on 16 December 2011
Spearheading this year's trend for Nordic and Scandinavian cuisine, Signe Johansen's Scandilicious has been one of my favourite books of the year, so much so I've renewed my library copy SIX times now and will inevitably buy it when they forcibly remove it from me.

The styling is effortlessly, well, stylish with graphic printed linens and ceramics. My top recipes are Jarlsberg and fennel muffins, Daim cake and the blackberry, almond and cardamom cake. Plenty of dinner and snack dishes in here too, there is a fair amount of baking but not limited to that - roll on Scandilicious Baking coming out July 2012, I hope it's as delightful as her first book.

Foodies have been praising Nordic/Scandi cuisine for a couple of years now but possibly 2012 will see this type of cuisine go mainstream at a more upmarket level than mere Ikea cafe.
22 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 December 2013
Cookbook is written by a Norwegian 'food anthropologist' trained at Leith's. I can only suggest that this has diluted her heritage. The recipes are well written out, but very simplistic. Do we really need five double pages on salad? The pictures are beautifully posed and styled, but a fair proportion of them are full page shots of the author, looking coy, cute, winsome and Nordic. Fine in its way, but actually a picture of each dish, even a small one, close to the recipe, would be more to the point. And what is the point of a tastefully lit bowl of lemons, or a lone shiny apple? Most of us can recognise fruit by the time we get to buying recipe books, what we might find helpful is a picture of the cake we're aiming to produce. In addition, the grammar ( I know, we don't all agree) is weak and clearly not properly proof read. All in all disappointing. I will certainly use a number if the recipes that are unfamiliar to me, but I could have spent the money better if I'd checked it in a bookshop first.
on 6 February 2014
I was disappointed in this book. It's certainly well done and well written, but you've got to have a sweet tooth... It's organized by meal : breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon cake, dinner and desert. This list gives you some clues at what's wrong here... Except for lunch and dinner, the rest is only sweet recipes : drinks, jams, cakes, pastries etc... For lunch ? it's only sandwiches... So that leaves you with dinner, which is way too short... You want fish recipes ? It's mostly seafood : prawns, shelfish, and smoked salmon/trout. She rarely uses fresh fish, and it's mostly healthy food. Basically you never see a real appetizing meal... The cakes certainly look gorgeous, but that's all. Oh and you won't find any of the Scandinavian cheeses outside of Scandinavia so a list of substitutes would have been nice... I actually think Jamie Oliver did a better job at make his readers want to eat Scandinavian in Jamie Does...
on 3 May 2012
Having been toying with the idea of buying the Nordic Cookbook thought I should read all the reviews, most of which were critical of that book, and there was strong recommendation to go for Scandilicious instead. Having read reviews on Scandilicious 5 stars all round how could I go wrong, so ordered that instead. Said book arrived promptly, and I was so looking forward to seeing what all the fabulous reviews were about. Having spent adequate time perusing the recipes, oh dear I feel I've made the wrong choice.

Maybe I'm missing something but a majority of the recipes to my mind are exceptionally dull, I'm hoping that with more reading and trying the recipes out if I can muster the enthusiasm, it may well grow on me, but at the moment would anybody like to buy a copy, condition, "hardly used", "like new"...

Unless Amazon wrote the (Scandilicious) reviews, in that case very clever marketing, as I'm now going to order the "Nordic Cookbook" which is what I should have done in the first place.
on 1 May 2013
beautiful recipes, I can't wait to try out the bread recipes. I have long been a fan of scandinavian food and flavours. I have so far had a few of the open sandwich suggestions (the goat cheese, radish and rosehip was amazing!), and have also made the potato and egg salad and the cottage cheese with beetroot. Everything tastes really fresh and balanced, and most of it is very healthy as well. If your only experience of scandi food is Ikea's meatballs and Daim cake, you should buy this book if only for the daim bar cake recipe in here, as well as to try some much yummier scandinavian food! A lot of the recipes in here are actually fairly quick to knock up as well, and there are lots of really lovely breakfast and brunch ideas as well. This book is going to be one of those that is hardly ever on the shelf in my house...
on 10 May 2011
What struck me first about this book was how lovely it was to flick through. Clean layout, decorative but not fussy and striking photographs. Very scandinavian, of course. I've followed Signe's blog for some time and admired her baking skills and her knowledgeable approach to food and cooking. So I was very interested in seeing what her first cookbook would be like and I have not been disappointed. The recipes are all clearly written and very easy to follow. I love cooking and am very happy with savoury cooking. However, I'm not an experienced or confident baker. I love good bread but have been always nervous about using fresh yeast, the kneading process and about the amount of skill I would need to produce a good result. Well, on my first attempt at Spelt & Fennel Seed Bread I was delighted with the whole process. The instructions were easy to understand, the kneading was short and easy and I ended up with some absolutely delicious bread. Excited, I made another recipe from the book, Salmon Tartare, to go with it and ended up with a delicious nordic meal before I knew it. Seriously love this book. Too often cookbooks assume more knowledge than the reader has or are too basic but this book is, like its food, simply refreshing, unfussy and... works! My next attempt will be Signe's cinnamon rolls. Can't wait to bake and I thought I'd never say that!
0Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 March 2017
sadly I did not find this as exciting as I hoped.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 December 2013
I love anything Scandinavian, and the cooking is no different. Some lovely mouth watering recipes. A bit unusual some of them, and some of the ingredients a bit difficult to find, but yummy all the same. A great book for those wanting to try something different.
on 15 February 2016
One of the best Scandi food writers who understands us Brits and blends that into lovely Nordic food!!!!
on 7 June 2017