on 4 August 2014
Save your money and go straight for "Total Japanese" this is the First CD in that set re-packaged as the "Start" / "Basic" tutorial.
on 22 February 2017
Just complete the CD and am very disappointed with the amount of content, I was shocked to find that I had already completed it. It gives you a vague understanding of the language and teaches you some sentences but the content was very limited. Not good value IMO
on 6 November 2011
Let me just start off by saying I'm disappointed... that I couldn't rate this product 100/5!!!

I've wanted to learn Japanese for a while now, but I just couldn't find the resources for it on the internet - then I stumbled across this! I decided to order 'Start', just as a trial of the product, and by the end of listening to it over a few days, I had learnt every single thing mentioned on the CD!

The 'virtual classroom' was brilliant - the teacher was excellent at explaining how to put together short sentences, and telling you the best way to remember verbs. The two students in the virtual class were also helpful - the male gets most things right, but the female occasionally makes small errors, which are swiftly corrected by the teacher - this really helps get it stuck in your head how to correctly say things! Also, there is a recording of a fluent Japanese speaker saying the word or the phrase every time they ask you how to say something - this really helps you pronounce it better and gives conformation that you've said something correctly!

I would definitely recommend buying this product if you're interested in learning Japanese. Even if you just want to learn the basics of Japanese, the 'start' CD is perfect for it. It teaches you how to ask for items, how to ask useful questions and also tells you how to say the name of certain items. After I have written this review I will buy the next stage called 'total', which gives you the bulk of the Japanese language - I have no doubts that it will be just as good!

Well done Michel Thomas and whoever else developed this outstanding method!
VINE VOICEon 5 November 2012
I've tried a few ways to start to teach myself Japanese but for me the audio courses seem to work best, but which audio course? I first tried the Japanese Audio Course (Collins Easy Learning) but found that I didn't make the progress I wanted. This one was essentially learning phrases by rote without the deeper understanding of what is being said. The book had an objective which was to give the reader some useful phrases for visiting Japan and whilst useful I found it ultimately unrewarding.

Start Japanese with the Michel Thomas Method is a much different approach to the Collins one and here you are the third student in the class. You are encouraged not to try and remember words or to write anything down but just to relax, absorb and be involved. This method seems to work surprisingly well and the language seems in through a process of osmosis almost.

Each bite size lesson involves the teacher explaining a little of the background and one or two new words and then the students with a little guidance repeat or construct a new sentence. So how would you say `I sometimes drink coffee' is a typical exchange. The two students (one male and one female) each take it in turns. The male student gets most attempts correct, the female student is a little slower but that helps in that you don't feel left behind if you don't quite get it right. There is also a native Japanese speaker that then repeats the correct sentence in Japanese.

The Start Japanese with the Michel Thomas Method course has limited objectives, by the end of the course you'll have learned around 35 words (5 verbs, about 13 Nouns and sundry pronouns and adverbs). It might not sound like much but the foundation is firm and you'll know the sentence structure and how to use and pronounce many other words. It's only a start, a small step and nothing more but it does imbue the listener with the confidence and desire to learn more.

There is a nine page pamphlet with the CD that has a (very) brief synopsis of each of the fourteen lessons. You don't need it for the course but it does have the words that introduced in each lesson. I find it useful to see the words written down in Romanji.

I now intend to order Total Japanese with the Michel Thomas Method (Michel Thomas Series)and look forward to listening to the next steps. Start Japanese doesn't really cover the past tense or particles and so I'm sure the next steps will be more of a challenge but no less enjoyable.
on 25 August 2012
A decent introduction to the language. You gradually build on what you learn (e.g. You drink beer/You'll drink beer this evening/Will you drink beer this evening?).
The there are two students on the CD, that learn the language along with you. One does well, while the other has to be constantly corrected by the teacher, which helps you remember not to make the same mistake. A native speaker then says the word or phrase to help your pronunciation and comprehension.
It is a good foundation for starting the language, as it gets your head around word order, sentence structure, etc. The only shortcoming is the small amount of vocabulary (only five verbs, one question word, and less than 20 nouns) taught, but then again, you can only learn so much in the hour.
It was my first time trying the Michel Thomas method, and I will buy the Total course in the future.
on 17 April 2015
arrived quickly seems very easy to start learning just need to find the time to listen to it !
on 30 January 2016
my son wanted to learn some basic Japanese...
on 6 December 2014