Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 November 2012
Volume two in what will hopefully be a long series of books telling the story of a fictional school in the Yorkshire Dales, this is an amusing but realistic story, obviously drawing on the author's lifetime experience as a School Inspector. If you enjoyed the first book, then you will love this sequel.
on 15 October 2012
Having previously enjoyed the first of this series by Gervase I was really looking forward to reading his second offering. I was not disappointed. The characters are so well drawn that you feel you actually know them and as with the first book I love the apt names he has given each person in the village. The story drew you along and thankfully all the characters ended up as I hoped they would. I was a little surprised to find myself actually feeling a little sorry for Miss Sowerbutts in this book. I hope the village books do not end here as I'd like to see how Danny and some of the others progress.
VINE VOICEon 21 June 2015
I am back for my second term at the Little Village School.

I am coming back to heartwarming characters, gossipy village ladies and some tension. Enough to keep you turning the pages.

The closure of the school seems to have been to dealt with, but now there will be an amalgamation of schools and it seems that the headteacher Elisabeth Devine has more battles to face.

She has drawn out so many of the teachers who will now inspire and encourage the young minds that they are meeting every day, but she has also made them look closely at their own happiness.

One of those young minds Oscar, seems to be challenging as always and gives the school caretaker much to mutter about.

There is of course Danny who you think has found a more settled life into which to grow. It seems someone else has other ideas and the author brings into the story social services and the battles of right and wrong in not just the best education for a child but also the best home environment you can have. It raises questions about what is best for the child?

In this book as we wait to find out how exactly the amalgamation of two schools is going to work and whether the board of governors and local councillors can agree on a solution which doesn't appear to be in their own interests. We learn more about Elisabeth and her son. Progress is made but then something from the past brings back memories and can perhaps disrupt future plans.

Of course this book takes you right into the depths of Yorkshire and the wonderful humour it brings. I much enjoyed it and look forward to finding out more about the school and all the characters which make the village what it is.
on 21 November 2012
Trouble at the village school, Good story but must be read in right order of story, I would recommend both books
on 6 July 2015
Not quite up to the standard of the first book in series, I found the plot around 'amalgamation' a bit repetitive, but the characters and the little sub-plots were as interesting as all GP's books. Surprised by the abrupt resolutions that all seemed to take place over last half a dozen pages, felt there should have been more made of them. Nevertheless, already into the third book, and the fourth will undoubtedly follow. Still a fan!
on 28 July 2015
I love this mans style and humour. I can transport myself back to a misspent youth and hear similar events from my own early days at school. A time when we echoed the thinking of our olders and betters but without the inhibitions that diplomacy and care impose. Often having been told that "your schooldays are the best days of your life" it has taken a lifetime of work to pass before I really, truly appreciated the truth in the view.
on 3 May 2015
The second in the village school series and very nearly as good as the first. The only reason I took off a star was because I felt that too much time was spent in the early part of the book going over in detail what had happened in the first. I can appreciate that if you had not read the first, then the second becomes more stand-alone, but my advice would be simply not to miss out on the delightful first novel. Having said all that, it is still a compelling, funny and very well written tale of village life and rural politics. Looking forward to reading the next one in the collection.
on 13 May 2016
Gervase Phinn has a delightful way of writing, and his books are a joy to read. I highly recommend Trouble at the Little village School. This book is the 2nd of a series about the Little Village School.
on 24 October 2015
This is one of a trilogy of novels by Gervase Phinn who never fails in his writing to tell us a really good story of the Yorkshire Dales and the sometimes difficult, sometimes endearing, folk who live there. As a teacher and inspector of schools he is able to draw on a lifetime of experience and these books, although fiction, do ring true. Do read them all - in the right order.
on 21 February 2015
There is more of a story here than in some of the earlier books, which were mostly a string of jokes loosely made into a story.
There are some funny moments and some quite well-rounded characters.

I still get confused by the similar book titles and cover pictures. They are so similar that I have probably missed reading some of Phinn's gems
Maybe the books should be numbered as well as named.

I've pre-ordered the third book in the series.