Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 August 2013
I am rereading all the Stephen king books and had forgotten how good thus one is. It is interesting that king returns to this theme in a lot later book 11.22.63
on 4 May 2014
Another great yarn from the best horror writer in the 20th century. You always know what you're going to get with Stephen King and that is not a criticism.
on 2 October 2014
Enjoyed every word - so readable and not as terrifying as some. Just a well written, brilliant story. Stephen King is the master for a reason
on 19 February 2013
This was another brilliant book written by Stephen King. The main character was very relatable and you felt for his problems. A great read.
on 4 August 2013
Great reading, this was a real page turner, i recommend it for any avid readers of suspense/thrill novels guarantee you will want more!
on 14 March 2014
one of my favourite SK books, read it after watching the movie with Christopher Walken and still found it thrilling
on 18 January 2013
Great read well worth it would recommend it to anybody!!!
Not a scary King book but a really good one!!
on 23 February 2014
what happened to Johnny is possible belief in this matter is up to the individual we all have beliefs true
on 14 May 2010
First things first. The edition of this book that I read has one of the ugliest book covers I have ever seen. Making a cover around baby pink and hot pink is, in my opinion, a very bad idea, no matter what. Of course, one might argue that it's a question of personal preference, and you shouldn't judge a book by its cover... But I'm going to be honest and say I winced every time I went to pick it up.

Anyway. This is the third book by Stephen King that I've read, the other two being "The Shining" and "The Eyes of the Dragon". I absolutely loved "The Shining"; comparatively, "The Eyes of the Dragon" was a huge disappointment. I still have a hard time believing they were written by the same person. So I approached "The Dead Zone" not really knowing what to expect.

At first I was let down. The first 70 pages or so seemed to drag along without really saying anything. I couldn't understand or feel anything for the characters, in fact I felt like I was being led to feel sympathy for them (here we have John Smith, such a nice young fellow with his life ahead of him, who is going to be in a terrible accident, oh and he's in love to boot, the poor thing) and, oddly, it was having the exact opposite effect. It wasn't until the accident that the book got interesting. At that moment, all the characters just seemed to snap out of it and come to life. Then afterwards, Johnny woke up, and I was hooked.

There are a lot of side stories in this book, all of which converge at some point or another at Johnny's life. It's interesting to see the characters evolve, their views changing and their reactions towards what they can't, or won't understand change according to their personalities. Politics, religion, violence, destiny, fate, fear, choice, lost hopes, it all comes together in Johnny's mind.

If you like Stephen King, then I heartily recommend reading this book. If you've never read any of his books, this isn't the one I'd recommend to start with, but it's still pretty good.
on 8 September 2013
Very good couldn't put it down once I started to read it. As alway Stephen King makes a good read.