Customer reviews

on 28 January 2017
I'm just an average guy who is slowly trying to learn German in his spare time. I bought this book because I often found myself confused by some of the grammatical constructions that I would sometimes encounter while reading German content. I have yet to encounter anything that I couldn't find an answer to within this book. In particular, it's helped me to grasp those fuzzy 'hard-to-translate' words, like prepositions and particles (e.g. schon, auf, an, zu & many more).

I can tell this book isn't really aimed at people like me, as it's more for people who are already somewhat proficient, but I still find it extremely useful. You should definitely have a decent grasp of basic grammar terminology before reading this, but it's a great reference which demystifies the oh-so-challenging German language :-)
on 6 March 2013
Esp. good for the university student and anyone with similar level of interest/prior knowledge. I find the content challenging to deal with (although I have studied English as a foreign language to degree level), however, it really does answer every question - and raises many more before that happens ;o). Basically, you start with what you thought was a basic question and end up having to study half a chapter because you realise there is no straightforward answer. I guess, since I am a native speaker of German, simple answers would not satisfy me, because I would always find an example that does not fit the rule of thumb.

For me, the only real drawback is the layout: the pages are too crammed, and the many subheadings of various levels are confusing as one loses track of the overall structure of the chapter. A highlighter pen, however, can help make relevant subheadings stand out.
on 25 June 2013
This must be the definitive explanation of the German language - even for Germans. And apparently I need six more words.
on 19 August 2011
I taught German for nearly thirty years, am married to a German lady, and have two children who have studied German at University (and a third who kept up her German whilst studying Pharmacy). Each of my children has a copy of Hammer. My wife (who teaches German)uses her copy on a daily basis. I have used and read just about every available German Grammar, and Hammer is, in my opinion, the best by far. I recommend it to all who are serious students of German.
11 Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2013
Not for nothing is this the most widly used German Grammar in English - it is clearn, full of examples, and works very well as a reference grammar, esp. if you want to look up specific topics. Both formation and use are extensively covered.
on 15 May 2015
This is the comprehensive gold standard of german grammar, light bedtime reading it is not and likely to be pretty daunting to anyone who has not already completed at least A level standard study, but it's what you need if you want to get really good at German.
on 21 January 2013
A brilliant handbook that has now served me throughout its existence in various editions and it gets better each time. It invariably comes up trumps with clear and straightforward illustrations on points of grammar and usage. I am so glad to have it and could not imagine not having ready access to it. Almost bedtime reading!
on 15 February 2015
Since 1971, Hammer's and Durrell's grammars have been the ultimate example of German grammar and usage.

This is the definitive "reference grammar", matching perfectly the realities of spoken usage with the requirements of different registers.

Six stars!
on 29 August 2012
This is the one and only ADVANCED German grammar book in English on the market. (Incidentally, it is inferior to the earlier edition which has much better quality paper). You will not master German at advanced level by using this book - it is inadequate in many areas especially the modal verbs. If you are at university level then you really ought to be using "Deutsch als Fremdsprache: Übungsgrammatik für Fortgeschrittene" by Hall & Scheiner (publisher: Hueber) which is superior in every respect. Lots and lots of exercises with answers in the back and not requiring a cheeky extra Workbook that you have to buy for this Durrell tome (which is also not very good).
55 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 September 2015
I'm studying for a BA (honours) Language Studies in my spare time. This book, although not being a set book, comes highly recommended and covers all aspects of German grammar. No doubt it will get plenty of use.