on 28 May 2013
First things first, this book is LONG. This becomes a problem because the second half is not very good. I really enjoyed my time reading the first half because McLaren comes up with some really refreshing ideas. However, when he comes to comment on how these ideas should change the way we act he seems to just fall into the trap that he is trying to avoid; namely that his faith becomes weakened. The ideas simply dry up.

A good book to provoke thought, but about 50% too long.
4 people found this helpful
on 25 February 2014
This is grown up Christianity. Brian McLaren approaches the subjects that confront modern Christians in a thoughtful yet easy to read way. I don't agree with all his ideas but then we all have differing experiences and attitudes. This is a book for Christians who live in the modern world - and want to.
4 people found this helpful
on 3 January 2017
I wish everyone could read it and think on what it is saying. Once again, we are in a time where we need to learn to cross the road together rather than engaging in endless road rage!
on 30 June 2014
An excellent and well considered piece of writing that challenges many of the ideas that Christian teaching takes for granted and puts our relationships with other faiths into a clearer perspective
2 people found this helpful
on 24 July 2014
I haven't read a book like this before, but it ticks so many boxes for me and makes great sense, should be compulsory reading for all Christian ministers.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 November 2016
In this present era and beyond into the future, humanity will desperately require "something " to try and live peacefully together in this tumultuous world. This book guides All humanity towards that goal.
Alex Stevenson
on 15 June 2016
A thinking man's guide to religious doctrines and how to agree to disagree.
on 18 September 2014
Excellent book. Well written. Entertaining, interesting and deep in equal measure but not in the same places. Quite heavy going in some places but it's worth it. Well researched and referenced
on 1 April 2018
A most inspiring book dealing with such an important subject.
on 7 September 2015
still reading it so can't give a full review yet