Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 October 2014
I have admired his acting and diverse characters for years and took this opportunity to read this book. I was not disappointed. It moves along with wit and charm throughout and gives an insight into a man that "fame" appears not to have changed, which I was pleased to note.
I would recommend this to all who admire his work.
on 14 November 2010
I read What's It All About years ago and this is basically an abbreviated version of that with a bit more tacked on to include the last fifteen years. Buy his first autobiography from a charity shop and then wait until this one hits the same shelf.

Save your money.
on 23 January 2011
Looked forward to this with great anticipation and reread his earlier biography to get up to date but the first three quarters of this book is just a rewrite of his first. I feel cheated and that this was just a money making exercise. Mr Caine writes well but it was not worth buying if you have the original.
on 23 May 2011
One of the best autobiographies I have ever read. Honest, chatty, hilarious, thoroughly interesting in describing the movie set in America, insightfuly history of Hollywood, a host of famous friends and a heartfelt description of his personal life. Just when you cant stop laughing, and you think the book is petering out, there are a few final surprises, least of which, personal Caine recipes. What more could you want from a book. Plenty of colour pictures. Left me wanting more.
on 10 June 2016
Michael Caine, a great British product from very modest background who even through his success and fame, has kept his feet firmly on the ground, unlike many others. Good for you Michael.

A great read from start to finish.

Recommended.
on 4 December 2014
And not a lot of people do know that about him. Michael Caine takes you on a gentle rollick through his wonderful life and ends up giving you cooking tips. What a very nice man.

If you only read one film biography, make it this one as you get a wry take on Hollywood, films, stars and see a very genuine guy making a spectacular success of it whilst holding on to his life and what is really important.

Understated, thoroughly entertaining and I could hear him saying the words as I read it. Great stuff.
on 2 June 2011
I only read non fiction especially biographies and autobiographies. I was pleased when this one came up for sale. I also obviously chose the best seller because the whole experience was handled professionally. The book itself came on time and in perfect condition. As for the book's content it was interesting from start to finish and thoroughbly enjoyable. Full marks to all.
on 29 November 2010
I was incredibly disappointed with this book, it has got to be the most self-indulgent pieces of writing I have ever come across and poorly written at that.

The only redeeming feature of this book is the relationship between Michael Caine and his mother. This doesn't mask the fact that he has 'liked' or made a 'best friend' out of most people he meets reduces the book to pure PR trash. There is no detail or inside track on those he has worked with - outside of what is already in the public domain.
It is also clear he needs to make a point of how much money he has earnt, to the point of making the reader cringe. Had he not made it - I think he would have happily stayed in menial jobs or gone on the dole and heaven forbid work where his father had grafted for many years.
This book actually made me dislike him and the way he describes his wife after 40 years is plain idealistic. Many people have wonderful sustaining marriages but aren't shy at admitting there have been tough patches, but obviously being Micheal Caine friend and perfect husband to all there is no mention of this.

Don't waste your money - the cover of it is about as entertaining as it gets.
on 13 December 2014
It's actually a very good read, the only reason I've rated it low is that I had read the previous book first (What's it all about?), bought this one as I assumed it was a follow on, only to find that in fact the first 2/3 of the book covered exactly the same ground as the first book but in a more condensed form. So if you haven't read the first book this is a good buy.
on 23 June 2014
I really enjoyed getting to know the man who has always come across to me as a genuine 'normal' person, enjoying the so-called ordinary things in life. Thank you, Michael (Maurice) for being so open and natural, yet keeping those secrets safe That might hurt or compromise someone else. I really enjoyed both of your autobiographies - great writing style too..