on 7 April 2012
The book seems very good but the add gives the impression that a CD is included: it is not. for the book to be of any real benefit you will have to buy the associated CD.Teach Yourself Complete Welsh
on 8 February 2017
Returned because the title led me to assume that I would have access to the audio CD with the ebook.
on 21 August 2011
I have done Welsh before but still found this product hard to get on with. it didn't follow the book exactly and was very easy to lose where you were. The cd was too fast and did not alow enough time for responce. Compared to other teach yourself courses it's not easiest.
on 20 April 2017
I'd give this book 3.5 stars. However, I rounded up to 4.

Two points that annoyed me: 1. lack of good grammatical explainations and 2. frustrating audio layout

1. Is pretty self explainatory; it was difficult to follow this book solely using the book due to the lack of grammatical explainations. I took away 0.5 of a star for this.

2. The layout of the audio is damn right annoying.
For example, there are 5 dialogues in Unit 1. You would expect, or atleast I'd expect, each dialogue to be put on a seperate track on the CD -- not so here! They have all Unit 1's 5 dialogues and all the Welsh pronunciation audio shoved onto Track 1! And so on with the other Units.
That makes it impossible to listen to on a CD player or in the car.

Advice: Put all dialogues' audio -- the most important components of the course -- each onto a seperate track!!
Might I suggest a layout like this:

Track 1 - Welsh Pronounciation
Track 2- Unit 1 Dialogue 1
Track 3 - Unit 1 Dialogue 2
Track 4 - Unit 1 Dialogue 3
etc, etc..

I had to manually edit all the dialogues onto seperate tracks using audacity. This took up alot of time. I took away 1 star for this.

Other than the aforementioned, I am enjoying the course and with the aforesaid points corrected it could be a 5 star course.

My advice for users who may be frustrated with the speed of the dialogue's speech would be to listen multiple times and read the dialogue at the same time. Then, perhaps on a different day, try and listen out for certain words or phrases whilst just listening. Over time, you will get better.
on 27 August 2011
Complete Turkish (TY Complete Courses)]]

This is a much easier course to follow than many others. Full pronunciation practise is given together with a concise explanation of grammatical points as they occur.I heartily recommend the book and CD.[[ASIN:1444132466 Teach Yourself
on 27 November 2016
Having purchased and used several of these Teach Yourself language books, I was quite disappointed by this particular one. Doesn't seem to follow the same method as the others. It's almost impossible to keep up with the lessons, as there is often no translation or explanation for new vocabulary throughout. Same for the grammar. So after a few lessons I found myself completely lost and unable to continue. Just not an intuitive, gradual book for beginners. I would recommend rewriting this book from scratch as it's just not fit for purpose.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2012
I bought this new (2010) edition of Teach Yourself Turkish, hoping that it would be an improved and expanded version of the 2003 edition, which I have been using for the past five years.

However, I was disappointed to find that the only difference between the two versions was a new cover. Even the typos of the 2003 edition had not been corrected, but were reproduced exactly the same in the 2010 edition. In addition, the binding, which many people had complained about in the 2003 edition, was still as weak as before.

Shame on the publishers for simply recovering the book, and putting the price up by 14%, while not correcting obvious mistakes and not making the binding more durable!

Having said that, what is between the covers is still, in my opinion, a first class and comprehensive introduction to Turkish language and grammar at beginner and intermediate levels.
on 8 January 2013
I love this book. To learn a language you need the right materials to suit you and this one was perfect for me. Right amount of grammar and vocab with each lesson and its arranged so its easy enough to understand. After just studying the first chapter a few times I was able to say quite a lot of things when on holiday in Turkey. I highly recommend this book for travellers and people planning to stay in Turkey longer term ts an excellent resource.
on 29 October 2011
I'm about a quarter of the way through this book and am finding it to be a good practical guide to learning Turkish grammar.
on 28 July 2013
The idea of a language course with text and audio both conveniently accessible on the Kindle seemed like one of those "how logical - why has no one done this before" ideas. Unfortunately, despite being fully updated, the sound files were not compatible with my Kindle, or my wife's. I even tried a the Kindle app on a tablet - still no joy.
The book is great and would deserve 4 if not 5 stars, but the "value added" of the integrated sound files didn't work for us. Maybe it will in time; until then, caveat emptor, and thank goodness Amazon makes refunds so painless.