Customer reviews

on 29 March 2012
This is a very well written book! I learned so much about how to read urdu. Even though you can read arabic script urdu can be hard to handle :) - But this book is very different from other books I have read. I can highly recommend it to everybody who is studying urdu.
on 7 December 2016
I am from India and saw this book on a shelf in a bookstore in Bangalore. I was always interested in learning the Urdu script but never knew how to. I bought the book and within 10 days I had learnt the script. After that it was merely a matter of practising reading and writing. It has been 11 years since then and I have read dozens of Urdu books and feel comfortable with the language to such and extent that I can call it my second mother tongue.
on 15 June 2011
Being a native Hindi speaker and aware of the similarities between the two languages, I was keen to find a book that taught the Nasta'likh script used to write Urdu minus other information on grammar, conversation, etc. This book is truly well worth it (and very reasonably priced too!). After an enthusiastic start, I wondered if it would have been better had the different series of the Urdu alphabet been clubbed together as I'd seen in other books. However, in retrospect, the approach taken by this author was quite clever. Some alphabets were/are naturally difficult to master but this layout doesn't give you the feeling you're going no where. And that is because almost every subsequent chapter contains letters that a previous chapter has already done the ground work for. This made it easier to progress without feeling like putting down the book for "later." I do agree, however, that a larger font might be useful for future editions. But regardless of that tiny (constructive) criticism, I'd definitely recommend buying a copy of this book if you fancy learning the Urdu script! It truly gives you enough grounding to begin to read newspapers, signboards, etc. (at a snail's place at first!) before heading on to more challenging projects.
on 15 November 2011
Generally good. Would have preferred it to be a little longer. I don't think anything will make learning Urdu script either easy or enjoyable. But this is certainly the best resource I've found.
on 21 January 2011
Gradually improves familiarity to letters/words.
Tried other teach yourself books for Urdu but this is the best I've come across so far.
on 2 February 2011
A good introduction to a difficult (for westerners) script. The Urdu script is reasonably clear (too small font in other books so you can't work out the twists and turns). I would like an even larger font published in A4 but this is a good start.
on 3 November 2015
so nice, I love it so much