on 11 October 2017
A very good book if you're interested in learning shorthand.
on 11 May 2017
Great book. Easy to use and well laid out. The step by step instructions really help when teaching yourself shorthand.
on 25 October 2017
Being a complete beginner to shorthand I was looking for a basic book to teach myself this useful skill. I'm still working through this and am finding most things easy to follow, some things could be a little better explained , but overall I'm happy with my purchase and will hopefully be able to read and write shorthand once I've finished reading.
on 5 May 2014
Just what I needed as a refresher book for the Pitmans Shorthand I originally learned in 1946 to help me with my School exams. There are now so many new words, but the basics are still there, thank goodness.
on 1 March 2011
I bought this book for my daughter who is learning from my mother. It is clearly written and very easy to follow - so much so that even I am interested in learning. My mother, who is a VERY experienced shorthand writer for almost 75 years, did find it frustrating that it didn't teach 'shortcuts' and abbreviations the way she taught herself when she was 8. A minor problem perhaps, unless the book is being used as a teaching tool by an 82 year old!
on 5 June 2011
Good value considering it comes with two CDs. Main drawback is the cheap printing quality, which makes it difficult to discern between light and heavy characters. You need to get hold of a second-hand copy of Pitman's New Course and use both books in tandem.
on 1 October 2010
This looks like quite a good book, but I am appalled at the number of typos.
I'm up to page 4 and I've lost count already. The latest is a sentence that just doesn't make sense. I think I can figure out what the author meant to write, but this is not a good way to learn a new language like shorthand.

I didn't originally feel it would be necessary to list the errors, I don't enjoy writing negative reviews and prefer to use a lighter touch when I do, but for those who doubt me take a look here:

Page xii, Para 2: "Repetitive reading is need to become a fast and fluent reader."
Shouldn't "need" be "needed" in this context?

Page xii, Para 4(b): "... and the distinction has to be made between those that are very light and those that area little heavier."
Did the author mean "area" or "are"

Page xiii, Para 6: "Similarly, the spelling of a word like bough bears little relationship to the sounds we hear, which are just two: Band the diphthong OW - and these are the two sounds that we write in shorthand"
"Band" was probably meant to be "B and"

Page 4, Positions of Outlines 2 "Is it the first upward or downward stroke that goes above, on or through the line."
Either this was meant to be a question in which case it should end with a "?" or it is meant to be a statement in which case it should begin with "It is" and not "Is it".

So there we have it. Four errors by the end of page 4.
22 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 February 2016
I purchased this book because I wanted to resurrect my shorthand, learned 30 years ago at college. There are bits I remember, but even so it moves FAST. One of the early exercises has a letter not introduced at that stage, and another has a mistake in the answer. However, I'm getting there with it, and it contains all the information needed. It does introduce quite a large number of short forms over the course of two pages, which is a lot to take in and remember. For a beginner, I would recommend a book that moves more slowly.
on 10 January 2017
I think Pitman's reputation is based on deceit. They pretend that it's possible to leave out ALL THE VOWELS and still be able to read it. Are you really going to remember to go back and insert the ones that are essential? Will you really know which ones you'll need later?

While it's true that many words are legible without vowels, there are many hundreds that are not. In Classic Pitman, "artisans" is written the same way as "righteousness". And "pathetic" is written the same way as "apathetic"; "absolute" the same way as "obsolete"; "damnation" as "admonition"; "aspersion" as "aspiration"; "demonstration" as "administration" -- the list goes on and ON.

Some Pitman textbooks give lists of hundreds of words that have to be written in special ways contrary to the theory, in an effort to make up for the lack of vowels -- which in systems that write them, is never a problem.
on 30 March 2017
Relearning shorthand what a good book