Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 April 2017
Bought as a birthday present for my dad. He really enjoys this series of books. A great buy.
This book had one of the most action packed and enjoyable openings I have ever read. I read the first 70 pages, took a five minute break and then ended up reading up to page 207. The characters and stories jump off the page and you really feel as if you are part of the action and the story. I liked Joe Hunter in Dead Men's Dust, I loved him in Judgement and Wrath. I can see Hunter becoming a favourite fictional character of mine.

I enjoyed the story in this book and the action did not let up until the very last page. It really does read like a Hollywood blockbuster and it is incredibly difficult to put it down. I was trying to read this with somebody talking to me and it was really frustrating wanting to tell them to shut up and let me read! It is an excellent book and one that I thoroughly enjoyed. I love the way fiction allows authors to push the boundaries - they aren't bound by limits (e.g. money) - after all and situations can often seem unrealistic however all that serves to improve the story for me and I want books like this to be as action packed as possible, and this book is definitely that!

Overall this was a great book, a lot better than Dead Men's Dust - which in itself was a great book - however I think Matt Hilton is an author that will just get better with each book if this one is anything to go by.
on 8 October 2009
Cracking. And thats not just the sounds of the bullets in this installement.
Hunter is back and straight into the action, which i love. I gave the first book Dead Mens Dust 4 stars 'cos it was a little slow starting, but Hilton delivers in spades with this one. Right from the intrigueing first chapter which is full of malice and intent the book snowballs into an action packed riot.
The killer in this version is Dantilion: whilst not as enjoybale a character as Tubal Cain, he is an evil twisted and uncomfortable character to read. I guess the authors done a good job when you shiver because of the beastly intent of a bad-guy. Where as Tubal Cain was full of one liners, Dantilion is just pure menace.
Highlight for me with this book? Mr. Rington aka Rink. He's moody, arrogant and provides the perfect side-kick to Hunter (who retains the mystery to his past...). The dialogue between Hunter and Rink is world class - there is a scene where Rink is slapping down some wannabe bodyguards and its hilarious.
The action from islands blowing up to insane car chases makes you feel like you're watching an episode of 24. And the ending...well...poetic justice me thinks, but its very clever.
Word of warning - this is a fast paced, action packed thriller. I enjoy the fact that Hilton doesnt tell me the sky is blue or that water is wet etc. He delivers a knockout of action, pace and intent.
If you want a rollercoaster 24 hours this book is for you.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 September 2016
A cracking second entry into the Joe Hunter series. I wrote the review for the first and this second title retrospectively while going through book 7 and thus far, this titles has been one of my favourites. As with these types of titles, do not expect a masterrafted epic saga, take it for what it is, a action packed thriller with small plot holes here and there, some out laddish stuff and a lot of violence.

Rick and Joe are solid characters as ever, much like the first title, they are not flawless superheros and stumbles can come back to bite them which is neat. The main villain in the book is somewhat believable although there are elements that make you go hmmmm. I do for once actually like the supporting cast, they are few of the people I still recall after putting the book down and now moving on to the 7th book.

There is of course alot of blood and the action is kept going throughout, infact the first part of the book seems to dive straight in which is great stuff. In all this is a solid book and one of the better one in the series as a whole. I would award it 4.5 stars, as its not without flaws, but alas being able to vote only in whole numbers, it gets a 4. Solid buy that will whittle away the hours.
on 7 September 2016
As with the first book in this series for me this was almost as much 'horror' as 'thriller' but, again as with the first book, once started I found it hard to put the book down as it kept me fully engaged right up to the final chapter of the story. Once again this was for me a gripping, action packed, and very enjoyable read.
With regards the 'stars' awarded I use a standard approach based on awarding one star for a 'yes' to each of the following questions: 1. Did I enjoy the story? 2. Did it hold my attention throughout? 3. Did I get to know the characters and care what happened to them? 4. Was I sorry that the story finished - did I want to read more? and 5. Would I buy another book from this author? The answer to each of those is 'yes' - in fact I have just started number three in this series - consequently this book gets my 5 stars.
on 9 October 2013
I read the first Joe Hunter... it was poor. 3 years later trapped in camping holiday downpours with nothing left to read - I bought this, the second book in the series. I had determined to give the author a second chance. It was against my better judgement. It wasn't worth the £2. I couldn't even finish it... I read Child, Coben, Baldacci, Leather, McBride, Ferris, Hart and many more. I love a thriller. I love a character driven thriller. I like some self-righteous action and shaky morals in an anti-hero. On paper I should love Joe Hunter. I am the marketers model customer - hell they even dress them like a Lee Child novel.

Why did this fail to meet the required standard?

Simply - the writing just isn't good enough.
Because the lead character has no depth and little believable motivation or empathetic value. The villains are absurd and pantomime in the extreme. In this case the Joker meets Lionel Blair with a skin complaint. The victims are generally charmless and without much interest. The action is overblown, often to unreal for even my overactive suspended disbelief. The narrative structure is so simplistic it relies on coincidence and cliché to progress and the general requirement that despite the limited skill of the protagonist (he achieves almost all via the timely interjection of others)he's smarter, faster and better than all others. How bad and incompetent everyone else is breath taking.

The dialogue is on a 'Megashark the Movie' level - with characters using the same expressions repeatedly to each other and indeed repeat prose to describe action. There is no narrative subtext - no meat to the socio-economic backdrop and little context that adds real intrigue or bite to the story.

If you are a fan of the authors mentioned above then you should read Matt Hilton and make up your mind where he fits in the thriller pantheon. My review is an honest sign post and no more.
on 3 October 2013
I used to think Jack Reacher was the best but I've changed my mind. Joe Hunter is fearless, courageous and although morally questionable at times he's a man after my own heart. It is a great wrench to put the book down in order to get some sleep. I am now on Book 7. What on earth shall I do when I have come to the end of the series?
on 10 February 2013
Good characters, good plot, hard to put down ..Matt Hilton is on my "read" list. Judgement & Wrath doesn't disappoint !!
on 24 November 2013
I bought this for my husband and from the moment he started it he was already lost in it, he finished it in record time and enjoyed every bit of it. Full of action, crime,. Now bought the next one any looking forward to the release of his next book.
on 17 March 2012
I have to say that I'm really enjoying this Joe Hunter series.

Judgement and Wrath is a fast-paced exciting story. I like Hunter and Rink, they have depth of character, and Dantalion was a believable enough Villain for me.

It's important to remember that these books are thrillers, and whilst researching to get enough realism in as possible, the author also has to make it exciting for us readers, otherwise they'd be the exact opposite of a thriller!

I read this book quickly as I didn't want to put it down. I enjoyed switching from one persons viewpoint to the other, I also enjoy seeing things unfold from Hunters viewpoint, and knowing his thought process.

All in all, a great read. :D