on 24 May 2015
I have always liked Gervase Phinn, and as I know the area he was born in, and as I live in Sheffield in the first place. I have collected all his Dales Book Series, the first three books of the Village School Series ( I will get the fourth book in the series in due course) his autobiography. and also a copy of "Little Angels". Surprisingly, his books are extremely difficult to find. Hurrah for Amazon! Received this on 23rd May 2015, and am looking forward to reading the book!
on 13 October 2017
Another of his books that really lift the spirit whilst reading. He is very amusing and at the same time shows his caring for all children.
on 19 June 2017
Very good compendium of some of his best yarns. Two notably hilarious stories were,"the airline traveller in a hurry at Checkin and the doorstep political canvasser.
on 28 March 2015
I enjoyed reading the children's comments and anecdotes as I recognised many from my own personal experience. The writer as a way with words and this was as interesting a his tour books. I hope here will be more, especially the little village school series.
on 13 March 2016
Read this book with disappointment. considering his qualifications in English, I'm surprised at the poor use of certain adjectives, and the abundance of similes that irritated me.
on 12 June 2015
I got this because I thought it was going to be a humorous look at old age, but instead it's the rather conventional reminiscences of a school inspector. I ploughed through it, but was not remarkably entertained.
on 10 December 2014
I loved this dip in and dip out book. Lots of little stories of things that happened and his thoughts. Lovely read. I really like his humour. I found it a little slow to start with but soon got into it and really enjoyed it.
on 18 March 2017
Love Gervase Phinn's books
on 11 April 2013
I seem to be predictable with my 5 star rating of Gervase Phinn's works. As I have stated on other revies of his work they all belong to my wife, who since starting reading his works has laughed and giggled lots. I am going to have to listen to them if I ever prize the walkman out of her grasp!
on 18 January 2014
I have read all Gervase Phinn's autobiographical stories and this was up to his usual standard. The stories are rather predictable but I still enjoy them, nevertheless. His writing techniques have developed over the years and now his style is faultless. I have actually seen him live many years ago and can always viualise him describing the incidents he has witnessed. The incidents are sometimes a little cheeky but always inoffensive .