on 31 March 2015
I was going to order this book, but managed to get a chance to borrow it form the library - as I wanted to teach myself Spanish.

As a beginner I was expecting the book and cd to be in English with the Spanish translation, but it was ALL in Spanish, so I found it very hard to negative myself around the book and not knowing what I was being taught.

I do not think its suitable for a beginner - but for some who is above beginner level.

Its a shame as I have heard some much about this book -
This book is best companied with a class room teaching.
on 11 April 2015
Mine didn't come with the audio cd, despite the book telling me to refer to the audio cd. I had to copy the cd of someone in my spanish class. Otherwise a very useful book
on 3 March 2014
I have been using this book for a beginners' course and, while the grammar explainations are clear and well organized and it is great that all headings and explainations are translated into English, there are many mistakes that mainly come from "saving" space for characters (lack of articles in some exercises, which is confusing for beginners unless they are told that an article is needed in some cases, literal translations from English, expressions that a Spanish native speaker would not use, etc.). I am glad that they used speakers of different Spanish dialects, but the audio quality is often poor and some speakers do not articulate clearly enough and speak too fast for beginners, which is realistic but hard to work with, in my opinion.
on 27 November 2012
When I ordered this book I thought it will come with the CD. But was surprised to see this book is not with CD. I don't think it make sense to buy this book without the CD as most of the exercises in this book are listening based and you need the CD for it.

Please do not buy this book without the CD.
on 3 November 2014
Book is very good but requires the accompanying audio CDs.Ibought the CD speaking and Listening separately but these do not match the book.The CDs are also good but as they do not match the course book leaves me some what frustrated and at a disadvantage with others in my Spanish class.
Other students have had the same experience
on 29 October 2011
This is a great book to accompany a course at evening classes. Easy to use and very useful content. Recommended by my Spanish teacher and has helped improve my Spanish...I believe the activity book is good too ..must have a look for that!Pasos 1: Coursebook: Spanish Beginner's Course (Pasos a First Course Spanish)
on 14 November 2012
The material which is in the book is very good and beautifully illustrated, and could make an enjoyable reading! The layout of the book is one of the best I have seen.

However, the big problem is that a lot of the book refers to the Audio CDs and needs the audio CD that is not included with the book!! So how can you learn it when lot of the time you don't know what the book is talking about?
on 16 February 2015
This book is excellent but only as part of a course as it is entirely in Spanish. Also, be careful as there are a number of books with similar covers for different parts of the course , such as the activity book. But if you choose carefully and get the right book for your course they are excellent.
on 27 November 2012
I wish I had read the reviews before ordering the book as I would have discovered there is no CD to accompany a book full of listening exercises!! Not happy! Although the book looks very good in terms of content I would have made an alternative choice had I known.
on 31 October 2013
Book purchased as it was compulsory with an adult eveing class beginners Spanish course I am taking. However it is very useful. Perhaps all the vocabulary used in the book could be at the back and the verbs could be in one place or directed in the appendix. Otherwise very helpful.