
on 19 May 2011
I've tried lots of different diets in the past but this is the first one where I've lost weight (over a stone in 2 months) and kept it off. It isn't rocket science and you don't have to punish yourself by eating only cabbage soup/beetroot/celery etc. You work out were your weaknesses are and focus on them, tailoring the diet to your own needs. I found the tips around healthy snacks and recipes really good - I've even managed to get my husband to eat some of the dinners! This book really does work so give it a go.
on 2 September 2011
I have tried a number of diets in the past with variable success. I have previously found slimming world successful but not currently able to find the time to attend a club, so after reading good reviews, thought I'd give this book a try. It has been brilliant -19 days in and 11lb lighter, feeling much fitter and still very well motivated to continue.
The book is very easy and quick to read with emphasis at the beginning on looking at your current eating habits and nemesis foods (ie those that you just can't stop eating once started), with lots of good advice on ways to curb cravings.
There are general principles and advice on healthy eating, but you are encouraged to design your own eating plan based on these healthy principles and the foods that you enjoy, with an emphasis on seasonal home cooked food.
The FTC diet also encourages you to increase your physical activity with whatever you enjoy (Kate Adams walked - lots!)
The tone of the book is really encouraging and inspirational with good advice on managing your diet when under stress, on holiday, losing motivation etc.
This diet will not suit somebody who relies heavily on convenience foods (though it is amazing how quickly and easily really fresh healthy meals can be made).
I have really loved searching health recipes from my cookery books and the internet and my husband keeps raving about how delicious the food is that we've been eating. I have lost weight without feeling hungry or deprived (except for wine!), have really enjoyed eating healthy fresh food and exercising more, and (according to husband and friends) am looking much trimmer.
I have tried various diet books in the past which I have found briefly successful but unsustainable (often faddy with lots of banned foods which left me feeling listless). The Flat tummy club diet feels more like a welcome change in lifestyle which I feel happy to stick with in the long term... Love it!!