• It

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2017
Spine chilling read. You won't want to stop once started.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 September 2016
Originally published in 1986 'IT' will always be one of my favourite Stephen King novels but it is a long, complicated read. The scene setting is meticulous as King seeks to explore each and every detail of his story from the dreadful town of Derry, Maine, to his key characters, seven children, between two different time zones. His slow, methodical pace makes for a claustrophobic atmosphere and a brooding sense of unease which takes a while to develop. 'IT' is the story of an evil which survives in the heart of Derry and that evil is only matched by the ugliness revealed in the heart of some of the residents. At the beginning of the book King sets his plot in the late 1950s and introduces his central characters, a small group of children, who experience an horrific incident in different ways. King then moves forward in time to the mid 1980s and a brutal, savage murder whose aftermath reunites the friends and sends them into battle against a force of evil so old and powerful they might not survive. The time zones are beautifully handled and when King turns on the 'horror' it's very horrible indeed. There are some superb supernatural and horror elements here but they're wrapped up in a huge amount of scene setting and character development. Be patient. Makes for a powerful, hard hitting story but absolutely not a fast read. I still love to read 'IT'.
on 14 January 2017
My favourite ever book, read for about the 10th time :) If you haven't read this, do, you won't regret it. ;)
on 20 June 2017
I last read 'IT' when I was 18 and remember how utterly terrifying the read was. I often would put the book down to prepare myself for what would happen next....way too scared for the characters who I came to love and genuinely fear for. I am now 44 and have just finished reading 'IT' again; well it was better than I remembered and just as terrifying. It's the forthcoming 'IT' movie that has encouraged this trip down memory lane. I have viewed the trailers and I am beyond excited to see the film this September. I just loved reading this book again and I am happy that all events will be fresh in my mind for when I see the Movie. Stephen King is the author of my youth and I will most certainly be revisiting other Mr King titles I'm sure. Such a talent!
on 11 June 2017
first read this book quite a few years ago and with the release of the film remake thought I'd give it another read. The book really is as good now as it ever was and still a creepy. If you've never read Stephen King I'd say this is a good place to start.
on 13 June 2017
Love this book so gripping and well written. However the hooder print is awful it was bent on arrival and the pages are so stupidly thin it creases as you read it even more!!! Obviously you can't transport a book of this size so it shouldn't be so broken!!!
review image
on 2 March 2017
Bought as a present for my sister who is obsessed with Stephen King, and so even though I have not read it, she was over the moon and has only given me good feedback.
on 23 February 2017
So much better than the film. Great read.
on 24 January 2017
But worth every word. Putting down the novel for the final time seems both apt and poetically tragic. I'll miss these characters but they'll soon fade from memory. King knows his trade like few others.
on 3 May 2017
I loved this book. I watched the mini series when I was a kid, so I didn't think I would be able to get much from reading the book. I was very wrong. Deep and creepy. It's a long book, but I could have stayed with it and the characters for longer.