on 5 November 2010
There were a couple of books of "Parkinson" interviews published in the 1970s and 80s, and some of that material is re-used here, in the same sort of format - lots of pictures and excerpts. You certainly get an excellent range of interviewees, and some good anecdotes, but it's not the sort of book to 'lose' yourself in. There's not enough depth for that. I would imagine that someone who does research into "showbiz" will find the book invaluable as source material, and those who want a book to "dip into" will be delighted with this.
on 11 November 2010
A fascinating read of celebrities, some of whom are sadly no longer with us, but also those that still are. Brings them to life and when reading about their exploits and thoughts, I felt as if I was there listening in on a conversation. Very well written and documented. A book you can put down and pick up without missing a beat! Thoroughly enjoyable.
on 30 October 2010
I am just half way through this book and its a very enjoyable read. Lots of pics and very interesting interviews. Certainly a book to keep!
on 2 November 2010
My Mum saw a copy of this at my house and has been asking me again and again if I can get her one for Christmas! But don't think that this is just for the retired. I must say that this is a real fave of mine too, am v pleased to be reading about David Niven alongside Roald Dahl, Tom Jones, and Dawn French [all personal heroes], and they are proper revealing interviews.
on 6 April 2013
Michael Parkinson was required viewing on a Saturday night, usually after Match of the Day if my memeory serves me right. Although I have read most of the interviews before, I just had to get this book on Kindle. Its a who's who of the stars and personalities he had on his show, and a book that I would highly recommended.
on 13 November 2010
Interesting book, Parky has met them all. There's some cracking Parky interviews on Youtube but I didn't realise who Parky had met until I'd read this book. I wish they'd repeat them on TV but if not maybe put them on DVD.
on 23 June 2014
Wasn't over impressed. More about Parky himself and less about the people he met. Not my thing was looking for more of an insight into people he met, shame really. Looked forward to it, then ended up disappointted
on 4 December 2010
I've admittedly not read the full book, but based on the small excerpt I sampled, I question the value of bothering with a full read. These are only excerpts from the interviews Michael Parkinson conducted over many years. Yes, there does seem to be a broad spectrum of personalities included here.

But the entry for the person who most interested me, Peter Sellers, smacked of poorly researched and rehashed info regurgitated by second-rate underlings sheerly for the sake of putting words on a page to financially benefit Parkinson and the publishers. "First published in Great Britain in 2010 by Hodder and Stoughton. An Hachette UK Company."

An hatchet job by an Hachette Company. The introductory material for Sellers states that he WON the Oscar for Being There. I can attest with absolute certainty and even 100% accuracy that Peter Sellers did NOT win the Oscar for Being There, it was Dustin Hoffman for Kramer vs. Kramer whom Sellers lost out to in 1979.

Furthermore, within the actual Sellers interview, the text recounts an incident when Spike Milligan was occupying Sellers' flat whilst Peter was away. Sellers stated that he had just been married as had Spike. Sellers is speaking of his first marriage in 1951. As the text reads, Peter tells Parky that it was no problem as he "was going away with Suzanne anyway."

Peter's first wife's name is Anne, NOT Suzanne. Doubtful Sellers would have been referring to anyone on the side during an interview of this sort, especially when relating that he was JUST married at the time. What is more likely is that some publishing flunkies were transcribing the interviews and had little to no knowledge of the content they are regurgitating.

I have an earlier hardbound book of Parky's interviews from some years back, which was also only a collection of excerpts. I can provide the specifics of that book after holiday travels are done.

REALLY, Michael Parkinson should be ashamed to sign his name to this. I'll wager there are plenty more inaccuracies besides those in the Sellers pages. Facts seem to be a relic of auld lang syne that are just not required in publishing these days.
on 13 June 2013
Although I have watched only some of the interviews on tv, reading the book is a great joy. Parkinson is a sensitive person, and the humour is a basic component in the interviews, which makes the book very lively.
on 6 January 2013
After reading Michael Parkinsons biography and having watched many of his series of chat shows I then found this book and bought it.
I love it and unlike a normal biography or novel I can just pick out those celebrities who were on his show and read just the odd few pages at a time.
Meanwhile I can read my other biographies and novels.